Are you really surprised?

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

"Bruce will need 3 windows to sort this shower out"

Monk has has none and no pre season to prepare us in the way he wants.

We currently sit seventh.

image.png.05477a646a9b182d1503fec10ad793e0.png

We could actually be higher but for some injury time conceding in the last two.  Par for the course considering Bruce-gate and the squad being together so long. 

Are people really surprised we have dropped some points?

Is it reactionary or did something happen (that i clearly missed) between Bruce leaving and Blackburn that propelled people's expectations?

I keep hearing were not going to go up now. That we won't challenge top two.

We're we ever expecting to?

I think the frustration is coming from conceding late goals and not seeing games out. With a bit more concentration we could be in the top two. 

I didn’t expect us to be challenging, but I expect us to manage games better than we have. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I think the frustration is coming from conceding late goals and not seeing games out. With a bit more concentration we could be in the top two. 

I didn’t expect us to be challenging, but I expect us to manage games better than we have. 

That's sort of my point.

This is largely the same squad we've had for the best part of 4 years.

They've been nearly men a lot. Managing games out is part of that. 

I'm not surprised when we have lapses or crazy moments. In fact I think it's one of the reasons why realistically we didn't expect to challenge.

Frustrating of course. 

But unexpected?  No.

Edited by Lord Snooty

32 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Last two home games have been really enjoyable overall.

Agreed. 

Despite playing two of the better teams, Monk has gone at them on the front foot.

We could easily have scored 3 in each game and got 6 points. 

Far more positives than negatives in my opinion 

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

"Bruce will need 3 windows to sort this shower out"

Monk has has none and no pre season to prepare us in the way he wants.

We currently sit seventh.

image.png.05477a646a9b182d1503fec10ad793e0.png

We could actually be higher but for some injury time conceding in the last two.  Par for the course considering Bruce-gate and the squad being together so long. 

Are people really surprised we have dropped some points?

Is it reactionary or did something happen (that i clearly missed) between Bruce leaving and Blackburn that propelled people's expectations?

I keep hearing were not going to go up now. That we won't challenge top two.

We're we ever expecting to?

If you charge fans top half Premier League prices, expect them to have high expectations every game.

Monks post match interview is spot on. Let's be honest, we did a lot right in that game. 

Forget the mistakes and bad luck because they are always going to be factors. What ultimately killed us is the mental frailty of the players, time and time again we see there are too few cool heads. To win this league you have zero ability to carry players that are lightweights in terms of mental fortitude and character.  

Edited by Morepork

9 minutes ago, KivoOwl said:

If you charge fans top half Premier League prices, expect them to have high expectations every game.

I see your point.

I base my own expectations by what I see with my eyes though rather than what I pay.

Have a mid table team expect a mid table finish.

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

That's sort if my point.

This is largely the same squad we've had for the best part of 4 years.

They've been nearly men a lot. Managing games out is part of that. 

I'm not surprised when we have lapses or crazy moments. In fact I think it's one of the reasons why realistically we didn't expect to challenge.

Possibly!

Initially, I thought we would be upper mid table this season, however from what I’ve seen of this league and our performances since Monk has come in, I am upgrading my expectations to a lower playoff position.

Yes, we currently have a similar nucleus of players from over the last 4 years and they have failed on a number of occasions, however the last 2 seasons we have failed due to mismanagement at team level and a chronic injury crisis. 

The league is average this season and if we had that little bit of composure and good game management, we could have been top 2 now. It’s very frustrating but we should have reasons to be optimistic. A striker with good movement and pace in January is a must.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Morepork said:

Monks post match interview is spot on. Let's be honest, we did a lot right in that game. 

Forget the mistakes and bad luck because they are always going to be factors. What ultimately killed us is the mental frailty of the players, time and time again we see there are too few cool heads. To win this league you have zero ability to carry players that are lightweights in terms of mental fortitude and character.  

He came across really well in that interview, clearly doesn’t lose his head in emotional situations. Hopefully this will soon be visible in his team

5 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Possibly!

....... A striker with good movement and pace in January is a must.

I suspect Monk has already highlighted to the recruitment team areas which he would be looking to move people on and bring people in. 

Perhaps even names. 

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

I suspect Monk has already highlighted to the recruitment team areas which he would be looking to move people on and bring people in. 

Perhaps even names. 

I think there was a piece in the star this week confirming that a meeting has taken place with the recruitment team. 

Personally, I think he would like to bring in a couple of strikers with different attributes should he be able to move Winnall and Rhodes on. 

8 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I think there was a piece in the star this week confirming that a meeting has taken place with the recruitment team. 

Personally, I think he would like to bring in a couple of strikers with different attributes should he be able to move Winnall and Rhodes on. 

I think the issue with those two might be finding takers.

Shame Winnall got injures at Derby as I'm pretty sure we'd have been able to move him, probably with a small margin of profit.

Rhodes... well, it's played out a bit like a tragedy really. 

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

I think the issue with those two might be finding takers.

Shame Winnall got injures at Derby as I'm pretty sure we'd have been able to move him, probably with a small margin of profit.

Rhodes... well, it's played out a bit like a tragedy really. 

Thats true. I understand that Norwich offered to take Rhodes off us without a fee being involved in August. If that’s on the table in January, I’d be tempted to take that offer and use those £35k PW wages to bring in a couple of loans. 

I think we could get a few of around £750k for Winnall. Shame as we could have got £3m prior to his second knee operation. 

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

Cracking game today between 2 good teams ..... I'd expect both clubs to be in contention for the play offs .

I thought they were there for the taking

If we had taken half our chances we would have been 2-0 up before we needlessly gave away the corner they scored from

If we both make the play offs, I'd fancy our chances

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

We’re making rubbish sides look like ‘champions league’ contenders

January is taking too long to come 

Our season depends on us getting better players in or we’re phooked 

Sick of us being predictably weak both mentally and physically 

3 hours ago, S1Owl said:

Monks right in his interview, it was just bad luck we  didn't get at least 2 in first half. Hitting posts n goal line scrambles, are luck not how team is set up.. I praise Monk for team set up just need to be more clinical 

Hit the post 4 times in.the last 2 games. Last game they score from.a wicked deflection then we do dame a shot goes just wide. Luck has to change ?