Monk is ambitious, glad to hear

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Christ yes.

Same old faces doing the same things.

Look, they have been a decent group of players for us, but it never quite happened for them and I'm still far from convinced they've really got it in them to go the extra yard this time.

Some big decisions to be made this summer

Personally, apart from Harris, Bannan, Iorfa and Börner,  I wouldn’t be upset to see any of the others go, and even if a substantial bid did come in for one of those 4, it would have to be considered

3 minutes ago, Stoop said:

Some big decisions to be made this summer

Personally, apart from Harris, Bannan, Iorfa and Börner,  I wouldn’t be upset to see any of the others go, and even if a substantial bid did come in for one of those 4, it would have to be considered

Add fletcher to that, the rest can sod off 

6 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

One of those faces? The foook you on about 

Whenever I watched his interviews before coming here he always seemed to be smirking and I used to think I could happily wipe it off

15 hours ago, Salmonbones said:

Monk hasn't really been allowed to settle yet, and has an alarmingly high amount of clubs for his age.

I've said for years we want someone who can build for a long term future and we've had some pretenders to the throne. 

I'd like to see some good foundations laid and if we don't end up top 6 this season allow him to see through his vision.    I don't want Chansiri to get it wrong third time on the trot and get rid too soon this time where he has held on too long previously.

My only concern is the lack of using some youth who will move on if not used, like Thorniley.   

Thorniley is probably 5th choice centre back behind Iorfa, Borner, Less and Hutch. He’s a long way behind their level and at 22 isn’t really youth anymore. Don’t believe the club would’ve recruited Borner and Bates if they believed Thorniley was the next big thing.  Nothing against the lad but would happily see him go for a decent fee to ease FFP worries. 

24 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Tbf, even if we went up, I'd bin off most the squad who are out of contract. 

I wouldn't keep any out of contract, as for the rest, they would find themselves looking elsewhere.

15 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

He's not had a transfer window yet, the football is effective rather than pretty

But some people aren't happy

Monk needs more time to implement his own philosophy and recruit players to fit his philosophy. He’s our manager, he comes across very well and we need to get behind him and the team.  Most posters agree. 

Some still aren’t happy because:

There were genuine signs that Bruce could be the man to finally take us back to the promised land. We have gone backwards since the end of last season.

Monk was no one’s first choice. We were dreaming of a more interesting, fresher appointment (Cowleys, Campbell etc)

Monks current safety first , pragmatic approach to tactics and team selection has negated the feel good factor of a new manager’s arrival and the fresh hope that always brings. 

These are all reasonable concerns given our clubs recent history. Improved performances and results over time are the only way to get everyone on board 

15 hours ago, Salmonbones said:

For the sake of it no, but for the sake of bringing on those who have a chance of making it, absolutely.

Thorniley has consistently shown he is able, even when played out of position and I can't think of too many more to be honest so you are right in that respect as I can only use him as an example right now.

Maybe Penney upon his return but i'm not sure how his loan is going.

Unfortunately Thorniley, Penney and the current crop of U23’s are average academy graduates but nothing more. 

Anyone lucky enough to remember when the likes of Knight, Beevers, Newsone, Bart-Williams, Hirst and Jonsson we’re introduced into the first team as teenagers will recognise the difference between average and outstanding youngsters. Another example would be Ross Barkley’s loan spell.  Such players didn’t just make up the numbers, the team was weaker without them. They had attributes that set them apart 

Our current crop of youngsters are more like Wood, Hyde, McAllister and Barrick. Good lads who’ll give everything for the shirt but nothing more than squad member potential. 

if we want fresh new blood we will have to recruit from other sources in the near future at least. 

2 hours ago, The Horse said:

The telling part for me in that article was when he said 'there is a lot of work to do here'.

That statement means we are going to have to be patient as I think that also reveals that he knows our players are not good enough for a promotion push.

Key for me is - does he have the personality to manage this group through this period of transition and also - us.

