V A R

1 hour ago, alanharper said:

When have United been shafted by VAR? They've had a couple of offside goals ruled out, yes they were incredibly tight but ultimately they were offside so the decisions were correct. You can't allow a goal because it was only a tiny bit offside, that's like using the goal line technology and saying we won't allow this goal because it was only just over the line.

They've certainly had the rub of the green with penalty (non) decisions against them in recent weeks.

I agree, but those tight decisions have been ignored for other (bigger) clubs 

2 minutes ago, trev said:

It's too difficult to decide what is clear and obvious though...thats the problem.

The only way I can see it working is if the ref is the only one who makes a decision based on using the screen by the pitch.

If he's unsure on something he asks to use the screen. Only he can make the final decision though.

But I suppose then he would just get hounded by players constantly to look at the screen after every single thing.

No matter which way they go it will not be perfect. The sheer level of criticism for a new system has been ridiculous. It should have been introduced in the 90s, it takes time to improve things. VAR is better than not having it, it will just take time to work out the kinks. In the NFL the ref goes over, but there is a clear stoppage. For me i would just let the VAR ref make the call and don't stop the game. From when he starts a review he takes 20 seconds, was that obviously wrong?? No. Ok continue. If yes then bring it back.

But you will never please everyone. A bit like accounting and running a football club. :ph34r:

23 minutes ago, alanharper said:

That potential 20cm margin, which is pretty huge when it comes to offsides, was an extreme example based on Raheem Sterling at full sprint. Pretty much every offside situation will in reality have a far, far smaller margin for error than that.  Until they can get VAR cameras with frame rates which are much more accurate they can only use the technology that they have - so yes their player who was adjudged to be a few centimetres offside may have actually been onside, but on the other hand he could have actually been a few cm more offside than he appeared.

It's the failure to award what ought to be clear cut decisions to avoid making their mates look bad which I find more annoying than the tight offside decisions, some of the blatant penalties that VAR still hasn't awarded this season have been laughable whilst soft penalty awards have been allowed to stand.

Fair comment.

For me it’s still the marginal offside rulings I find most irritating, as these usually seem to end up with goal being disallowed and (even if goal given) total loss of spontaneity.

Re blatant penalties, I’m no longer sure what represents a penalty given extent of players seeking to initiate contact before diving.  Don’t like the move towards any contact being seen as a foul.

6 hours ago, camffiti said:

Clubs like Liverpool are getting favourable VAR decisions and clubs like Sheff Utd appear to be shafted ( lol ) by VAR 

What does & doesn't get reviewed, changing definitions of rules ... VAR just looks like another tool in the refs box 

But it all evens itself out :duntmatter:

There’s clearly an agenda against the smaller clubs. The PL doesn’t want them in the league. 

On 14/11/2019 at 17:05, trev said:

It's too difficult to decide what is clear and obvious though...thats the problem.

Is it though? Surely if it's clear and obvious it's clearly and obviously wrong!

For me, VAR should be for things that are so blatantly wrong, not for timely forensic offside decisions. And don't get me started on the new handball by the attacking team nonsense they introduced this season...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Onge said:

Is it though? Surely if it's clear and obvious it's clearly and obviously wrong!

For me, VAR should be for things that are so blatantly wrong, not for timely forensic offside decisions. And don't get me started on the new handball by the attacking team nonsense they introduced this season...

For refs....yeah lol. The thing is it's all subjective. One person's clear and obvious is another's dubious decision. There is no defined boundary between and there can never be. 

But I see your point.

Id rather we just left it at goal line tech.