We have 13 or 14 first teamers that could win us promotion but a squad that can’t

17 hours ago, Costello 77 said:

You've got to be aggressive when you're closing a game out.. it's a mindset thing and our lot haven't got it.. Monk will have to change this attitude quickly or the season will be gone..

Major lack of spine and leadership running through this sqaud. 

Our current captain Lees, whist he's a good solid pro and a good role model for the younger players. He is not a leader on the pitch. 

Borner was captain of his last club and does seem capable of being in tirme probably a stronger leader and captain on the pitch. 

Hutch is probably the most vocal and natural captain and since he's been far more consistant, missed less games due to injury, he's also better disciplined now (can't remember last time he was sent off to be honest). Other than that bannan does shout a bit, but the lack of real leaders is very evident in this sqaud. 

19 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

Major lack of spine and leadership running through this sqaud. 

Our current captain Lees, whist he's a good solid pro and a good role model for the younger players. He is not a leader on the pitch. 

Borner was captain of his last club and does seem capable of being in tirme probably a stronger leader and captain on the pitch. 

Hutch is probably the most vocal and natural captain and since he's been far more consistant, missed less games due to injury, he's also better disciplined now (can't remember last time he was sent off to be honest). Other than that bannan does shout a bit, but the lack of real leaders is very evident in this sqaud. 

Hutch should be captain. Cant understand for the life of me why he isn't.

9 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Hutch should be captain. Cant understand for the life of me why he isn't.

Historically it's probably because of injuries. I reckon it's Tom Lees job until he moves on after that Hutch or Borner.

25 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Big Dom is our next captain. 

Depends on how long Tom Lees stays here. He's 29 this month he could be captain for another 4 years. I doubt Iorfa will be in the Championship that long.

I’m sure Borner will eventually captain the side. Think most sides, were they to lose 4 or 5 key players, would struggle. 

We may indeed make extensive changes come the summer, when so many contracts run out.  In the meantime, 2 or 3 strategic loans in January, could see us challenging come May

I think we have too many players who walk into the team based on their name instead of their performances. We have others that are fit and don't get a game.

Westwood is one of my favourite players but he has made a lot of mistake this season but he knows if he is fit he plays, the defence without Lees has been meaner than with him but a choice of a fit Borner or Lees he get the nod we concede 2 goals, Bannan has simple not scored enough goals from him and has gone missing in some games this season, but if fit plays no matter what the same with Reach not been good enough for most of the season but until Saturday un-droppable.

We all say what a waste of money Rhodes is, but game time has he got consistently in the last 18 months none what so ever, Fessi only get the last 15 minutes in a game when Nuihu get a lot more. Who over a season will score more goals playing the same time my money is not on Nuihu. But if Rhodes/Winnall/Fessi are not on the pitch they cannot be expected to score goals.

Lets start playing the players on form, not on the name on their shirts and give everyone a chance in the squad to shine if ever we need an example of what could happen when players are given a chance look at Palmer and Fox both not good enough last season, now our first choice full backs and performing week in week out.

Iorfa , borner , luongo . More players in this ilk .  Mass clear out needed , so many have become stale imo ,  bannan and reach being two. Also need to remove those no longer good enough, Westwood being the obvious one and lee who I suspect will go at the end of the year. Teams refresh all the time but we take far too long 

Edited by james o connor

That’s why I was banging on about getting some younger legs into the squad last summer. We needed to energise an ageing group Hopefully we will use the January window to do what we should have done in the summer, and bring in 2 or 3 young loanees

On 09/11/2019 at 17:32, shandypants said:

Generally, 4 or 5 injuries and/or losses in form to our first team regulars and we’re screwed plus there are some positions where just one injury and/or loss of form means a system change.

I think all of our players worked hard and tried their best today but we need a significant shake up in the next few transfer windows if we are serious about promotion. Either that or incredible good luck with player form and injury. 

your headline is true, I looked at it over the last couple of weeks and wondered if us conceding late goals was down to us 'burning out' or actually trying to save energy for the next games.

if fletcher gets injured, were up **** creek without a paddle, it may end up being 'hang on for grim death' and 0-0 jos style.

we've spent a lot of money, and got little to show.

Edited by dorian gray
addition

On 12/11/2019 at 11:13, gurujuan said:

That’s why I was banging on about getting some younger legs into the squad last summer. We needed to energise an ageing group Hopefully we will use the January window to do what we should have done in the summer, and bring in 2 or 3 young loanees

and hands?

On 09/11/2019 at 22:09, Animis said:

Irrespective of what happens in May, we are at the end of road with more than half of this squad. 

Total different team next season whichever league we are in.

whilst agreeing with you, it maybe 'evolution' not 'revolution', as the financial straightjacket of p&s will limit our chances of 'competing fairly' with the 'failure money' brigade.

On 09/11/2019 at 22:55, Lionel Fessi said:

Big worry how bad we were without Bannan vs Blackburn....and we all know how poor we are at the back without Hutchinson's presence.

Disagree about the rest of the team though, I think the squad we have is good enough to win promotion.

If CW can get United promoted with the very average players they had last season it should be a message to Monk and other managers on whats possible.

We don't need superstars in every position to go up, such a misconception. Having a efficient style of play, a proper system and well drilled players is all you need.

For a comparison just look at Stoke, they have some of the best individuals in the whole league yet they (were) rock bottom of the table. Then you look at 2nd place Preston, 1 or 2 stand out players but not best in the league by a long stretch and the rest is all down to a good manager, dominant at home, sold style of play and players who understand their role.

Monk needs to build around the right players, looks like the core of the team he's building is Borner-Hutchinson-Bannan-Fletcher, if that's good enough we'll see.. but I haven't seen any evidence yet that we aren't good enough to compete with any team in this league...Swansea, Leeds and Fulham we've played now and looked just as good or better in all 3. 

many in our squad were brought in for a sh*t or bust two season attempt at promotion, 4 seasons ago.

promotions aren't based on 'looking good' they're based on winning.

Edited by dorian gray