Bannan and Lee

jrh

5 hours ago, frastheowl said:

I haven't see any evidence of that so far. 

But I'm judging him against the Kieran Lee from a couple of years ago. And at that time, for me, there wasn't a better box to box midfielder in the division.

Luongo isn't as technically adept as Lee, nor does he have the game intelligence Lee possesses. That said, Luongo perhaps gives a bit more bite, and he certainly seems to have more of an eye for goal than Lee. 

Similar players, with different strengths and traits. Not sure they could play in the same team together, but they are certainly good alternatives for each other.

I think Lee had a decent game against Swansea. I'm led to believe Luongo didn't have a pre season, but once he's fit I believe he will be one of the first names on the team sheet.

18 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

Can I put another slant on this thread.

Has Lee done enough to get an extension on his contract?

I think so, and if come March he's still remained available for selection i'd say yes absolutely extend.

I'd give him another 12 month deal, it looks to me like he's proved his fitness, and he's a good player to have around, but I think it will be a bit part for him. 

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

49 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Carlos was very fluid with his midfield and his selections.

Bannan was deployed as a wide midfielder on many occasions, with a midfield pairing of Lopez/Hutchinson-Lee. Add to that, Wallace was a regular on the opposite flank. We, at times, played with such a narrow midfield, it was almost like playing 4 central midfielders. In certain games, Carlos played with a lopsided 4-3-3, often with Forestieri out on a flank, with the opposite wide midfielder (often Wallace or Bannan) tucking in, to provide a narrow three. 

We dominated a lot of games during that period, because of our ability to control the game, with and without the ball.  It's something we haven't been able to for a number of seasons now. 

Difference to then and now...full backs. Back then, Pudil and Hunt provided the width, stretched the play and were key players. In Palmer and Fox, they don't provide the same threat. 

And that's the crux of the matter...it's never a case of X and Y can't play together. Every single player within the system has to compliment everybody else's roles. Carlos that season, was so close to perfecting a system...unfortunately, the final step he needed to take, was the one that tripped him up.

God, I miss the football we played that season. 

Spot on. A lot of people think 442 leaves you with 2 midfielders, it shouldn't, in defence it's 2 banks of 4, the widemen tuck in and defend. When you have the ball the widemen can go wide and forward to join the attack or just play as wide midfilelders depending on the system.

In reality there are a lot of ways to play 442 not just one. A lot depends on the personel. Wallace was excellent in the system we played and we've missed him immensely. I know he was showing his age towards the end, it's just a shame we couldn't find a younger version

8 hours ago, LittleG said:

I know it's all about opinions and unfortunately my opinion is still that we need more physical presence in there. As for Lee himself, like most of the players he was OK, nothing special and the two forward runs that stand out most were in the first half when he was through into their box on the right but then seemed to not know what to do with the ball. Like the rest, he worked hard but that's about all.

His pass in the six yard box for Forestieri to score must also stand out?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Lee was good Saturday and showed signs of his former self which were so valuable to us. That said, Bannan and Lee didn't work 4 years ago when they were in there prime and playing well. It wont work now.

When Sam Hutchinson doesn't play we miss him drastically. Myself I would still play Bannan out wide in a 442 think its his best position.

Can't agree more bud, I always thought it worked better with Bannan on the left. 

He dosent have the physical presance to stamp his authority on games and is too easily negated by a good side he also lacks that goalscoring capability to play in the centre and dosent get forward in and around the box enough. 

ALL his previous clubs played him out wide for a reason. 

He can get more space and time on the ball to create things without being nullified as easily as he gets swamped in the middle. He's also a very good crosser of the ball, kind of like Beckham used to be as he dosent need to beat the man, he just curls it around them. 

we have 5 central midfielders 4 of them all good enough for a regular starting role .  ..unles we switch to a diamond or Christmas tree system with bannan as quarterback and lee in the hole as the false number 10 it's difficult to see how they can all start .

34 minutes ago, torryowl said: we have 5 central midfielders 4 of them all good enough for a regular starting role .  ..unles we switch to a diamond or Christmas tree system with bannan as quarterback and lee in the hole as the false number 10 it's difficult to see how they can all start .

Correct.

Two will start in a 442, and three will start in a 433.

I know you will disagree because of your 100% belief in Hutch, but I think Luongo-Bannan-Lee is exciting.

That said, I also think Hutch-Bannan-Luongo is a really strong trio too.

Joey is really just back-up, and as back-ups go he’s not bad.

9 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

Can't agree more bud, I always thought it worked better with Bannan on the left. 

He dosent have the physical presance to stamp his authority on games and is too easily negated by a good side he also lacks that goalscoring capability to play in the centre and dosent get forward in and around the box enough. 

ALL his previous clubs played him out wide for a reason. 

He can get more space and time on the ball to create things without being nullified as easily as he gets swamped in the middle. He's also a very good crosser of the ball, kind of like Beckham used to be as he dosent need to beat the man, he just curls it around them. 

Results didn’t bear out your opinion. We were more successful with Bannan central.

It took Bruce the grand total of 45 minutes to see the team worked better with him central.

