EFL Statement

"Premiership return ticket"...bought one...had one ever since..How long was that ago...

Luckily it was superseded by the "Europe in 5 years" season...got one of those...

apparently I can't claim owt back, cos I had a week in Torremelinos with the missus...(Gotta read the small print lads.)

And if  DC spouts about lack of support ..this that and the other...Have 20 f.ookin' years of it Delphjon....Youve been here 2 minutes mate.

20'000 tipping up...given hardly anything back...dropping down to the 3rd division...f.ook "League 1"..Its the sodding 3rd division...STILL 20'000 tip up

We get up... 39'000 tip up!!!...

If a set of fans deserved more than being charged upwards of £40 to watch their team play...Its Wednesday fans

Edited by asteener1867
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

And just how many years has that been trotted out Mycroft....Don't get me wrong...I agree.

But ive been nodding like a dog to that mantra for 2 decades...I nodded like a dog to that mantra all the way through the 70's

I can't argue with it, sadly nor can I argue with any Owls fan who says

"FFS!...give over"

There are some Wednesday fans, me probably among them, who don't help the situation by blind loyalty and sad obsequience

I spoke to my dad yesterday, and he asked me is this serious. I said I wasn't sure but worried that the EFL would make an example and statement. 

We reminisced and he, as always, looked at the worst side, and said, 'they'll be playing in front of 8,000 again in't third division like when I started taking you'. I laughed this off, but did think afterwards that we really need to think about where this is all going. I watched Stoke on Sky the other night and their stadium was practically empty save for the sold out section of West Brom fans. We can not assume we've got some blind-loyal fans that will just rock up irrespective of events. 1975/76 proved to me that things can unravel very quickly.

7 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Its well documented how we got here (read the last 100 pages for a start), we would be better off debating how we move on.  

I think that's the key isn't it.

At present, we seem to not know how this will unravel. The EFL don't even have a precedent for the charges, if proven. This could drag on and clearly once this weekend ends, other news will take the place and we'll be preparing for the next game.

However, this matter will be hovering above us until the EFL conclude the outcome. SWFC will no doubt put up a robust defence, and whilst I will still want to know why we ended up in this position, I will be hoping our defence will prove successful and we end up with just a financial penalty. It's damage limitation now for me.

32 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

I'm no accountant by my trade,

me moneys all being labour made

strength by sinew, not by brain

Its money!..so its all the same

One day, although I forget when 

I sold  me house back.... to me sen!

and as the cash did not flow in

I sold  it............to meself......again

This money makin' foolproof scheme

was not the cast iron fing it seemed

bewildered by financial strain...

I sold , then bought it back ............again

Me balance was plunged in the red

so I thought of sumfink else instead..

I charged meself a massive rent

each week a massive cheque I sent

unto meself, i paid me loads...

I now live on...Jordan...Road (s)

Philip Larkin would be proud of that. lol

5 hours ago, MAL said:

He did try to explain that, to people that would listen anyway.

Never did he mean the fans money was irrelevant.

The more he brought in from other areas i.e. season tickets, the more HE could put in himself.

The more season tickets sold, meant more up front money, which meant HE could put more money in.

High match day prices, to try and make fans buy season tickets, which by the way saves them money, to enable him to put more money in.

Just think how much he could have put in if he had lots of money making streams, ie sponsorship, catering, retail, corporate, selling players. Even people paying on the day to watch us, thousands of them, all eating and drinking and buying things from the club shop and coming back again the following week and buying more food and things from the shop and buying season tickets, leaving other people to pay on the day, buying things and eating and drinking and on and in and on and on............. 

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

When you have to walk all the way round to avoid coming into contact with all eighteen Shrewsbury fans   lol

It's not so much Shrewsbury that i'm worried about,It where we might be playing against if the EFL Decide to take a really hard line againsr us and demote us to the bottom tier.The likes of going to Morecombe and Exeter just fill me with dread. WTF:

3 minutes ago, Animis said:

I think that's the key isn't it.

At present, we seem to not know how this will unravel. The EFL don't even have a precedent for the charges, if proven. This could drag on and clearly once this weekend ends, other news will take the place and we'll be preparing for the next game.

However, this matter will be hovering above us until the EFL conclude the outcome. SWFC will no doubt put up a robust defence, and whilst I will still want to know why we ended up in this position, I will be hoping our defence will prove successful and we end up with just a financial penalty. It's damage limitation now for me.

