TINKERBELL

Striker in January

TINKERBELL

I think monk will be looking for 1 to come in but question is who.

Do we go for a loan from a premier league club, or buy someone from this league who is proven 

Difficult decision ahead for monk 

trev

Someone from this league who is proven would cost north of 10 million.

As we are skint.

I'd say that means loan.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

TINKERBELL
Just now, trev said:

As we are skint.

I'd say that means loan.

Be nice if we can offload Rhodes and winnall as it looks like their time is finished at Wednesday, be a big saving on wages too.

• Agree 1

ZicoSterland2

Crying out for a pacey finisher. We really arent that far off in a wide open league.

• Agree 8

I think we need 2 strikers. We need to add more dimensions to our attack. 

• Agree 3

GMOwl72

Long time till January! Players need to start earning their keep or its gone again for another year.

Edited by GMOwl72
  • Agree 2

Ian

What makes you think we need a new striker.....if we can keep Nuhiu fit then that’s 3 goals a season in the bag.....and that shouldn’t be difficult given that if you don’t run you’re not likely to get injured 

• Agree 5
  • Disagree 4
  • Haha 8
  • Sad 2

gurujuan
Just now, Ian said:

What makes you think we need a new striker.....if we can keep Nuhiu fit then that’s 3 goals a season in the bag.....and that shouldn’t be difficult given that if you don’t run you’re not likely to get injured 

Yes, along with Fletcher’s 10, that should be more than enough

• Agree 1

Lionel Fessi

Interesting how 'desperate' we are for a striker now, wasn't too long ago we had Fletcher, Hooper, FF, Joao, Nuhiu, Winnall and Rhodes...and scoring goals was STILL a problem.

It's our style of play, or lack of that's the problem. We don't create enough good goal scoring chances and the ones we do create are almost all for Fletcher (never scoring more than 15 a season). I feel we do have more goals in the team, the likes of Reach, Harris, FF, Luongo and Murphy...it's just how we do get the best out of those players in this system? We're way to dependant on direct balls to Fletcher or a bit of magic from Harris.

I think we'll get better when Luongo comes back, he's been very impressive so far. Perhaps we need a more dynamic midfield 3, maybe Luongo/Bannan/Reach with Harris/Fletcher/FF up top?

• Agree 8

poite
5 minutes ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Interesting how 'desperate' we are for a striker now, wasn't too long ago we had Fletcher, Hooper, FF, Joao, Nuhiu, Winnall and Rhodes...and scoring goals was STILL a problem.

It's our style of play, or lack of that's the problem. We don't create enough good goal scoring chances and the ones we do create are almost all for Fletcher (never scoring more than 15 a season). I feel we do have more goals in the team, the likes of Reach, Harris, FF, Luongo and Murphy...it's just how we do get the best out of those players in this system? We're way to dependant on direct balls to Fletcher or a bit of magic from Harris.

I think we'll get better when Luongo comes back, he's been very impressive so far. Perhaps we need a more dynamic midfield 3, maybe Luongo/Bannan/Reach with Harris/Fletcher/FF up top?

This.

When every striker you bring to the club turns to poo overnight you have to start looking at the root cause of the issue.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

TINKERBELL
4 minutes ago, poite said:

This.

When every striker you bring to the club turns to poo overnight you have to start looking at the root cause of the issue.

Our strikers can learn a lot when James Beattie comes in.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

gurujuan
22 minutes ago, Lionel Fessi said:

How many of those strikers do you see making those darting little runs into the box, so Bannan and the midfielders have something to aim. We are obsessed with Fletcher’s battling qualities, and consequently aiming high balls into the box.  I’ve long said our attacking is too basic and one dimensional. Let’s hope we keep that sort of thing for using as an option from the bench, and bring some strikers with pace and guile

• Agree 5

S36 OWL
38 minutes ago, trev said:

As we are skint.

I'd say that means loan.

Dwight Gayle would be perfect , not playing for the Barcodes, but probably out of our wage range.

• Agree 3

TINKERBELL
1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

How many of those strikers do you see making those darting little runs into the box, so Bannan and the midfielders have something to aim. We are obsessed with Fletcher’s battling qualities, and consequently aiming high balls into the box.  I’ve long said our attacking is too basic and one dimensional. Let’s hope we keep that sort of thing for using as an option from the bench, and bring some strikers with pace and guile

A dwight Gayle type striker 

• Agree 1

prowl
17 minutes ago, TINKERBELL said:

Our strikers can learn a lot when James Beattie comes in.

He seems to be taking his time. I thought he was on his way a couple of weeks ago.

trev
1 minute ago, S36 OWL said:

Dwight Gayle would be perfect , not playing for the Barcodes, but probably out of our wage range.

Yep he would. Bruce owes us a favour...the swine.

gurujuan
2 minutes ago, TINKERBELL said:

A dwight Gayle type striker 

Yes like Gayle, but with more guile

Lionel Fessi
Just now, gurujuan said:

We've had strikers with 'pace' and 'guile' though? Never happened for Joao, not many strikers get into better positions that Hooper did and we've got a real direct option on the counter with pace in Harris...and things never seemed to come together?

Also, Fessi is EXCELLENT at finding space and making runs in and around the box almost the total opposite of Fletcher who needs the ball to his feet or in the air all the time. This is the problem, we're a team built around a lone target man striker.

I honestly don't think spending more money and bringing in another striker will fix the problem. (not that we have the ££ required to do that anyway). We need to start playing good attacking football and exploring other ways to create genuine goal scoring chances that aren't so predictable and one dimensional.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

S26 Owl

Jordan Hugill would be a perfect replacement for fletch when he finishes

• Agree 1

gurujuan
2 minutes ago, S26 Owl said:

Jordan Hugill would be a perfect replacement for fletch when he finishes

I’m rather hoping we get away from that type of player

• Agree 5