EFL Statement

For whatever reason he seems to have his critics on here, but Kieran Maguire's interview with The Star is pretty good just to explain what's going on without getting lost in excessive conjecture and speculation:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/latest-owls-news/sheffield-wednesday-efl-misconduct-charge-what-does-it-mean-will-they-get-points-deduction-and-how-long-will-it-all-take-1019834

Just now, striker said:

Dont disagree with this in principle. We've tried to comply with the rules,  do what the EFL asked and we've been prevented from competing through embargoes for almost 2 seasons. 

I'd argue that we've already been punished, but if additional punishment is coming  time to tell the EFL to go fizz themselves and let it play out in the courts. 

Someone needs to stand up to the EFL.

Any sort of financial punishment would be fair and should be aimed at Chansiri/Accountants. But as soon as they start dragging point deductions into it, the fans & the staff are the ones really getting punished, let alone the league's reputation.

1 hour ago, victorturner said:

Got a point there. Bungling approach to Huddersfield in particular.

Sorry to pick you up on this, and to post something not particularly relevant to this thread (but good knows I need a break from EFL rules)... but its been mentioned several times on this thread and others that the Huddersfield semi-final was basically a walkover and we bottled it. Seems to have become Owlstalk received wisdom by now.

That Huddersfield team under Wagner was very well organised and tough to beat. They had also had the luxury of close to a month of preparation time when it was clear they would make the playoffs but not the top two. They were ahead of us in the league by quite some margin for most of the season before they rested up the final few games.

They only added a small number of first team players for their next season in the Premier League, and if their home and away matches that season had counted as two-legged ties they would have beaten several much better, and more expensively assembled teams than us:

Huddersfield Town 3 vs Crystal Palace 2 (3-0 away & 0-2 at home)

Huddersfield Town 3 vs West Brom 1 (2-1 & 1-0)

Huddersfield Town 3 vs Brighton 1 (2-1 & 1-0)

Huddersfield Town 5 vs Watford 1 (1-0 & 1-4 win away)

And, we didn't even lose to them - it was a draw after 210 minutes that went to penalties. Which puts us in the same bracket as these teams they played the next season

Huddersfield Town 1 vs Southampton 1 (0-0 & 1-1)

Huddersfield Town 1 vs Newcastle 1 (1-0 & 0-1)

Huddersfield Town 0 vs Burnley 0 (0-0 & 0-0)

FFS - even Man City, the most expensive and most successful team in history that season (with a record 100 points that season) only beat that Huddersfield team 2-1 on aggregate over two games. If Aguero, De Bruyne and Sterling struggled against them then imagine how much toucher it was for Jones, Winnall and Reach.

3 minutes ago, room0035 said:

If we look at Birmingham as a good example the got docked 9 points for financial irregularities, then another 3 points for trying to sign a player when in a transfer embargo a player that the EFL subsequently allowed to complete his transfer.

We are getting done for financial irregularities if the sale of the ground is not allowed, then we will also get done for the dodgy dealing of selling the ground to a company that did not exist at the time of the supposed sale. 

Best case scenario as the EFL have apparently signed off all of our accounts and only when Heir Gibson moaned, have they looked into our club dealing we could be looking at a 6-12 point deduction ala Birmingham. But I also think there will be a fine, but for me this should be not paid for by Sheffield Wednesday but DC, as why should the fans and the club pay yet again for DC and his advisor not having a clue what they are doing.

Maybe DC and his advisors do know what they're doing in relation to this matter? I am sure we will have spoken to numerous people about this and taken their advice. Whilst we as a football club have no option other than to abide by what the EFL say, accountants/,auditors, lawyers and PI companies dont and they will not let the EFL walk all over them and will fight this if we lose. Let's support the club being right on this rather than automatically assume we've done something wrong and slit our wrists without knowing what the outcome will be. 

There's no agenda driven on here.  I used to think that in 2004 when if you said something a bit silly you would be round upon.  Although I can appreciate why people refrain from posting on here and simply read it.

It's just full of people with too much time on their hands...many love Wednesday and know about the dealings at S6 a lot more than me...who just likes to turn up on a Saturday, have a couple of beers and watch our team hopefully pick up some points.

I can also understand why people never/rarely go in the dressing room section...It can be just depressing and full of business talk.  Now it's been promoted to the matchday section and nobody can ignore it now.

I'll like to add that sometimes on here, i've had a right laugh at what is posted and the sense of humour on here, even during dark times, has been amazing.

17 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

Ok then ........ the vast majority of people to whom I speak both at home and most definitely away absolutely think this site has been allowed to turn into an agenda driven parody of itself and in no way reflects their thoughts or ideas of what it is to be a Wednesdayite .... ok?

Yeah fine, as I said you’re entitled to your opinion. 

Although I actually asked if you think most posters on here are not Wednesday fans. I didn’t ask for a report on your conversations with some people I don’t know.

2 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Yeah fine, as I said you’re entitled to your opinion. 

Although I actually asked if you think most posters on here are not Wednesday fans. I didn’t ask for a report on your conversations with some people I don’t know.

But you don’t know me either?

1 hour ago, mkowl said:

As stated earlier when the stamp duty was paid is totally irrelevant to the date of recognition in the accounting records. 

But can surely be used as evidence of the date that the ground was purchased, which is the issue!?

The date of recognition in the accounts is what the EFL are querying right?

Edited by briggowl

Guest The Horse

Ideal scenario is the charges are dropped after the challenge and we go onto secure promotion.

Cue Gibson and Sean Bean leading a parade of pink protesters down to parliament.