Stupid Question???

1 hour ago, sten said:

The income generated from having rebought those assets would soon begin to repay the not inconsiderable cost of renationalisation. At the moment the owners of those companies are predominantly foreign, they take the profits and only reinvest when it suits them. Or are you a wealthy Johnny Foreigner that is profiting from this stupidity. I mean you talk like you like this country but I have serious doubts.

If labour bought them back they wouldn't make a single penny in fact it would be the opposite as the unions would take over and labour who are run by the unions would do whatever they demanded . At great expense they built the super tram , couldnt make it pay so flogged it for peanuts and the buyer has made money . I love this country but it's been turned into a laughing stock by all sides of the political spectrum . If I could vote for none of the above and make them all come together and find a healthy middle ground I would . As I've said earlier this election has to be the worst choice in decades . We aren't voting for who we want in power but to try and keep someone worse out . Worse is obviously subjective to personal taste . 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sten said:

Decent ideas but only scratches the surface of the problems with Capitalism today. When your government sell off your assets, BT, Gas, Electric, Gold, PO, those assets which bring in daily revenues to government coffers are lost. All those mentioned were sold to the highest bidder, many of whom don't live in this country and as with most investors are only interested in Shareholder profits for one reason, lining their own pockets. Re-investment for improvement and heaven forbid for environmental reasons have become anathema. This aside, the books on trickle down economics have been removed to the Mythology section of the Library. The wealth disparity between richest and poorest in this country is larger than it has ever been.

Don't disagree with your thoughts but I do believe that what is happening in the housing market has the potential to damage both the economy and social cohesion to a very significant extent.

On 12/11/2019 at 19:07, sw1867 said:

I don’t usually comment on politics in general never mind on a football forum but that is up with one of the most stupid posts I’ve seen on here.

Im not saying one way or the other if I agree with the Tory bit, but what in God’s name has it got to do with a if a person can be a Wednesdayite or not.

Ridiculous. 

politics and religion should be barred from owlstalk.

although I went on a religious political site yesterday and they were all over westwood's recent performances.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, cross owl said:

If labour bought them back they wouldn't make a single penny in fact it would be the opposite as the unions would take over and labour who are run by the unions would do whatever they demanded . At great expense they built the super tram , couldnt make it pay so flogged it for peanuts and the buyer has made money . I love this country but it's been turned into a laughing stock by all sides of the political spectrum . If I could vote for none of the above and make them all come together and find a healthy middle ground I would . As I've said earlier this election has to be the worst choice in decades . We aren't voting for who we want in power but to try and keep someone worse out . Worse is obviously subjective to personal taste . 

I don't know how old you are?' or how long you've left  to endure it for?, but grab a decent seat in the boat and hang on, it's only going one way in the river, and it's gaining speed.

2 general elections ago I thought looking at the party leaders on offer WOW! this country has the choice between 2 clowns, it's NOW FAR WORSE, the two put together couldn't be left to put your bin out.

look how 'professional' we've made barnier look, in comparison to the proper pill*cks we've sent there from our 'war cabinet'. when was the last time you opened negotiations with a body (be it house, car, holiday, or whatever) and threw insults at them all the away through?

6 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Voted for it as wanted sovereignty so that all decisions are made by our parliament... and to give us control over immigration policy. Plus think European economies have structural issues that are almost impossible to address because of the monetary union and no co-ordinated fiscal policy, and think it will be easier to trade with higher growth markets.

I'd still vote the same way if we had another referendum. But have a little less faith in our own parliament making decisions after the last 3 years, and even if we get control over immigration it doesn't sound like any of the parties will actually cut it anyway. And the trade deals appear a lot more complicated than they did back in 2016 and could take a while. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't do it, just that it probably takes 5-10 years before we start seeing any benefits from it if it goes smoothly

Sovereignty - I suspect neither you, nor I, nor 95% of us on here, could name many laws that comes from the EU rather than our Parliament. There aren’t many. They aren’t major. Successive UK governments decided these few areas were better governed across the EU rather than just by our Parliament. In my business, only the Working-Time Directive had any impact on us, and I can’t say it was anything other than a reasonable balance between the rights of my workforce and the needs of my business.

Strength of EU countries - 47% of our trade is with the countries of the EU. It is massively in our interest that these countries thrive in order to buy from our businesses and have great things to sell to us. The EU will be all the stronger if we are an active member. Whether we are a member or not, if major EU countries struggle we will struggle too. 

Higher growth markets - we already trade with these markets and will continue to do so. Germany has roughly three times the trade with these areas than we do. EU membership is not an obstacle to wider-World trade. But, speaking as an exporter to France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Cyprus, Norway, Netherlands, USA, UAE, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia I can assure you that unless we can tow the further-flung countries nearer to the UK, the EU countries will ALWAYS be absolutely vital as our major trading partner. It is SO difficult to be competitive exporting thousands and thousands of miles away.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Voted for it as wanted sovereignty so that all decisions are made by our parliament... and to give us control over immigration policy. Plus think European economies have structural issues that are almost impossible to address because of the monetary union and no co-ordinated fiscal policy, and think it will be easier to trade with higher growth markets.

