Jump to content
TINKERBELL

Striker in January

Recommended Posts

We play one up front so how would Gayle suit us?

 

If we wanted someone slight and nippy we would be playing FF or Winnall and we have plenty of pace wide to get in behind. 
 

We need someone who is either a younger and quicker version of nuhiu/Fletcher or more of a joao type. Ivan Toney and Kienan Davis would be obvious targets along with Cosgrove at Aberdeen. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

We play one up front so how would Gayle suit us?

 

If we wanted someone slight and nippy we would be playing FF or Winnall and we have plenty of pace wide to get in behind. 
 

We need someone who is either a younger and quicker version of nuhiu/Fletcher or more of a joao type. Ivan Toney and Kienan Davis would be obvious targets along with Cosgrove at Aberdeen. 
 

 

Logically yes. I’m not sure though whether people still have the idea of a big man, little man, combination, flanked by two wingers. Of course that could happen, though I hope not, but would require also, two new midfielders

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think gayles wage prohibits that move for us. We are so hamstrung ffp wise. If we are go for i can only see it being a young and upcoming one. 

 

Unless we shift a few. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

We play one up front so how would Gayle suit us?

 

If we wanted someone slight and nippy we would be playing FF or Winnall and we have plenty of pace wide to get in behind. 
 

We need someone who is either a younger and quicker version of nuhiu/Fletcher or more of a joao type. Ivan Toney and Kienan Davis would be obvious targets along with Cosgrove at Aberdeen. 
 

 

 

We don't always play one up front do we? Leeds, Boro and Swansea (off the top of my head) we played Adthe and Fletch and played well every time 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

I think gayles wage prohibits that move for us. We are so hamstrung ffp wise. If we are go for i can only see it being a young and upcoming one. 

 

Unless we shift a few. 

I think it will be a case of 2 or 3 young loanees

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dfoster said:

 

We don't always play one up front do we? Leeds, Boro and Swansea (off the top of my head) we played Adthe and Fletch and played well every time 

Don’t you think that was more to do with Monk wanting to introduce Nuhiu’s awkwardness? If we wanted to really play 4-4-2, surely there are more orthodox options For me it’s 4-3-3, but I’m happy for the manager to occasionally play another system, if he feels it will produce a result 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem is that our midfield is not scoring enough and the shots they do take 90% of the time are rubbish especially Bannan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the Carlos years we used to pass the ball around on the edge of the box trying the thread it through the eye of a needle. Now we are hoofing it up front or putting crosses in. Many of the players we have in our squad have been under a number of managers with different tactics in recent years, and I think they'll need time to settle to Monk's style. As much as I was a Carlos fan, I am glad to see the back of one dimensional  possession football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sabostar said:

In the Carlos years we used to pass the ball around on the edge of the box trying the thread it through the eye of a needle. Now we are hoofing it up front or putting crosses in. Many of the players we have in our squad have been under a number of managers with different tactics in recent years, and I think they'll need time to settle to Monk's style. As much as I was a Carlos fan, I am glad to see the back of one dimensional  possession football.

As opposed to hoofing it up front?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mcmigo said:

Now lees is fit, and we have hutch as well as cover at centre back, I would have a few sessions with big iorfa up front in training. He is very, very quick and would be a nightmare to play against if he was up front.

Please stop it. He's a defender and quite good at it. Today I've read that we should try him as a Carlton Palmer midfielder now it's a striker.

 

When you all realise his best position is between the sticks. Never get past him with those big long legs.lol

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, S72 Owl said:

Sell Winnall and Rhodes and bring in a young pacey player. No idea who but someone that loves running the channels and in behind the defence. This type of player would totally transform us as a team. 

If you know a young pacy striker we can get  that loves running the channels and in behind the defence for ten bob and a Snickers bar. I'm all for it. That's all we are likely to get for Winnall and Rhodes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

As opposed to hoofing it up front?


Yes. 
 

One dimensional non-possession football is far more appealing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

As opposed to hoofing it up front?

We play to our strikers strengths for once, balls to his head and hold up play. That's no bad thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strikers aren’t our Main problem - need a central midfielder who scores goals - luongo has showed promise.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

We play to our strikers strengths for once, balls to his head and hold up play. That's no bad thing.

How many goals have we scored this way? It’s alright to have as an option, but we’ll get nowhere playing this way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, gurujuan said:

How many goals have we scored this way? It’s alright to have as an option, but we’ll get nowhere playing this way


Obviously if you don’t play long ball you have to pass it from the back.

Personally don’t think our full backs or midfield are good enough to do that.

So if you stuck a small, fast striker up front we would still end up playing a lot of long ball, just wouldn’t win as many.

We need to change more than the striker to turn ourselves into a real passing team.

Of course a tall, quick striker who can do both, win headers and run behind would be nice , but they are rarer than hen’s teeth

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, mcmigo said:

Now lees is fit, and we have hutch as well as cover at centre back, I would have a few sessions with big iorfa up front in training. He is very, very quick and would be a nightmare to play against if he was up front.

A few sessions? Is that how many it took the likes of Hirst to be prolific, 'a few sessions'???

 

Some of the comments on here! Mind Boggling!

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our main problem has been creativity but actually it’s lack of composure too, how many chances did we have on Saturday and only scored twice.  
A clinical striker with a little pace is needed, Rhodes from 2012 would be good.  But more likely to be a player on loan like Brewster or Gayle or a swoop for a lower league player like Lubala or Toney 

Edited by Owls-Fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting that many seem to think a new striker allows us to play 442 more often.

 

Have you looked at the comparison between us playing 442 and 443 this season? Our 442 results have been awful.

 

I’d rather we succeed on grass rather than look attacking on paper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Interesting that many seem to think a new striker allows us to play 442 more often.

 

Have you looked at the comparison between us playing 442 and 443 this season? Our 442 results have been awful.

 

I’d rather we succeed on grass rather than look attacking on paper.

Plus, out of all the teams in the top tiers, who plays it? Burnley I suppose, but that’s about it. Brighton had some success at this level, but quickly changed it when they got promoted 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...