I don’t see Monk trying it, and I deeply hope he never does.

15 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Correct.

Two will start in a 442, and three will start in a 433.

I know you will disagree because of your 100% belief in Hutch, but I think Luongo-Bannan-Lee is exciting.

That said, I also think Hutch-Bannan-Luongo is a really strong trio too.

Joey is really just back-up, and as back-ups go he’s not bad.

Spot on mate . ....if hutch is fit he plays in my team  . ... ...I'd always go for 3 centre midfielders 2 wingers with one up front though 

43 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Spot on mate . ....if hutch is fit he plays in my team  . ... ...I'd always go for 3 centre midfielders 2 wingers with one up front though 

I agree.

Under Carlos I think our squad suited predominantly 442, especially when you’ve got Hooper as the perfect foil for any CF.

But now our squad suits 433 far more. I think being able to select any three from four - Bannan, Lee, Hutch and Luongo - as your midfield is frankly a great place to be for these long hard games in a long hard season, with knocks, pulls and cards. And if Joey has to feature in a handful off games it’s no big issue.

Likewise with our wingers. Any two from FF, Harris, Reach and Murphy must be the envy of 19 or 20 managers in this division.

19 hours ago, AndersonOWL said:

I agree when they attacked the midfield didn't exist. I think murphy created majority of the chances not lee and bannan

Lee actually made lots of the type of forward runs we have been lacking, hence more chances created and a more attacking performance overall. He struggled towards the end of the game I thought, but still got forward to cross the ball for Forestieri’s goal around 80 minutes. 
Think that was only the second time he’s had a full 90 minutes Championship football for two years, but he did play more like the Lee of four years ago. Under normal circumstances he would have been subbed late on but with Hutchinson and Luongo both injured he got a much needed full game. The downside was he didn’t track back as much late on leaving those gaps in midfield.

Get a fully fit Luongo in alongside Lee and Bannan in midfield and we have a very attacking lineup.
As Saturday proved though we have very little cover in central midfield. There have to be doubts about Hutchinson and Lee’s ability to stay fit and another box to box midfielder need to be the target In January 

15 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Dodgy memories guys.

It was Bannan-Lee in the middle in 442 that dragged us to the play-offs.

Whenever Carlos deviated from that after December our results were awful.

The exception was the 3-match ban for Bannan, where a Lee-Lopez pairing was tried (not Hutch) and we won all 3 games.

The “Lee-Bannan pairing is too lightweight” has always been pure OT myth. The reality is it was always our most productive duo.

It wasn't it was Hutch Lee - Bannan on the left. Lopez replaced the injured or suspended Hutch.

We did however, used to change it if we were losing or drawing in  the second half of games and put Bannan in CM alongside Lee moving Forestieri onto the left. But this very rarely started.

1 hour ago, Dutch McLovin said:

It wasn't it was Hutch Lee - Bannan on the left. Lopez replaced the injured or suspended Hutch.

We did however, used to change it if we were losing or drawing in  the second half of games and put Bannan in CM alongside Lee moving Forestieri onto the left. But this very rarely started.

Have a look here.

Look at how many times we started Bannan centrally from the successful December run onwards.

Look what happened later when Carlos moved him left for a short run.

Bristol City away was an odd one, where he played KL wide. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/barry-bannan/leistungsdaten/spieler/61561/plus/0?saison=2015

Edited by Holmowl

2 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Here’s the results from December onwards.

Bannan wide - DDLWDDDLDDDWWDL

Bannan central - WWLWDWWLDW

It was a terrible use of a top player. 

Guest Ferkorf

Kieren lee looked absolutely exhausted saturday.

Surprised we didnt take him off. I know he needs minutes but he looked like he was out on his feet.

28 minutes ago, Ferkorf said:

Surprised we didnt take him off. I know he needs minutes but he looked like he was out on his feet.

He definitely seems to tire in games. Hardly surprising.

Then he gets to the bye-line to pull back for our first goal. He is a freak. 

Guest Ferkorf
3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

He definitely seems to tire in games. Hardly surprising.

Then he gets to the bye-line to pull back for our first goal. He is a freak. 

Yes agree mate. When I was watching him saturday I was surprised he got through the full game. At least it was unscathed and fair play to him. Hopefully can move on from his injuries

4 hours ago, Ferkorf said:

He was knackered early on, the brain is still there - but the legs aren't yet. More minutes hopefully will see to that.

Thought we should have taken him off when he got booked, he was lucky not to receive a second yellow, the ref thought about it and was surrounded by the opposites....

3 hours ago, royalowlisback said:

He was knackered early on, the brain is still there - but the legs aren't yet. More minutes hopefully will see to that.

Thought we should have taken him off when he got booked, he was lucky not to receive a second yellow, the ref thought about it and was surrounded by the opposites....

Ref was very lenient. It was a second yellow no doubt.

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Ref was very lenient. It was a second yellow no doubt.

Yes the Ref was very fair , I would not have been surprised if he would have shown a red , Kieron is probably playing at 70 % but I would settle for that at the moment he is pure class