Playoff credentials.

I don't know about anyone else but I think our league position is about right and I'm still quietly confident about our playoff prospects this season despite recent travails.

Here's why....

1. We are currently 1 point outside the playoffs despite hurling 5 points out of the window in the space of a week and could have easily won all 3 against auto chasing Leeds - those 8 points would have us in 2nd and it would have been no fluke.

2. No one is ripping it up this year, everyone's beating everyone ( apart from Dingles that is )

3. Games are tight, we're not getting a hammering off anyone.. shows we are reasonably defensively competent although there's still room for improvement at both ends on the pitch.

4. Monk (imho) is taking a conservative strategic approach to games until we get to the business end of the season. The idea being to keep us in the mix until new year then take the shackles off for a push once he's had chance strengthen the team.

5. Monk is a good, organised manager and I personally like the cut of his jib. A stabilising character who over time has the ability build a promotion winning side.

6. We haven't hit anything close to top form, yet we are still there or thereabouts.

7. Gary hasn't had the team that long and already we're tough to beat, I believe his next step will be to make us tough to get a point from.

Yes we'll have setbacks ( as we have recently) all teams do, what matters is how we respond.

We aren't a million miles off, we really aren't.

• Like 4

I think on current form we will be there or there abouts,  somewhere 5th to 8th.

I've got my fingers crossed that we pick up a couple of decent players in January and that we will have a strong finish like we often seem to.

Still all to play for but I wish we could see games out.

I’ve become less confident after recent matches than I was when Monk started out

We’re currently getting midtable results so if that continues there’s one place we will end up.  If we would have more luck with injuries and be able to make some signings in January then we can become playoff challengers, hopefully not too cut a drift by then 

Edited by Owls-Fan

1 minute ago, Owls-Fan said:

I’ve become less confident after recent matches than I was when Monk started out

We’re currently getting midtable results so if that continues there’s one place we will end up.  If we would have more luck with injuries and be able to make some signings in January then we can become playoff challengers, hopefully not too cut a drift by then 

I'm more confident after recent matches. Can see a massive improvement in this team. Think back to 12 months ago under Jos. We will cut the errors out over this international break.

1 minute ago, S36 OWL said:

Average division this season is flattering us slightly i feel. We dont score enough goals to be a top two challenger ,and we concede too many stupid goals. 

Think the average division will help us massively.

Swansea are meant to be a good side and they were flipping awful. 

We just need to stop conceding stupidly and we'll be right up there.

No trwm in this division scares me or should overwhelm us. Except maybe our next opponents. Everyone else are beatable, and probably losable too.

11 minutes ago, WAWAWUTO17 said:

I'm more confident after recent matches. Can see a massive improvement in this team. Think back to 12 months ago under Jos. We will cut the errors out over this international break.

disagree I think we looked more likely under Bruce and monk’s first matches than we have lately. Our failure to see out games has to stop or we will be where we deserve to be which is outside the playoffs 

So far this season I’ve seen nothing to suggest we are good enough to finish top 2 or alternatively to win 2/3 high pressure play-off games, so I would say our credentials are pretty poor.

It’s a wide open league (don’t we end up saying that most seasons?) so it’s possible we could sneak into 6th place but that would be as good as it gets.  Current direction of travel suggests top 10 is more realistic.

Not bothered really

Fantastic division with some proper teams in it. Anyone can beat anyone - no idea if we are going to win lose or draw before any game.

Can celebrate goals as soon as they go in without having to wait five minutes for a VAR review and a far more enjoyable division.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Charlie Chuck said:

Not bothered really

Fantastic division with some proper teams in it. Anyone can beat anyone - no idea if we are going to win lose or draw before any game.

Can celebrate goals as soon as they go in without having to wait five minutes for a VAR review and a far more enjoyable division.

Agree on the VAR but wouldn’t call it a fantastic division just because each team could beat the other...that’s only because all the teams are equally mediocre and/or inconsistent!

7 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Living in cloud cuckoo land Monk first instinct is to defend, soon as we scored we should have attacked yet again. We folded defending the lead. 

Cowardly tactics fight man fight!!! 

I don’t see that monk told the team to give away a stupid corner or told Westwood to put in one of the worst performances seen in a Wednesday shirt in many years . 

we don’t have and goal scorers so are always going to deploy a defensive approach 

4 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Average division this season is flattering us slightly i feel. We dont score enough goals to be a top two challenger ,and we concede too many stupid goals. 

Last two games disappointing for sure but let’s keep things in perspective. We have the 4th best defensive record, conceding only 14 goals.  I supposed 1 stupid goal is one too many but we really haven’t been that bad defensively overall

4 hours ago, Rhubarb n Custard said:

I don't know about anyone else but I think our league position is about right and I'm still quietly confident about our playoff prospects this season despite recent travails.

Here's why....

1. We are currently 1 point outside the playoffs despite hurling 5 points out of the window in the space of a week and could have easily won all 3 against auto chasing Leeds - those 8 points would have us in 2nd and it would have been no fluke.

2. No one is ripping it up this year, everyone's beating everyone ( apart from Dingles that is )

3. Games are tight, we're not getting a hammering off anyone.. shows we are reasonably defensively competent although there's still room for improvement at both ends on the pitch.

4. Monk (imho) is taking a conservative strategic approach to games until we get to the business end of the season. The idea being to keep us in the mix until new year then take the shackles off for a push once he's had chance strengthen the team.

5. Monk is a good, organised manager and I personally like the cut of his jib. A stabilising character who over time has the ability build a promotion winning side.

6. We haven't hit anything close to top form, yet we are still there or thereabouts.

7. Gary hasn't had the team that long and already we're tough to beat, I believe his next step will be to make us tough to get a point from.

Yes we'll have setbacks ( as we have recently) all teams do, what matters is how we respond.

We aren't a million miles off, we really aren't.

No chance mate. Haven’t had one win against a side that’s up there. 

we’re beating the dross - drawing or losing against the rest.

comfortably mid table.

need a decent turnover of players in the summer and we might have a chance next year.