Playoff credentials.

8 hours ago, ka58 said:

No chance mate. Haven’t had one win against a side that’s up there. 

we’re beating the dross - drawing or losing against the rest.

comfortably mid table.

need a decent turnover of players in the summer and we might have a chance next year.

Mummy's little ray of sunshine or what.

At the root of it we have a side that is creating good chances against the 'better' sides and as others have said defensively 4th best in the league.

We were unlucky not to be out of sight before they equailised yesterday. The woodwork was their man of the match.

I'd agree with you if we were not creating chances, but we are, and just need a bit of luck in front of goal and to learn how to see games out when holding a slender lead.

1 hour ago, Rhubarb n Custard said:

Mummy's little ray of sunshine or what.

At the root of it we have a side that is creating good chances against the 'better' sides and as others have said defensively 4th best in the league.

We were unlucky not to be out of sight before they equailised yesterday. The woodwork was their man of the match.

I'd agree with you if we were not creating chances, but we are, and just need a bit of luck in front of goal and to learn how to see games out when holding a slender lead.

There’ll be 10 other teams who will finish mid table saying the same things.

Didn’t get to the game yesterday and just watched the (I guess bias) highlights. From the look of that we should have scored 4-5 goals, yet again. It’s the creativity but also lack of composure which are our biggest problems. Not the keeping or defensive errors. Desperately need a more clinical striker in January 

2 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Didn’t get to the game yesterday and just watched the (I guess bias) highlights. From the look of that we should have scored 4-5 goals, yet again. It’s the creativity but also lack of composure which are our biggest problems. Not the keeping or defensive errors. Desperately need a more clinical striker in January 

Oliver giroude is available, never afford him though. 

10 hours ago, ka58 said:

comfortably mid table.

need a decent turnover of players in the summer and we might have a chance next year.

We need 3 key additions in the January window and the play offs are a realistic outcome.

The fact that we are relying on Nuhiu and Rhodes tells us all we need to know.

Despite their best efforts, they won’t get the goals needed. 

13 hours ago, ka58 said:

comfortably mid table.

That’s how it’s looking to me at this stage aswell.

The 7 games before Christmas aren’t easy.... West Brom (a), Birmingham (h), Charlton (a), Brentford (h), Derby (a), Forest (a), Bristol City (h).

If we can win 3 or 4 of those games and we’re still in the play off mix at Christmas I’d say we’ve a decent chance.

Edited by nilsson

On 09/11/2019 at 18:11, Rhubarb n Custard said:

I don't know about anyone else but I think our league position is about right and I'm still quietly confident about our playoff prospects this season despite recent travails.

Here's why....

1. We are currently 1 point outside the playoffs despite hurling 5 points out of the window in the space of a week and could have easily won all 3 against auto chasing Leeds - those 8 points would have us in 2nd and it would have been no fluke.

2. No one is ripping it up this year, everyone's beating everyone ( apart from Dingles that is )

3. Games are tight, we're not getting a hammering off anyone.. shows we are reasonably defensively competent although there's still room for improvement at both ends on the pitch.

4. Monk (imho) is taking a conservative strategic approach to games until we get to the business end of the season. The idea being to keep us in the mix until new year then take the shackles off for a push once he's had chance strengthen the team.

5. Monk is a good, organised manager and I personally like the cut of his jib. A stabilising character who over time has the ability build a promotion winning side.

6. We haven't hit anything close to top form, yet we are still there or thereabouts.

7. Gary hasn't had the team that long and already we're tough to beat, I believe his next step will be to make us tough to get a point from.

Yes we'll have setbacks ( as we have recently) all teams do, what matters is how we respond.

We aren't a million miles off, we really aren't.

Agreed 100/% we're just two or three quality players short of being a very good top 6 side,Just need to cut out the silly mistakes and lapses in concentration from the back four.

:tango:

On 09/11/2019 at 18:25, Birley Owl 1867 said:

I think we'll be up there.

We dominated a side who are apparently one of the top ones in this league. They showed nothing all game.

Cut out the mistakes and we'll be top 6. Continue and we'll end up 10th.

dominated ? when they were 1 up they missed 2 sitters,too be honest imo,they deserved a draw at least...

35 minutes ago, Brando17 said:

dominated ? when they were 1 up they missed 2 sitters,too be honest imo,they deserved a draw at least...

Perhaps Briely meant we held our own.

The important thing is that we are not being outclassed by so called favourites in the division.

We were also missing Hutch, Borner and Luongo, all significant absentees in relation to the strength of the team we we able to put out.

Guest wilyfox
On 9 November 2019 at 18:18, Mr Farrell said:

Not credible at all. When it really matters we fold.

Needs addressing urgently.

This ^^

We often falter in key moments. We'll do no more than flirt with the playoffs unless that changes. We haven't put a winning run together in a long time. That is what's needed to put us top 6 and establish ourselves. 

On 09/11/2019 at 18:32, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Think the average division will help us massively.

Swansea are meant to be a good side and they were flipping awful. 

We just need to stop conceding stupidly and we'll be right up there.

No trwm in this division scares me or should overwhelm us. Except maybe our next opponents. Everyone else are beatable, and probably losable too.

I thought Swansea played a big part in a very good game ….certainly didn't look awful to me .