Palmer

Guest Ash76

4 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Palmer has improved but still a long way a promotion winning fullback.

Lees back in the side and Big Dom to fullback please.

Until we find a fullback beter , Palmer is our number one in that position. Hes just an allround better footballer than others in our squad. 

Watchng the pigs on tv, their fullvacks are absolute quality. 

I do think its an area we can imorove on, but the fact we havent in many years managed to improve on Palmer says alot about his ability. He may not be Enda Stevens or Kyle Walker but hes the best we have. 

Just now, Beholder said:

Until we find a fullback beter , Palmer is our number one in that position. Hes just an allround better footballer than others in our squad. 

Watchng the pigs on tv, their fullvacks are absolute quality. 

I do think its an area we can imorove on, but the fact we havent in many years managed to improve on Palmer says alot about his ability. He may not be Enda Stevens or Kyle Walker but hes the best we have. 

Possibly.

Does it not really frustrate you though that after spending hundreds of millions on wages and players over the last 3 years, we have the same weak fullback ?

Bizarre squad building.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harrysgame said:

Not does Rhodes, FF or Winnall, would have offered Hoops a 1 year deal.

Would be another 30k a week down the drain for nothing. The fact that he’s now playing in New Zealand shows you his level of fitness/commitment to football.

7 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I thought Odubajo was starting to grow into his role and look more confident. Played well against Everton in the cup. And then he was dropped.

This is his chance now. Palmer has improved and is steady, but I still don’t think he’s the answer at right back going forward. We need better. 

Before his injury Odubajo was top draw. Hope he can find that form again. 

odubajo was woeful in practically every game he played for us.

its why he’s not playing now.

i haven’t spoken to anybody who hasn’t said the same.

what were you seeing that was top drawer?

14 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

Palmer has improved but still a long way a promotion winning fullback.

Lees back in the side and Big Dom to fullback please.

disagree.

Our defensive record has been very good - iorfa has been excellent at centre half and gives us pace there which neither lees or borner have.

no point changing half the back four because Palmer made a mistake.

Guest wilyfox

One of my gripes about Palmer over the years was his tendency to switch off and lapse in concentration. Appeared to kick that habit this year. Came back to haunt him against WBA though. Got himself sent off in frustration to compound his misery. His suspension an opportunity to reflect, me thinks. Perhaps a breather will do him good.

A chance for Mo to stake a claim. He was bedding in after Monk arrived. Then Fox was recalled against Cardiff for extra height, and he's cut a frustrated figure on the bench since. Good luck to him against Brum. 

On 24/11/2019 at 17:39, Mr Farrell said:

Possibly.

Does it not really frustrate you though that after spending hundreds of millions on wages and players over the last 3 years, we have the same weak fullback ?

Bizarre squad building.

"Hundreds of millions"   wow I never realised we were that rich.       WTF:

22 minutes ago, Hougoumont said:

"Hundreds of millions"   wow I never realised we were that rich.       WTF:

It mounts up when wages alone are £42m a year.

21 hours ago, Hougoumont said:

What, just on the players we've recruited "over the past 3 years"    :unsure:

they didn’t say anything about players we’ve recruited over the past 3 years.

only that we’d spent hundreds of millions on wages and players over the last 3 years - which is probably right given that we spent £42m in one year alone. 

Palmer never has been and never will be championship standard. The myth about previous managers picking him is false. Jos tried a few options at full back...Baker got numerous games ahead of Palmer until he decided quite rightly that neither were good enough. Carlos first choice was always quite rightly Hunt. As we all know before that we didn't have a pot to wee wee in so thats why Palmer got a few games under his belt but never improved.

8 minutes ago, megsonstheman said:

Palmer never has been and never will be championship standard. The myth about previous managers picking him is false. Jos tried a few options at full back...Baker got numerous games ahead of Palmer until he decided quite rightly that neither were good enough. Carlos first choice was always quite rightly Hunt. As we all know before that we didn't have a pot to wee wee in so thats why Palmer got a few games under his belt but never improved.

Opinions, opinions. My take is that, he is decent at this level, and perhaps the best of all our full backs. He is also part of our strongest unit, which although there have been too many individual mistakes of late, is still our strongest suit It’s up front where we are weak, concentrate on that

Edited by gurujuan

1. We've spent millions yet we have constantly been weak at full back and lack quality in depth. Poor squad building on many managers/club.

2. Palmer has never been good enough. He's improved but his Swansea and West Brom errors cost us 3 points directly.

I'd like to see Odubajo given a run at right back now. He's weaker defensively than Palmer* but he's got more pace, is more comfortable on the ball and is more likely to set up goals when he joins the attacks.

Plus modern fullbacks are much more about attacking attributes now. The best clubs in the land have fullbacks like Trent, Walker, Zinchenko, Cancelo who are all have a mistake or two in them but they make up for it by being good on the ball (well, outstanding in Trent's case)

So we might have to get used to Odubajo losing his man occasionally and giving away the odd free kick for grappling for at least he offers us much more of an attacking outlet and if we have the ball and are using it well there will be less defending to do in the match full stop.

*I think Palmer's defensive decision making drops when he gets tired, so while normally a good defender he tends to make mistakes at the end of games when he's knackered