Planning Permission on old car park

Guest Saracen7
On 14/11/2019 at 13:21, Utah Owl said:

If we are staying at Hillsborough, then yes it is huge opportunity missed. You are looking at it based on the cost of a multi-purpose development yet factoring in income for car-parking only.

This scenario has been discussed many times before in various threads on redeveloping the ground, the idea being that the whole area could be turned into a fan zone that would provide:

• Car parking
  • Cinema, fans pub, restaurants, possible hotel to encourage fans to arrive earlier and leave later easing traffic in the area
  • A walkway/bridge area over Penistone Road to new entrances for the Kop etc to improve pedestrian access/egress to the ground and get them off Penistone Road

The only reasons I can come up with for the purchase not having happened are that either we are moving or DC does not have the long term vision necessary to make us prosper.

And what does a fan zone get used for on the other roughly 340 days of the year when there isn't a match? 

On 14/11/2019 at 06:57, Utah Owl said:

Massive opportunity missed by us.

I agree also ..

Potential to have been a nice little SWFC area ..

Couple of restaurants, eateries, pubs/bars or whatever.

A large secure multi story car park.

Could have moved the club shop there allowing us to utilise the space where its sits at present either through expansion of the stadium or through installing something else that could be incorporated in to the ground

I reckon it could have been a nice little development associated with the club

1 hour ago, Saracen7 said:

And what does a fan zone get used for on the other roughly 340 days of the year when there isn't a match? 

Cinemas, restaurants  and pubs only used 25 times a year are they?

On 14/11/2019 at 10:12, Buxtongent said:

is it such a missed opportunity? I thought this often, but think clearly.The area is to be for proposed development. Were we as a club to have purchased this site, it would have provided Car Parking. Even if this were double the number in the proposal, say 500 cars,this would have provided an income , if it was full EVERY home match, and the cost of parking was £10 (double the current price) it would bring in £110, 000, per season.Convenient for supporters to park on match days , but unused for at least 330 days per year. 

The proposal is for a £25 Million redevelopment, in other words, the recoupment of 120 years+ of fees for the initial cost.

What it does throw into light is the cost of providing car parking at entertainment venues.

At first sight, and I agree that I was one, it appears to be an ideal proposition for Wednesday, but it would need to have other business attached to it, business that would need to be unoccupied AT ITS BUSIEST time

Like many ideas, it is ideal from one point of view only, unfortunately!

I think the potential was more in the chance to develop the land ourselves. Maybe add some disabled parking but primarily build a shop/ticket office and other office buildings over there allowing us to demolish the current shop and potentially improve access issues. 

On 19/11/2019 at 20:56, VBQ24 said:

I think the potential was more in the chance to develop the land ourselves. Maybe add some disabled parking but primarily build a shop/ticket office and other office buildings over there allowing us to demolish the current shop and potentially improve access issues. 

Will it make us £25m moving the ticket office and shop there? Unlikely. So not really a viable business venture for us.

2 hours ago, Minton said:

Will it make us £25m moving the ticket office and shop there? Unlikely. So not really a viable business venture for us.

The thing is the impact on the club, during construction and when operating, increased traffic, less parking, food and drink outlets taking away potential income from the stadium outlets, possibly complaints from the development owners putting more restrictions on the club. 

If done properly this could have provided a steady income over a long period of time for the club and allow us to develop behind the north. 

As for the 25m, the chairman is minted (allegedly), so not a problem, no impact on p&s. 

To put the 25m into perspective, Rhodes, abdi, Jones and van akin have probably cost near to that, did we get a good return on that investment? 

Again how is it a missed opportunity if it was sold under MM reign when we didnt have a pot to wee wee in 

its took that long for the owners to get planning permission to build what they want, was offered to Chansiri when he first took over at an inflated price to try and make a profit,

To blame the owner for not buying it regardless of cost is just DC bashing at its finest 

10 years ago there was a house for sale up Stannington for £200,000 its now up again for £750,000 I couldn't afford it then and cant afford it now, do i class that as a missed opportunity 

6 hours ago, Minton said:

The land didn't sell for 25m , not even a fraction of that . We should have bought it when we had the chance. 

2 hours ago, Minton said:

But to develop the site will cost £25m. At the least.

Perhaps so but its not £25m  out of the bank it would virtually certainly be done on some form of commercial mortgage.

I think it should have been bought and developed with partners. The Wednesday.use of it being subsidised by the sale or rental from retail units.

I am not an expert but in my opinion that land should have been worth more to Wednesday.than anybody else.

10 hours ago, Geedee said:

Perhaps so but its not £25m  out of the bank it would virtually certainly be done on some form of commercial mortgage.

I think it should have been bought and developed with partners. The Wednesday.use of it being subsidised by the sale or rental from retail units.

I am not an expert but in my opinion that land should have been worth more to Wednesday.than anybody else.

I'd sooner we stuck to being a football club, not a property business.  We have enough trouble doing that.

Just now, Sham67 said:

I'd sooner we stuck to being a football club, not a property business.  We have enough trouble doing that.

It's a fair point and I wouldn't suggest that wednesday developed property elsewhere but if we are staying at s6 it just seemed a totally logical buy.