Problem we’ve got is that the strikers here are on big money, and we won’t be able to get them off the books until their contracts run down. As a result, we won’t be signing any strikers. This is the reason Hooper went. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yes like Gayle, but with more guile

Dwight Guile ? 

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I’m rather hoping we get away from that type of player

Monk has almost always played with a big lad up front. Look at all his previous clubs. Gomis at swansea, wood at leeds, ashley fletcher at boro, jutkewicz at brum

4 minutes ago, S26 Owl said:

Monk has almost always played with a big lad up front. Look at all his previous clubs. Gomis at swansea, wood at leeds, ashley fletcher at boro, jutkewicz at brum

I’m ok with big, if they’re mobile and technically good

• Agree 2

Maybe we should ask the likes of Peterborough for a few tips on how to pick up decent strikers from lower leagues for modest outlay.

Failing that we keep our fingers crossed and hope to get lucky with a decent loan or two.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I’m rather hoping we get away from that type of player

Agreed - I reckon most centre halves in this league would happily battle against Fletcher and Nuhiu rather than try to handle mobile strikers with more pace.

How about a modern day Bannister and Varadi combination? :biggrin:

Get warhurst back he frightened defenders to death.:biggrin:

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

So a 20 million player 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Interesting how 'desperate' we are for a striker now, wasn't too long ago we had Fletcher, Hooper, FF, Joao, Nuhiu, Winnall and Rhodes...and scoring goals was STILL a problem.

It's our style of play, or lack of that's the problem. We don't create enough good goal scoring chances and the ones we do create are almost all for Fletcher (never scoring more than 15 a season). I feel we do have more goals in the team, the likes of Reach, Harris, FF, Luongo and Murphy...it's just how we do get the best out of those players in this system? We're way to dependant on direct balls to Fletcher or a bit of magic from Harris.

I think we'll get better when Luongo comes back, he's been very impressive so far. Perhaps we need a more dynamic midfield 3, maybe Luongo/Bannan/Reach with Harris/Fletcher/FF up top?

To be fair today we created enough today to score 6. Fletcher header straight at the keeper, Fletcher hit post, Murphy beginning of 2nd half should have scored, Murphy also hit post and then we scored two. 

It's our lack of finishing teams off which is killing us.

A team which is going up would have finished off Cardiff, Blackburn and Swansea. We panic if we are one goal up.

• Agree 3

Realistically we can't afford Gayle, but a pacey striker of some description. Lets face it they won't be the finished product, but much better to have some Nkietah-type (again, unlikely to be as good), to come off the bench instead of Rhodes.

43 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

31 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Dwight Guile ? 

shirt-1555620964-d4dd533dd8e3ce2ff5a2ab2b9dfe554e.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Not a prayer of getting Dwight Gayle. 

I don't think we have either, but that type of player would be good who scores.

• Like 1

So basically we are after a striker that every other club in the league is after, not going to happen.

51 minutes ago, vulva said:

Problem we’ve got is that the strikers here are on big money, and we won’t be able to get them off the books until their contracts run down. As a result, we won’t be signing any strikers. This is the reason Hooper went. 

Hooper went because the wages didnt justify his playing time he was here...

Thought Winnall would have stepped up but no...

Guttered Rhodes aint done it....

And Fletch will never be a 20 goal man...

Nuhihuiu is just a Dave.. 

UTO FTFB

2 minutes ago, DIPPS_S.W.F.C said:

Wickham....

Kodija at villa 

Vydra at Burnley 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DIPPS_S.W.F.C said:

Hooper went because the wages didnt justify his playing time he was here...

Thought Winnall would have stepped up but no...

Guttered Rhodes aint done it....

And Fletch will never be a 20 goal man...

Nuhihuiu is just a Dave.. 

UTO FTFB

Hooper went because we couldn’t offload Rhodes and Winnall. Had those 2 gone, Hooper, would still be here. 

A striker is needed yes, but we need a midfielder who plays through the middle. Luongo might be that guy, if he can sustain his fitness 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Interesting how 'desperate' we are for a striker now, wasn't too long ago we had Fletcher, Hooper, FF, Joao, Nuhiu, Winnall and Rhodes...and scoring goals was STILL a problem.

It's our style of play, or lack of that's the problem. We don't create enough good goal scoring chances and the ones we do create are almost all for Fletcher (never scoring more than 15 a season). I feel we do have more goals in the team, the likes of Reach, Harris, FF, Luongo and Murphy...it's just how we do get the best out of those players in this system? We're way to dependant on direct balls to Fletcher or a bit of magic from Harris.

I think we'll get better when Luongo comes back, he's been very impressive so far. Perhaps we need a more dynamic midfield 3, maybe Luongo/Bannan/Reach with Harris/Fletcher/FF up top?

Disgaree. We are creating chances, we just lack the ability to be clinical in front of goal. We should have been 2-0 up at half time. 

• Agree 1