Iorfa

Guest Willow Owl

2 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

Here's a better idea,

Borner and Lees were first choice centre halves before Lees got injured. Why spend money if we can utilise what we already have. No need to try and be a comedian. 

I know why don't we leave Iorfa as a CB and use Hutchinson as a Def Mid. Either that or I'll lend you a sledge hammer so you can try to bang some square pegs into round holes.

Someone else tried to suggest he'd make a great striker. Personally I think he'd be a cracking keeper, ok I don't but it's as sensible as the other options.

Edited by prowl

17 minutes ago, debram said:

Maybe just what we are looking for,  find a second Carlton Palmer and were in business

Think this undervalues Carlton. He was much better on the ball than Iorfa, He had unbelievable energy (although Iorfa may have too). Also don’t underestimate how difficult it is to transition well from defence to midfield.  As a centre back everything is in front of you, easier to read, easier to pick a pass. In midfield you need a wider field of vision and to be able to play with your back to goal which is a different and difficult skill. 

39 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Think this undervalues Carlton. He was much better on the ball than Iorfa, He had unbelievable energy (although Iorfa may have too). Also don’t underestimate how difficult it is to transition well from defence to midfield.  As a centre back everything is in front of you, easier to read, easier to pick a pass. In midfield you need a wider field of vision and to be able to play with your back to goal which is a different and difficult skill. 

You've either got it or you aint.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

It's all about confidence imo, experience comes with age and their is no substitute for that, a good coach is worth their weight i n gold.

• Like 1

I posted the same thing a few weeks ago, mainly because of his similar pace and style to Carlton in his prime.

Since then he’s grown into the centre back role in a great way. He has all the attributes to excel there and wouldn’t want to move him now.

Our central midfield still looks lightweight though. Luongo from what we’ve seen of him looks an improvement there but we still need more pace and physicality there come January.

1 hour ago, Owlcoholic said:

I don't get this 'he's big and black' (aka strong and powerful) trope; he's just like Carlton Palmer. Iorfa and Horner at centre back every day of the week, Jeff.

Your first description is just something to be ignored as it's just based on physical appearance, your second description is interesting - strong and powerful, which is true. 

I have a third description, that is someone who protects the ball in possession well and progresses up the field - it's ungainly but it works and both Palmer and Iorfa seem to have this.  The gangly long legs that just seem to protect the ball then find some kind of pass even after seemingly running into a brick wall.

We had a couple of other defenders who did this with a bit more style - Warhurst and Bougherra but the result was the same, defense quickly turned into attack which had the added benefit that it got the crowd onside relatively easily every time.

Right now is not the time to try this - we aren't at full strength at CB, but maybe if we suffer a shortage in midfield later in the season when we are, it could be given a crack?   We tried Hector there and I really don't think that worked but I understood the concept in trying it.

Wonder if people scoffed when 

Mel Sterland moved from midfield to one of the best wingbacks of his generation.

Paul Warhurst was moved from central defender to a quality striker.

Viv Anderson moved from full back to make a quality centre back.

Ian Knight was moved from Central Midfield to become a great prospect at centre back until his horror injury ruined his flourishing career.

As the op said just putting it out there.

28 minutes ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Mel Sterland moved from midfield to one of the best wingbacks of his generation.

Ian Knight was moved from Central Midfield to become a great prospect at centre back until his horror injury ruined his flourishing career.

exceptio probat regulam

58 minutes ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Some good examples - as well as memories. Also, Terry Curran's switch from winger to central striker in 79-80.  

16 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

Just throwing it out there. I think big Dom could do a job as a box to box midfielder a la big Carlton. Has the athleticism,  covers ground really quickly and can tackle. End product would need work though. 

but why? he has been our best CB for last how many games

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Just putting it out there doesn't mean it's not stupid! I put it out there a few years back and got indecent exposure

Guest Willow Owl
13 hours ago, prowl said:

I know why don't we leave Iorfa as a CB and use Hutchinson as a Def Mid. Either that or I'll lend you a sledge hammer so you can try to bang some square pegs into round holes.

Someone else tried to suggest he'd make a great striker. Personally I think he'd be a cracking keeper, ok I don't but it's as sensible as the other options.

Iorfa was signed as a right back and Hutchinson was brought in as a defender. Kieran Lee was a winger, Palmer a midfielder Seems to have worked for these, square pegs round holes!!!

Reel your neck in FFS, its only a suggestion.