I'd still vote the same way if we had another referendum. But have a little less faith in our own parliament making decisions after the last 3 years, and even if we get control over immigration it doesn't sound like any of the parties will actually cut it anyway. And the trade deals appear a lot more complicated than they did back in 2016 and could take a while. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't do it, just that it probably takes 5-10 years before we start seeing any benefits from it if it goes smoothly

The immigration argument for Brexit is flawed. We have the ability as EU members (and always have) to strengthen our immigration laws but we choose not to. Finland has stronger immigration laws than us for example and they’re considered to be a more liberal country that the UK. The only thing we can’t control is free movement of people within the EU. If we want a good trade deal with the EU then we have to continue with free movement within the EU zone - that is a condition set down by the EU. If we don’t accept free movement then we screw trade agreement with the EU and, in turn, screw ourselves. If we leave without a deal then we screw ourselves because our biggest trading partner is the EU. 

We all know, or should know, that agreements are about give and take. The EU aren’t going to just sit back and allow us to dictate our own terms; it just doesn’t work like that. 

On 14/11/2019 at 22:12, dorian gray said:

although I went on a religious political site yesterday and they were all over westwood's recent performances.

Not surprised, Jesus is a kindred spirit of Westwood. Both terrified of crosses.

• Haha 1

On 14/11/2019 at 22:12, dorian gray said:

Years ago I was best man at my brothers wedding. I wrote my speech and thought it was great (probably wasn’t).

The day before I got a book from the library on best man speech dos and donts.....no sex, no politics, no religion, no stories about stag night, no ex girlfriends. Had to rewrite the whole flippin lot overnight. 

Just now, sherlyegg said:

The Wednesday every time for me, besides, what's the point of voting for lying cheating scumbags, who won't take any fooookin notice of what you vote for anyway.

Here!Here! Wednesday all the way for me even if we drop into L2.Going to vote in a General Election in my view is fast becoming a complete waste of my time.:tango:

On 17/11/2019 at 22:58, parkfieldowl14 said:

Here!Here! Wednesday all the way for me even if we drop into L2.Going to vote in a General Election in my view is fast becoming a complete waste of my time.:tango:

But will Penistone Road be open on election day, and will voters be allowed to leave the polling stations via Leppings Lane, FFS ? I live in Ireland and travel a fair bit through Europe. Talking to working class people in many different countries most of them are just resigned to a life of drudgery and taxes. 

I suppose what we could do if we weren't under 24 hour surveillance is start a revolution and dispose of all the corrupt governments / politicians / warmongers in the world. And then shoot the buggers who led the revolution cos they were only in it for themselves in the first place.

I vote for Costello as PM, Owlerton Ghost for minister of finance, ( at least we'd get some great parties at No. 11 Downing street ), and Asteener for minister of foreign affairs. I just thank my lucky stars I don't have to bother voting for any of the clowns in the UK election.

OH !!!!  And THE WEDNESDAY every time. :image:

• Like 1

On 14/11/2019 at 17:51, Harrysgame said:

If Corbyn wants brexit, why does he want a people's vote absolute crap. We voted and voted leave it was democratic. The big question is why are politicians ignoring the democratic process. It was a straight choice remain or leave.

We all know that we were given the vote and the public decided something that Mps didn't like. So they have tried their best to ignore it and come up with idiotic reasons like the public didn't understand what they were voting for etc.

Think it was pretty clear remain or leave. Personally think we are better as part of Europe but if we can't follow and abide by a democratic referendum that said leave then what is the point of having a Parliament and MPs. What is the point of voting if they choose to ignore the result to suit their own purposes.

On 14/11/2019 at 19:33, Harrysgame said:

Why would I read the small print, there was a straight choice. Does anyone who voted read chapter and verse on constitutional or Parliamentry law.

Fact is there was a vote and so far the Mps have not carried out the will of the electorate.

Except it wasn't. Firstly, and I am sick of posting this, referenda are not legal binding. If they were, the fact that there was an illegal overspend from the Leave campaign, coupled with the use of Cambridge Analytica would end with several members of our so called political elite in the dock. The QC that made this legal judgement must be an enemy of the people, right? Why are Leavers so afraid of a second referendum when they are so convinced of the undisputable result and the 'will of the people'...all 37% of the eligible electorate. I've had an interest in politics for about 45 years and can say in all honesty that I did not know about or understand the full implications of Brexit and that's before anyone mentions the Irish border question. The devil's in the detail and that's why we need a second run at it. I don't imagine for one second that 'the people' will have bothered to look into the small print behind Johnson's brilliant, oven ready deal with the EU but from what I've seen of Johnson, it'll be flawed; he doesn't do detail either. We're a representative democracy with MPs who are elected to make decisions on our behalf; what we're seeing right now is a bunch of chancers whose primary interest in Power. They need our help, guidance and scrutiny more than ever but I don't think letting Brexit happen without proper scrutiny is a good idea.

• Like 1

I’d love a second vote on leaving the EU then we can leave with a bigger margin of the vote and show these remainders where to shove it.

Hate what this country is becoming with the will of the people being trampled by Lib Dem types who are so insignificant it’s laughable.

Next election will hopefully phook em all off for good the set o cooonts 

• Haha 1

On 15/11/2019 at 22:51, Ronio said:

Politics though, it's not that far off from the chuckle brothers.

To me, to you, to me, to you.  

There isn't a single party that I could say yes, I will vote for them.  

Politics is well and truly broken in this country.  

And this ^^^^^^^^^^^