• Murphy
    • Lee
    • Fletcher
    • Nuhiu
    • Harris
    • Forestieri
    • Reach
    • Rhodes

So frustrating that. Much the better side in the first half but if you give away 2 cheap goals like that then it is hard to win games at this level, even though we did have more than enough chances to do so.

Westwood not good enough today. Poor for the first goal and poor distribution. The concerning thing is that Dawson has much the same traits, solid shot stopping but poor kicking and poor on crosses.

Lees did OK today considering the lack of football he has had but his limitations in terms of distribution are clear in comparison with Borner. Iorfa played well but does tend to end his bursting runs from the back with a poor pass.

Full-backs did OK and a shame for Fox his goal wasn't the winner. Palmer looked a little jaded at times today and didn't offer much going forward.

Bannan and Lee did OK, thought Lee started the game really well but played a poor chipped pass into the box when he should have had a shot which seemed to affect his confidence.

Harris wasn't at his best today, Murphy was much brighter than we have seen which was encouraging but surely should have scored one of his chances, especially 2nd half.

Nuhiu I though played well and was a little unlucky to get subbed rather than Fletcher today. We were the better side for large periods of the game while he was on the pitch but were losing when he went off. For 10-15 minutes after he went off we lost our way and Forestieri hardly had a touch but then went so close to getting the 3 points.

Forestieri struggled to get involved but then popped up in the right place at the right time. Reach got us on the front foot again when he came on and was influential in our first goal. Needs to be positive like that a lot more when he starts games as he is capable of influencing games far more than he has done recently.

The goals we conceded were poor, Westwood has to hold onto the cross for the first one but even then we have 3 players around it when the ball drops but let their man nip in. The 2nd one they get a good run and clean header on a cross which if we defend we should go on and see the game out. 

2 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I thought Nuhiu, Murphy, Lee, Fox, Lees and Bannan all put a shift in

Reach showed why he shouldn't be dropped

But big Dom surpassed the lot

If Reach had been starting games like that he would never be dropped. 

10 hours ago, horny owl said:

Big Dave and Dom were awesome today

Dont get why Fox is being so highly rated

Glad he scored but he’s one of the most limited players we’ve got

Don't know where you're coming from on the Fox comment, did his defensive job well, supported Harris well going forward decent passing and crosses into penalty area ,just as good as Bidwell for Swansea, improving game by game, needs support from the fans, his confidence must be fragile from the bad performances of the past. 

Westwood - 5 - Two tremendous saves, but an absolute rudimentary error for the first. Also should be giving his defender the shout for the corner beforehand.  

Palmer - 7 - Thought he played well, though like everyone went panic stations at the end,

Iorfa - 7.5 - Not only playing well, but when he does have lapse he has recovery pace to recover the situation. Has become an absolute shoe-in at centre half.

Lees - 6.5 - I thought he looked solid considering he's been out for ages. Won his aerial duels though I was reminded that his distribution isn't near as good as Borners. 

Fox - 7 - A solid display against a rapid player. Nice for him to round it up wih a goal. Much blame getting attached to him for the first goal. Nonsense. If you're the last man and you don't get a shout you deal with it.  You can't not head that ball if you don't know what's behind you. 

Bannan - 6 -  Outnumbered against Swanseas 3 man central midfield he struggled to find the space and get going.  It's always going to be the weakness of us starting two up top. We don't have a midfield with the physicality to deal with it when the opposition get a foothold of possession. 

Lee - 6 - considering he's been out for the best part of two years it's going to be baby steps. But I thought he was neat wnd tidy. His gambling on their keeper spilling Reach's shot showed his natural football intelligence was the main reason we scored that goal. Sadly this system doesn't allow him to do that as much because it risks leaving Bannan isolated on the break 2 v 1

Murphy - 7 - His best game for my money. Looked lively. Tried to make things happen. Should have scored,  and his set pieces weren't bad. Was Was a little surprised when he got the hook to be honest. 

Harris - 6 - In and out. His pace always remains a threat, but I thought he was crowded out a lot and made the wrong decisions. 

Nuhiu - 7.5 - I thought he was our best player in the first half. Holding the ball, linking the play and winning he aerial duels. He gave us a platform to play from. Was surprised he was subbed off and for a 20 minute spell we didn't get the ball to stick. Equally he was missed in the last 10 when the ball was coming back everytime it went forward and brought more pressure on us.

Fletcher - 6 - Not Fletcher's best game. Linked well with the big man but didn't get himself into the positions he usually does. Unlucky with the header that hit the post though, did everything right. 

Forestieri - 6 - Nice poach for the goal and looked to link forward.  

Reach - 6 - Showed a directness and positive that we'd all like to see more of from the start of games. 

Rhodes - Trying to think when I last saw A lad look so devoid of confidence. 

We could and should have been been 3 goals to the good before they scored. 

It was as positive a start as I've seen us make to a game. 

A lack of communication and simple blunder for thier first goal was dissapointed,  but something of a recent theme.  

We did well to get back into it, especially as our changes actuslly initially gave Swansea the impetus as the ball was coming back at regular periods and not being held. 

