EFL Statement

11 minutes ago, TommyCraig said:

Of course it's a fair thing. Not only do we have a two tiered system with the PL under different rules, we also have two tiers within the champ with parachute payments. Being only able to make a loss of 39 mil  to reach the vast riches of the PL when an owner can clearly back up such losses is actually being a nanny state especially when there is no wage cap to go hand in hand with said restrictions.

Why not dish the punishment straight off and let us challenge that, as they seem to do in most cases?

The EFL is a joke of an organisation with muddy rules and muddy rulings.

It's about time it changed.

I’m not saying the FA, EFL, premier league are faultless, far from it, but most clubs seem to manage. 

Sadly far too many clubs are ran by absolute cretins 

Most of these “rules” have been given the ok by owners of clubs in the first place. 

Edited by torres

1 minute ago, rickygoo said:

The Football League Board meets monthly and consists of two independent directors, three directors representing the Championship, two representing League One, and one representing League Two.

The clubs have a big say in what happens. 

I hope Gibson isn't included. Hopefully choose Morris, one from Reading and Bristol.

1 minute ago, torres said:

I’m not saying the FA, EFL, premier league are faultless, far from it, but most clubs seem to manage. 

Sadly far too many clubs are ran by absolute cretins 

And many are way better at navigating their way around rules and loopholes, and that shouldn't be the basis on how successful your club is but I take your point. 

• Like 1

I'm no better placed than anyone else here (worse in fact than a few, like mkowl) to know the precise details of what we have done or whether it can be maneuvered around the finer points of the regulations. But come on, let's not pretend we are the victims here. That stuff about taxis and energy drinks has been openly ridiculed on here for months. And that has surprisingly been completely out in the open. If it's not against the letter of the 'law' (in football terms) then it's certainly against the spirit of it. And selling the stadium to the party that effectively owns it in the first place, without evidently transferring any cash or allegedly registering it anywhere until months later is at least desperate and grubby, if it's not actually against the rules (and plenty of others have resorted to similar without penalty it seems).

As I've said a couple of times already in this thread; maybe we end up getting away with this. But that doesn't make it any less reprehensible. The club's name has been cheapened, everyone connected to it has been caused anxiety for who knows how long and it's clear that this has been an enormous risk that could have jeopardised our status in this division, potentially for years to come. Scrutiny of the chairman (and his advisors) and his methods, which had been slowly been dissipating will rise again and affect confidence in how well placed we are for the future. And that's the best way it can turn out. If we are found guilty, the punishment will presumably be severe, and who knows what the long term effects of that might be?

It's certainly appropriate to advise caution in these circumstances, but some appear to be completely oblivious to the worst of the possibilities; armed with nothing more than blind faith and a cheery disposition (or aggressive arrogance in a few cases). It's nothing to do with point-scoring, emotional insecurity or revelling in the misery - it's simple pragmatism. If the building is burning down around you and you can't find the exit, I'd say it's entirely reasonable to be concerned about your future prospects instead of whistling a happy tune and angrily chastising those around you who are getting worried.

Edited by DJMortimer

2 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I'm no better placed than anyone else here (worse in fact than a few, like mkowl) to know the precise details of what we have done or whether it can be maneuvered around the finer points of the regulations. But come on, let's not pretend we are the victims here. That stuff about taxis and energy drinks has been openly ridiculed on here for months. And that has surprisingly been completely out in the open. If it's not against the letter of the 'law' (in football terms) then it's certainly against the spirit of it. And selling the stadium to the party that effectively owns it in the first place, without evidently transferring any cash or allegedly registering it anywhere until months later is at least desperate and grubby, if it's not actually against the rules (and plenty of others have resorted to similar without penalty it seems).