Way I see it is that big clubs like ours with top half Prem ambitions and large and demanding fanbases seem to need 'big' personalities to deal with them and move them in the right direction.

The players need someone who will stand up to them and put them in their place or whom have reputations that demand respect.

Fans love to see a personality that has a hint of arrogance / a winning attitude to belive in and get behind.

Think Wilkinson, Ron Atkinson, Steve Bruce for us. Interestingly, the only managers in my lifetime who have delivered success of any real note. I count Bruce in there as I think he had the same effect on the club as the other two in terms of attitude if not the time to see the success.

Look at the Prem clubs who had / are successful - Fergie would take no crap from anyone. Wenger was an arrogant sod - an awful loser. Mourinho in his prime was just pure ego and self belief. Klopp has a personality that's bigger than the Mersey is wide. And *cough* Wilder is an absolute cheeky monkey but has that aggressive winning belief and mentality.
The only anomaly in amongst them is Guardiola who seems to be on a zen like other level to everybody else. In the world.

I get that Monk has a lot of work to do.

I like that he wants to be here for years.
I just hope his calm and assured manner means we have someone in the Pep mould because this big, old and quite rightly demanding club will eat him up if not.

Cant see Pep getting ten men behind the ball and limping it long to Big Dave 

78FD4A3F-BEBF-4C6C-86FF-AD9871A93CD2.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Slogboy said:

Perhaps the club ain't outstanding anymore. Average maybe. Talent has to be nurtured whatever era youre living in. Wheres the nurturing at SWFC?

Chicken and egg though isn’t it. You can’t nurture the talent if it simply isn’t there but the talent won’t come through if you don’t nurture it. 
We are suffering from decades of underinvestment in our academy under Richards, Allan and Mandaric. The best youngsters in Sheffield have been attracted to the superior facilities and coaches at Utd and even Barnsley or the satellites run by Man City, Man Utd and Leeds. Also the ridiculous policy of selecting kids in the 90s based on genetics and biometrics rather than talent. 

16 hours ago, Salmonbones said:

For the sake of it no, but for the sake of bringing on those who have a chance of making it, absolutely.

Thorniley has consistently shown he is able, even when played out of position and I can't think of too many more to be honest so you are right in that respect as I can only use him as an example right now.

Maybe Penney upon his return but i'm not sure how his loan is going.

Hls last game against Everton he looked like a little boy lost if there good enough they will force their way in

49 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Unfortunately Thorniley, Penney and the current crop of U23’s are average academy graduates but nothing more. 

Anyone lucky enough to remember when the likes of Knight, Beevers, Newsone, Bart-Williams, Hirst and Jonsson we’re introduced into the first team as teenagers will recognise the difference between average and outstanding youngsters. Another example would be Ross Barkley’s loan spell.  Such players didn’t just make up the numbers, the team was weaker without them. They had attributes that set them apart 

Our current crop of youngsters are more like Wood, Hyde, McAllister and Barrick. Good lads who’ll give everything for the shirt but nothing more than squad member potential. 

if we want fresh new blood we will have to recruit from other sources in the near future at least. 

Time will tell I guess, and it will take time after years of neglect. It’s not all gloom though, we have two home produced keepers, who could eventually become our number 1 and 2. Palmer has established himself as a decent championship full back, and Thorniley and Penney would be worth a place in the squad, so things are getting better. 

What we have done in recent seasons, is duplicate every position, with an equally experienced player. This is a short term policy, which has sadly failed, so I’d like to see us move away from that. 

Who will be next to come through from the development squads, I don’t know, maybe that will become clearer as the season progresses. One thing I’ve noticed, Monk seems keen to involve some of the likelier lads in first team training sessions. I’m happy with that, but I don’t want to see youngsters promoted for the sake of it They have to earn that promotion

• Like 1

16 hours ago, full fathom five said:

I'm still reserving judgement on Monk, seen both good and some not so good things, let's see how the picture looks in late January early February.

Bugger that, lets get Monk out NOW and get another body in, for 6 months and if we are not champions, won the grand national get rid.