Palmer

Guest Ash76

6 hours ago, ka58 said:

he’s played 300 games - which shows he’s a proper player - that doesn’t happen If you aren’t any good.

Of course. I'm not saying that he's not a good player. He's developed into a competent Championship right-back.

I'm just pointing out that those who refer to him as naive or 'needing to learn' seem to overlook the fact that he's one of our experienced players now rather than an up-and-coming youngster, and the weaknesses in his game probably aren't going to suddenly disappear at this stage of his career.

Tell you what I did notice yesterday, that when Palmer went forward, Murphy dropped back into his position until he got back. Happened a few times. Never seen that before and I think normally Hutch would do that job. Monk has obviously drilled them well with things like that. Just needs to drill them in how to defend a lead for more than 2 minutes now. 

On 09/11/2019 at 21:02, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

As most of you probably now, I'm not Palmer's biggest fan

He always puts a shift in, but it's not enough for a modern day full back

His defending has improved over the last 2 years, but he still does silly things

If I was our manager, his position would be the first to come under review, I'd want a modern day full back who can actually cross a ball

He gets into some great positions, but his crossing is woeful

Having said all that, I thought he did okay today

Agree with what Hootie is saying here, he is a competent fullback but no way can he play the wingback role which is so important in the modern game. 

With good wingbacks you really don't need wingers supplying the ammo for the forwards, this allows you to play a proper 433 with the 3 midfield players playing narrow and stopping midfield becoming overrun which is a poblem we have when we go 442 with 2 wide men supporting Fletcher.

17 hours ago, gurujuan said:

The defence are doing their job, it’s the forwards who aren’t 

Doing their jobs? Last 4 conceded in 2 games are all individual mistakes 

17 hours ago, gurujuan said:

The defence are doing their job, it’s the forwards who aren’t 

Not helped by the lack of service. Both full backs offer very little going forward and whilst both have shown some improvement, Palmer and Fox are still the weakest part of the team - and have been for years now. 

5 minutes ago, S18_Owl said:

Not helped by the lack of service. Both full backs offer very little going forward and whilst both have shown some improvement, Palmer and Fox are still the weakest part of the team - and have been for years now. 

Jeez how many excuses can we come up with, 3 out and out wingers, midfielders with the creativity of Bannan and Luongo, and we’re blaming the full backs

1 minute ago, Beholder said:

Is it just me who finds these threads infuriating?

It's as if people are waiting for us not to win so they can lump all the blame on their old scapegoat again. 

It's a football forum for people to have opinions

Are you saying you don't want people to air their views

If so, why even bother having a forum?

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.