Palmer

Guest Ash76

Had the spotlight taken off him by Westwood but why wait to be closed down before clearing your lines? The ball he tried to play down the pitch that hit their player put us under immediate pressure that we were unable to recover from before conceding the 2nd.

Generally i thought he was a little better today than in recent weeks but has looked well short since being switched back to the right.

Just before Odubajo's omission I thought he was starting to settle in. I'd be tempted to bring him back in to give Palmer a bit of a kick up the backside, especially as Palmer is going away with Scotland 

25 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

Had the spotlight taken off him by Westwood but why wait to be closed down before clearing your lines? The ball he tried to play down the pitch that hit their player put us under immediate pressure that we were unable to recover from before conceding the 2nd.

Generally i thought he was a little better today than in recent weeks but has looked well short since being switched back to the right.

Just before Odubajo's omission I thought he was starting to settle in. I'd be tempted to bring him back in to give Palmer a bit of a kick up the backside, especially as Palmer is going away with Scotland 

It was absolutely stupid why he waited for the player to close him down, just put ya boot through the bloody thing and launch it away! Palmer has definitely improved a lot but today along with Westwood hes cost us that win.

As most of you probably now, I'm not Palmer's biggest fan

He always puts a shift in, but it's not enough for a modern day full back

His defending has improved over the last 2 years, but he still does silly things

If I was our manager, his position would be the first to come under review, I'd want a modern day full back who can actually cross a ball

He gets into some great positions, but his crossing is woeful

Having said all that, I thought he did okay today

• Thanks 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Palmer lucky to get so many starts imo, can be shaky on ball and make errors at back, compounded by rarely offering a threat by getting a decent cross in. Decent bench player for rb/lb maybe.

Moses was unlucky to get dropped and deserves another chance imo

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Did ok today until that moment. 

Odubajo was finding his groove before he got dropped. I’d like to see him in again personally.

Odubajo makes Palmer look like Roberto Carlos!  If you think Palmer's little indiscretion was bad then you've obviously not witnessed the 10 absolute bomb scare moments that Moses brings every match.

Just not bothered...

Works hard and improved a lot last year or so; one criticism I always find myself making at games though is that he doesn't track his man properly.

Constantly drifts off his mark and needs cover far too often - we get caught on the overlap so, so often because it's so easy to peel away from him and make 5-10yds of space for a run.

If only he could nail that part of his game he'd look so much more reliable.

2 hours ago, Ash76 said:

Thought he had turned a corner but back to his old ways, shows that we need better if we want to succeed. Is this not old hat. 

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

He's 28 and has played almost 300 professional games.

If he hasn't learned by now, you might suggest he never will.

he’s played 300 games - which shows he’s a proper player - that doesn’t happen If you aren’t any good.

2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Did ok today until that moment. 

Odubajo was finding his groove before he got dropped. I’d like to see him in again personally.

59 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

Odubajo makes Palmer look like Roberto Carlos!  If you think Palmer's little indiscretion was bad then you've obviously not witnessed the 10 absolute bomb scare moments that Moses brings every match.

Disagree. Can't argue that Moses was woeful in a fair few of the early games this season but as Sally says he had started to settle in and was improving game by game. Palmer was playing consistently better on the left than he has done since moving back to the right as well. 

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

That clearance was amateurish but to try to pin some responsibility for the goal on him is harsh

Should have just banged it down the line quicker or pumped it in to row z if it was later .. instead a panicky clearance resulted in a Westwood making a tremendous save to force the corner.

If he'd have done the sensible thing, we would not have been in that position ...

FFS

He seldom offers anything going forwards, Fox's delivery is good into the box. Palmer could learn a lot from him.

He had a decent run at the end of last season when his contract was due - I'd like to see this again