Games naturally open in the final period when tired legs become evident and one side or both are desperate for a goal. This looked like it would work  in our favour , however that lack of the ball sticking up top as our clearances became more desperate encouraged the late Swansea fightback. 

Man of the Match : Nuhiu.  Felt we lost momentum when he went off and was surprised he wasn't left on to work with Fernando.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Fox - 7 - A solid display against a rapid player. Nice for him to round it up wih a goal. Much blame getting attached to him for the first goal. Nonsense. If you're the last man and you don't get a shout you deal with it.  You can't not head that ball if you don't know what's behind you. 

I'd have been delighted for him had his goal been the winner but having since watched the highlights back you can't give him a 7.

Yes he should have got a shout for the corner he conceded but do we know for sure he didn't? Besides that, it wasn't as if it was a whipped cross, it came from deep, he had time to assess what was around him and should have known that there was nobody behind or indeed anywhere near him.

Both goals can be blamed on Westwood for sure but Fox has a chance to bail him out for both. He should be first to the ball when Westwood drops it but for some reason decides to wait for it to drop further 4 yards out and gets beat to it. The 2nd goal, he lets his man run off him and the player he is supposed to be marking is free in the 6 yard box to bundle it in, arguably he is as culpable for that goal as anyone. 

10 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I'd have been delighted for him had his goal been the winner but having since watched the highlights back you can't give him a 7.

Yes he should have got a shout for the corner he conceded but do we know for sure he didn't? Besides that, it wasn't as if it was a whipped cross, it came from deep, he had time to assess what was around him and should have known that there was nobody behind or indeed anywhere near him.

Both goals can be blamed on Westwood for sure but Fox has a chance to bail him out for both. He should be first to the ball when Westwood drops it but for some reason decides to wait for it to drop further 4 yards out and gets beat to it. The 2nd goal, he lets his man run off him and the player he is supposed to be marking is free in the 6 yard box to bundle it in, arguably he is as culpable for that goal as anyone. 

Last goal yes.  First goal,  and I don't care what anyone says when that high cross comes in and you're last man you deal with it unless someone in a better position gives you a call. I've been fined for letting those drop.

My kind will never change on that. 

The goal itself. ..I don't know what people were expecting Fox to clear it with, Westwood drops the ball into Foxs face. I know he's got a big sneck but not one capable of clearing it!

It runs down the front of his body, has anyone on here  ever tried kicking something level with their own bellybutton?

I haven't because I suspect it's humanly impossible without snapping a limb off and using it as a bat. 

He tries to step back away from the ball so that he can kick at it and that is when Lees' man loses the skipper and gets a toe on it. 

I'm not attaching any blame on that goal to Fox.

Second goal. 100% attachment to him he's totally let his man get a run on him and a simple tap - after presuming it wouldn't get there. 

He's fell asleep to the adage "Never pressure someone will deal with it"

28 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Westwood - 5 - Two tremendous saves, but an absolute rudimentary error for the first. Also should be giving his defender the shout for the corner beforehand.  

Palmer - 7 - Thought he played well, though like everyone went panic stations at the end,

Iorfa - 7.5 - Not only playing well, but when he does have lapse he has recovery pace to recover the situation. Has become an absolute shoe-in at centre half.

Lees - 6.5 - I thought he looked solid considering he's been out for ages. Won his aerial duels though I was reminded that his distribution isn't near as good as Borners. 

Bannan - 6 -  Outnumbered against Swanseas 3 man central midfield he struggled to find the space and get going.  It's always going to be the weakness of us starting two up top. We don't have a midfield with the physicality to deal with it when the opposition get a foothold of possession. 

Lee - 6 - considering he's been out for the best part of two years it's going to be baby steps. But I thought he was neat wnd tidy. His gambling on their keeper spilling Reach's shot showed his natural football intelligence was the main reason we scored that goal. Sadly this system doesn't allow him to do that as much because it risks leaving Bannan isolated on the break 2 v 1

Murphy - 7 - His best game for my money. Looked lively. Tried to make things happen. Should have scored,  and his set pieces weren't bad. Was Was a little surprised when he got the hook to be honest. 

Harris - 6 - In and out. His pace always remains a threat, but I thought he was crowded out a lot and made the wrong decisions. 

Nuhiu - 7.5 - I thought he was our best player in the first half. Holding the ball, linking the play and winning he aerial duels. He gave us a platform to play from. Was surprised he was subbed off and for a 20 minute spell we didn't get the ball to stick. Equally he was missed in the last 10 when the ball was coming back everytime it went forward and brought more pressure on us.

Fletcher - 6 - Not Fletcher's best game. Linked well with the big man but didn't get himself into the positions he usually does. Unlucky with the header that hit the post though, did everything right. 

Forestieri - 6 - Nice poach for the goal and looked to link forward.  

Reach - 6 - Showed a directness and positive that we'd all like to see more of from the start of games. 

Rhodes - Trying to think when I last saw A lad look so devoid of confidence. 

We could and should have been been 3 goals to the good before they scored. 