As I've said a couple of times already in this thread; maybe we end up getting away with this. But that doesn't make it any less reprehensible. The club's name has been cheapened, everyone connected to it has been caused anxiety for who knows how long and it's clear that this has been an enormous risk that could have jeopardised our status in this division, potentially for years to come. Scrutiny of the chairman (and his advisors) and his methods, which had been slowly been dissipating will rise again and affect confidence in how well placed we are for the future. And that's the best way it can turn out. If we are found guilty, the punishment will presumably be severe, and who knows what the long term effects of that might be?

It's certainly appropriate to advise caution in these circumstances, but some appear to be completely oblivious to the worst of the possibilities; armed with nothing more than blind faith and a cheery disposition (or aggressive arrogance in a few cases). It's nothing to do with point-scoring, emotional insecurity or revelling in the misery - it's simple pragmatism. If the building is burning down around you and you can't find the exit, I'd say it's entirely reasonable to be concerned about your future prospects instead of whistling a happy tune and angrily chastising those around you who are getting worried.

I work with Leeds fans who see us, and openly talk about us being a dodgy club, with a load of snidey fiddles on the go.

To hear that from Leeds fans shows how things have changed the last few years.

Personally I think our desperation for success has led to us accepting things a few years ago we would have been outraged at other clubs doing.

Maybe it's a sign of the times, but it doesn't sit well.

7 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

I work with Leeds fans who see us, and openly talk about us being a dodgy club, with a load of snidey fiddles on the go.

Personally I think our desperation for success has led to us accepting things a few years ago we would have been outraged at other clubs doing.

We’ve become a club it’s difficult to be proud of at times - which is hard to admit 

2 hours ago, mkowl said:

Ignore when the cash is paid. It is recognised in the accounts when the contract is signed.

So, I’m assuming we should have paid the stamp duty when the contract was signed?

If we did, surely we have a strong case, if we didn’t, we’ll have some difficulty convincing anyone that we’ve played with a straight bat!

But surely if we didn't pay the stamp duty that isn't something for the EFL to investigate and adjudicate on it's HMRC (?). From what I've read we posted our accounts they were audited and accepted by everybody including the EFL so all.that's in question is the sale of the ground and whether it was for "market" value and as somebody had already pointed out that would have been determined by a professional valuer.

4 minutes ago, WBridgfordowl said:

So, I’m assuming we should have paid the stamp duty when the contract was signed?

If we did, surely we have a strong case, if we didn’t, we’ll have some difficulty convincing anyone that we’ve played with a straight bat!

All we can do is hope we somehow get away with it. Not looking likely.

If we by some miracle get away with this, DC still needs to change.  We can't go on season after season falling foul of the rules.

No more imaginary companies, no more selling our assets to ourselves, no more deals with Portuguese advisors. Enough is enough.

If we have to start rebuilding a squad from scratch then so be it. At least it will be an honest squad.

17 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Tell them to fuckoff, seriously!

They’ve had Bates and the dodgy Italian bloke who Lees caught snorting charlie on his desk.

Everyone goes on about United who only 2 years ago had a truly secret embargo and avoided a winding up order by borrowing money from the Bin Ladens.

The problem is the modern game and the need to be murky to compete for the big prize.

17 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

It started with the price hikes. Leeds did it and we boycotted them. We do it and suddenly it’s the only way to compete. 

The ground sale was a desperate measure - exploiting a loophole that had opened up to cover a plan that had failed, narrowly that’s true but if you’re embarking on a risky strategy you should have some thought as to the consequences of failure. 

9 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

They’ve had Bates and the dodgy Italian bloke who Lees caught snorting charlie on his desk.

Everyone goes on about United who only 2 years ago had a truly secret embargo and avoided a winding up order by borrowing money from the Bin Ladens.

The problem is the modern game and the need to be murky to compete for the big prize.

Thats just simply slinging mud when you're covered in it Bert....Its gone past that

You can't go into a courtroom after nickin' a car sayin' you think thats ok cos you know someone who nicked a bus

Edited by asteener1867

7 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

Don't worry I do.

The fact they even have an opportunity to call us bent is bizarre though.

Like you say maybe we have to be murky to compete. The modern game sucks balls.