EFL Statement

21 minutes ago, kilnhurstowl said:

Its catch 22 isn't it . In one hand to compete and be where we want to be we have to spend big (teams who get promoted on low budgets are not that common) but yet to stay within our means involves us sitting in mid to lower table like we used to. We don't have the ground to be able to improve on facilities.  We don't have the infrastructure to bring players through and sell. And we don't have the pull to attract big advertising revenues. 

I'm at a loss as to what it is we can realistically do. Would we as fans take mid table for a few seasons to get ourselves sorted financially and just spend within our means?? I don't know. 

All I know is football is a mess. So sad. ¾

Would I be right in thinking you are a glass half empty kind of guy ?

Guest addedtime
23 minutes ago, kilnhurstowl said:

Its catch 22 isn't it . In one hand to compete and be where we want to be we have to spend big (teams who get promoted on low budgets are not that common) but yet to stay within our means involves us sitting in mid to lower table like we used to. We don't have the ground to be able to improve on facilities.  We don't have the infrastructure to bring players through and sell. And we don't have the pull to attract big advertising revenues. 

I'm at a loss as to what it is we can realistically do. Would we as fans take mid table for a few seasons to get ourselves sorted financially and just spend within our means?? I don't know. 

All I know is football is a mess. So sad. ¾

I think it's to encourage a slow burning sustainable building of a club. So no boom or bust

1 hour ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

If the EFL really want a level playing field

There should be no parachute payments from the Premier League

Either that or the FFP limit should be increased to the level of at least the first parachute payment.

When you look at how the club is haemorrhaging money something has to give - for 2017/18 DC ploughed in just over £61m to keep us afloat.

He up'd the share issue of SWFC Holdings from 25m to 46m ordinary shares in June, which he owns lock stock.

Katrien Meire resigned her directorship in Feb 2018, two weeks before we announced to company's house that we were changing the financial year reporting. Whether she knew the ground sale was in scope at the time or whether it's just a coincidence.

Fair play to DC - he's certainly ploughing his own furrow on his. I just hope he sticks it out whatever the EFL charges end up being.

5 minutes ago, Animis said:

When you look at how the club is haemorrhaging money something has to give - for 2017/18 DC ploughed in just over £61m to keep us afloat.

He up'd the share issue of SWFC Holdings from 25m to 46m ordinary shares in June, which he owns lock stock.

Katrien Meire resigned her directorship in Feb 2018, two weeks before we announced to company's house that we were changing the financial year reporting. Whether she knew the ground sale was in scope at the time or whether it's just a coincidence.

Fair play to DC - he's certainly ploughing his own furrow on his. I just hope he sticks it out whatever the EFL charges end up being.

An eye watering amout there, £61M. You cannot question his finncial commitment to the club. 

Even if we get the points deduction, he tried and failed to get us out of a position we would have got anyway!

He deserves a bit of slack for me. 

Edited by Brad_owl

35 minutes ago, Brad_owl said:

An eye watering amout there, £61M. You cannot question his finncial commitment to the club. 

Even if we get the points deduction, he tried and failed to get us out of a position we would have got anyway!

He deserves a bit of slack for me. 

He should give supporters a bit of slack in return like having more sensible tickets prices and running the club better.

I can't disagree he has put a lot of money into the club but Chansiri has been like a bloke buying an expensive Ferrari without having a driving licence.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

Not really within the EFL's power to decide on what the Premier League do or dont do. 

What they could do is allow the owners of non parachute clubs to pay into the club the equivalent amount over a 3 year period that a newly relegated club receives in parachute payments as long as this is converted to equity rather than shown as director loans

Then clubs allowed to compete and effectively lose £39m plus the additional amount the owner covers to equity in the period.

Edited by wellbeaten-the-owl
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Animis said:

He has definitely put a lot of money in but if he managed the club better he would have had to put £61m in.

So many many mistakes have been made from every aspect of running the club, makes you wonder what business he was in before.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

Not really within the EFL's power to decide on what the Premier League do or dont do. 

Agreed but the EFL could exclude the extra income when calculating the P&S limits but they have decided not too.

4 hours ago, the monk said:

Would I be right in thinking you are a glass half empty kind of guy ?

Lol. No not at all , quite the opposite in fact Just looking at the trueness of the situation.  Don't see a reason to think spend spend spend would be Ok. 

Would love to know what you think we can realistically do whilst living within our means. 

Very much identify with those who don't like the rules. But I'm afraid that from our point of view, the problem is there isn't a problem.

The Premier League is a huge and apparently growing global brand. Within this it has six clubs who have established themselves also as global brands, and who drive most of the revenue. Sports bars in Toronto will fill up for Arsenal - Man U. Burnley - Watford will be on in the background. It helps that a club like Leicester can occasionally throw up challenges to the global clubs, but from a marketing point of view I doubt the league wants too much of that because the loyalties attach to the big clubs. (There's some evidence that dedicated overseas viewers pick a main club and then another club they'll adopt for a while, and maybe look out for results when that club gets relegated). There's no shortage of clubs wanting to join the circus and in recent years some of them have done surprisingly well. But it doesn't matter when in the end Reading or Swansea disappear. The filler clubs are needed, but their precise identity doesn't matter all that much. The parachute system works because although it may lure clubs into bad decisions, it encourages them to invest in quality, which means the lump of non-global brands don't get left too far behind. A competitive relegation battle is a side show, but still not a bad side show to market.

Now below all of this there are clubs that were once important(ish) players in English football: Sunderland, Derby, Forest, Birmingham, etc. And maybe some or all of them will make it into the PL one day; or not. From the traditionalist point of view, Forest are a far bigger club than say Brighton, but for the target consumer it doesn't much matter. Yes, it might be sad if some of these names fade away, but that's what happens to badly run or even unlucky businesses even in thriving sectors. Compare the FTSE 100 today with the index 25 years ago. Football remains buoyant, growing, capable of exploiting the new media, and that some struggle within that framework is just one of these things. Replacements, perhaps better run, are to hand. There isn't really a problem sitting there waiting to be solved.

I don't like this either, but there we have it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Animis said:

Katrien Meire resigned in February 2019...the ground sale was supposedly sometime in the first seven months of 2018 so it must have been in scope as she left more than 6 months after it was (supposedly) sold.

• Thanks 1