It was as positive a start as I've seen us make to a game. 

A lack of communication and simple blunder for thier first goal was dissapointed,  but something of a recent theme.  

We did well to get back into it, especially as our changes actuslly initially gave Swansea the impetus as the ball was coming back at regular periods and not being held. 

Games naturally open in the final period when tired legs become evident and one side or both are desperate for a goal. This looked like it would work  in our favour , however that lack of the ball sticking up top as our clearances became more desperate encouraged the late Swansea fightback. 

Man of the Match : Nuhiu.  Felt we lost momentum when he went off and was surprised he wasn't left on to work with Fernando.

This with knobs on ....

As an aside 

Rhodes looked like he'd just been woken up from a park bench over the road ...

Looks out of shape ....

But bulging pockets mind .......

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Gonads, both goals down to goalkeeper errors, it's the keepers call in the box every time, the cross for the corner needs keeper to shout, the corner should never have been dropped in the first place, and corner for second goal he should have at least got a hand or punch on it,but lets blame Fox. 

Guest LittleG

Struggling to name a man of the match. They all put a shift in but nobody really stood out. Nobody played that good but conversely nobody played that bad, although Westwood probably the one that needs to look at himself. If Fox hadn't scored I'm not sure he would have been in contention, Dom defended well but his distribution was poor at times. Lees and Palmer also defended OK. BB and Lee were much of a muchness; steady but nothing outstanding. Lee had a couple of opportunities in first half when put through but wasted both, seemed afraid to shoot. Same with the wide men, looked as though they could do something but then made wrong decisions. Up front Fletch and Nuihu had to constantly deal with long balls lumped forward to them, bit predictable at times our play, although we did make chances. Who to go for? 

2 hours ago, gizowl said:

Gonads, both goals down to goalkeeper errors, it's the keepers call in the box every time, the cross for the corner needs keeper to shout, the corner should never have been dropped in the first place, and corner for second goal he should have at least got a hand or punch on it,but lets blame Fox. 

Which part of my post in which I stated that Westwood was to blame but Fox had the opportunity to bail him out did you fail to understand? Seemingly all of it.

15 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

If Reach had been starting games like that he would never be dropped. 

I agree

But I don't think he's been as bad as some people suggest

Even during his recent dip in form, he's still been near the top in the 'putting effort in' stats

People expect a wonder goal each game, that's all

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

2 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Last goal yes.  First goal,  and I don't care what anyone says when that high cross comes in and you're last man you deal with it unless someone in a better position gives you a call. I've been fined for letting those drop.

My kind will never change on that. 

The goal itself. ..I don't know what people were expecting Fox to clear it with, Westwood drops the ball into Foxs face. I know he's got a big sneck but not one capable of clearing it!

It runs down the front of his body, has anyone on here  ever tried kicking something level with their own bellybutton?

I haven't because I suspect it's humanly impossible without snapping a limb off and using it as a bat. 

He tries to step back away from the ball so that he can kick at it and that is when Lees' man loses the skipper and gets a toe on it. 

I'm not attaching any blame on that goal to Fox.

Second goal. 100% attachment to him he's totally let his man get a run on him and a simple tap - after presuming it wouldn't get there. 

He's fell asleep to the adage "Never pressure someone will deal with it"

We will just have to disagree about the first goal then, it doesn't run down his body, yes it falls too close to him for him to deal with easily but he backs away from it 3 steps, if you are in your own 6 yard box defending a corner you get anything on it rather than back away, even if it is belly button first it moves it away from where Ayew thinks it is dropping. 

Westwood 5 - 2 great saves but irrelevant when you make two errors.  Distribution so slow again.

Palmer 5 - Just off form, needs a break

Iorfa 7

Lees 7

Fox 7

Murphy 7

Bannan 5 - never really got into the game

Lee 6 - still not the player he was

Harris 5 - struggled again

Fletcher - 5  missed good chances, and some of hold up play ineffective

Nuhiu 7 - put a shift in and some good link play.  Should have stayed on.  We lost our shape when he went off.

Reach 7

Forestieri 6

Didn't get the subs today.  Nuhiu and Murphy were two of the better performers.  Fletcher and Harris should probably have been pulled.

33 minutes ago, trotter said:

Westwood 5 - 2 great saves but irrelevant when you make two errors.  Distribution so slow again.

Palmer 5 - Just off form, needs a break

Iorfa 7

Lees 7

Fox 7

Murphy 7

Bannan 5 - never really got into the game

Lee 6 - still not the player he was

Harris 5 - struggled again

Fletcher - 5  missed good chances, and some of hold up play ineffective

Nuhiu 7 - put a shift in and some good link play.  Should have stayed on.  We lost our shape when he went off.

Reach 7

Forestieri 6

Didn't get the subs today.  Nuhiu and Murphy were two of the better performers.  Fletcher and Harris should probably have been pulled.

How long have you been writing this post for?

4 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Which part of my post in which I stated that Westwood was to blame but Fox had the opportunity to bail him out did you fail to understand? Seemingly all of it.