My simplistic take on it 

DC probably wanted to go up in two or three seasons but when the opportunity presented in the his first season he had to take the gamble and go for it.  Probably paying to much in wages, then in the second season he gambled again on Rhodes etc.

If he hadn't gone for it then the fans would be saying he's not prepared to invest in quality players.

Since then he's had to deal with FFP and now things have come to ahead with selling the club (why didn't the league warn him off about doing that?) which has signed off by the Accounts Company.  

He's got here by wanting to get the club promoted, the first chairman in years who wanted success for the club. 

Yes he's made mistakes (name a chairman who hasn't) but they are well intentioned ones.  I would have liked an experienced hand next to him, Howard Wilkinson type for instance to guide and advise him.

I know Im blowing in the wind but we need to look to the future not to the past.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Whether it be football stadium 

A housing Estate 

An Industrial Estate 

A watersports venue :ph34r:

That plot of land is not worth 60 million quid ...

Anyone who thinks otherwise is living in Cloud Cuckoo land !!!.......

Any Road up ........

I've got half a dozen deceptively large terrace houses on Vere road ......

Will take 2 million each for a quick sale ........

Do they have swimming pools in the cellar? If they come with diving board I might be interested....... 

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

My simplistic take on it 

DC probably wanted to go up in two or three seasons but when the opportunity presented in the his first season he had to take the gamble and go for it.  Probably paying to much in wages, then in the second season he gambled again on Rhodes etc.

If he hadn't gone for it then the fans would be saying he's not prepared to invest in quality players.

Since then he's had to deal with FFP and now things have come to ahead with selling the club (why didn't the league warn him off about doing that?) which has signed off by the Accounts Company.  

He's got here by wanting to get the club promoted, the first chairman in years who wanted success for the club. 

Yes he's made mistakes (name a chairman who hasn't) but they are well intentioned ones.  I would have liked an experienced hand next to him, Howard Wilkinson type for instance to guide and advise him.

I know Im blowing in the wind but we need to look to the future not to the past.

Totally understand your points. I was excited in the initial 2015-2016 acquisitions as finally we were investing to compete rather than 'making up the numbers'. The 2016-2017 acquisitions onwards, were very poor and in some cases (Erby) very dubious. These acquisitions have ultimately lead us to this moment of serious P&S breaches.

I think DC has a tremendous attribute of loyalty in people he works with; be they players, managers, or advisors. I'm not sure this has served him well however.

It may take DC a few years to be accustomed to the anglo-saxon culture and be more ruthless. One thing I think he needs to improve on is being quicker to act and being more decisive. 

I agree with your point of bringing in advisors of proven quality, and yes perhaps Wilko could have advised him better than some of the other so called advisors.

45 minutes ago, Animis said:

I spoke to my dad yesterday, and he asked me is this serious. I said I wasn't sure but worried that the EFL would make an example and statement. 

We reminisced and he, as always, looked at the worst side, and said, 'they'll be playing in front of 8,000 again in't third division like when I started taking you'. I laughed this off, but did think afterwards that we really need to think about where this is all going. I watched Stoke on Sky the other night and their stadium was practically empty save for the sold out section of West Brom fans. We can not assume we've got some blind-loyal fans that will just rock up irrespective of events. 1975/76 proved to me that things can unravel very quickly.

I think we would have to spend over 5 years in lower leagues to get down to 8,000 attendances again, even when finishing in bottom half of league one on two occasions we weren't far off an 20,000 average.

2 minutes ago, bradowl said:

I think we would have to spend over 5 years in lower leagues to get down to 8,000 attendances again, even when finishing in bottom half of league one on two occasions we weren't far off an 20,000 average.

Possibly - although things have changed since 2004/05 & 2011/2102. Attendances whilst fairly stable over the last 10 years are now dropping, and this counting all ticket sales is distorting the actually attendance. Arsenal and other PL teams see this, and the Stoke game I mentioned above, whilst disclosing 22k attendance had thousands of empty seats in the home areas. The caretaker manager said after the game, '"To see an empty ground at the end like we did, that's not what this club's is about. It was hard to watch, I can understand the fans walking out. It's heartbreaking." There were a literally a few thousand at the end.

Once fans find something else to do they quickly move on. We shouldn't just think fans will come irrespective of events. I've said before, that I've noticed that the average age at home games is increasing - is this just disposal income taking effect, and some middle age affluent season ticket fans can choose when they turn up