Monk is ambitious, glad to hear

54 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Wednesday fans won't have someone "Who can build for years"..

Maybe we should, but f.ook me...

You take it from a managers point of view and its fair enough...

"I need time to build a team"

"Yep..you do..."

but then look at it from a Wednesday fans point of view ..

"Ive been waiting 2 f.ookin' decades ..for a team" 

"Yep..you have"

How do you square that circle...?

I thought Bruce was the answer, the way we finished last season,

The Villa game killed us...and even Villa fans thought we should have won that one..then...who knows?.

Obviously every new incumbent thinks that the fans are asking for miracles...and every Wednesday fan thinks we deserve a f.ookin' miracle...cos its been 2 decades of stuff that has been far from miraculous

How do you square that  circle?

To Wednesday fans...Its always "nearly"

If Atkinson had stayed and built after '91?...."Ohh NEARLY!"

If Richards hadn't set Atkinson back on..then sacked him outta spite?..."ohh NEARLY!"

I'm not one to say stuff is "Written in the stars"..but crikey..I thought it was,  when Jones took us on that run that ended with the Wycombe game...40'000 in Hillsborough, the place bouncing, an electric atmosphere that would rival any....anywhere in the country...

Then what happens?

You go out to start the f.ookin' car next season, the battery is dead, Jones has lost interest..and its more or less back to square one.

Wednesday fans now look at every new incumbent with a jaundiced eye...every new incumbent looks at Wednesday fans the same..cos we can be total c.oonts"

But we have reason to be..cos of everything I just bloody posted!

How do you square that circle?

Delphjon looks on...he doesn't see the past, and why should he?..It was nowt to do with him....

He takes over, he ups the prices, some Wednesday fans fall out with it...he's aghast...like every other f.ookin' millionaire is, when someone can't ante up £40 FFS!

and he tries, fair play...cos he's only been here a few years and can't understand the impatience...Impatience?

2 F.OOKIN DECADES!!!..

Thats not impatience...its growin' up, gettin' married and growing a f.ookin' beard!!!!! 

I dunno

Anybody....?

Brilliant post mate..

Sums the whole circus up for me.

difficult post for monk coz in reality with what he's inherited and the limited funds he'll have to spend in the future if he can keep us competitive he'll be doing a good job but whether being competitive will be enough for the fans is open to debate . 

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

difficult post for monk coz in reality with what he's inherited and the limited funds he'll have to spend in the future if he can keep us competitive he'll be doing a good job but whether being competitive will be enough for the fans is open to debate . 

Hopefully the fans will accept being competitive until we can change things in January. To be honest, that should have been sorted in the summer as it was suggested we’d do We made a big point about targeting young talents on loan from the Premier League big boys, but we waited and waited, and it never happened. However, now  2 or 3  targeted loans could rebalance the squad, and without spending a lot of money

28 minutes ago, Mrs Blenkinsops shed said:

Brilliant post mate..

Sums the whole circus up for me.

Personally I thought it was tripe.

Live for the here and now.   The past is irrelevant.   The here and now is the only thing important, and seizing the day is the only thing we can do.

We can't look backwards, we can only look forwards and plan for the future - the past is the past.

Mine rhymes just as well too, to be honest.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Hopefully the fans will accept being competitive until we can change things in January. To be honest, that should have been sorted in the summer as it was suggested we’d do We made a big point about targeting young talents on loan from the Premier League big boys, but we waited and waited, and it never happened. However, now  2 or 3  targeted loans could rebalance the squad, and without spending a lot of money

well they signed 2 young players on loan who havnt impressed so far what makes you think things will be different in the next window ?...….

11 minutes ago, torryowl said:

well they signed 2 young players on loan who havnt impressed so far what makes you think things will be different in the next window ?...….

Well I’m not particularly hopeful, we always seem to be looking for experience over talent, and youthful exuberance 

Edited by gurujuan

2 hours ago, Salmonbones said:

For the sake of it no, but for the sake of bringing on those who have a chance of making it, absolutely.

Thorniley has consistently shown he is able, even when played out of position and I can't think of too many more to be honest so you are right in that respect as I can only use him as an example right now.

Maybe Penney upon his return but i'm not sure how his loan is going.

Would you play Thorniley ahead of Lees, Iorfa,or Borner?

I wouldn't, I was impressed with him when he did play, he's an honest player who didn't let us down but he's not going to displace the 3 above. He could do with going out on loan to a low end Championship side to get more experience but we can't really spare him because he's a capable back up. It's a bit like the Dawson situation, he's good but not quite good enough to replace the player in possession of the shirt.

With the games coming thick and fast it would only take an injury or 2 and he will get his chance. Up to him to be ready.

Monk has come into a pretty tricky situation completely on his own (no plethora of assistants) and grasped the reigns, he deserves a lot of credit for our solid start. 

He has a reputation for being over defensive/cautious but in the Leeds game we showed that we can play on the front foot even against the better side. 

I'm intrigued to see what we do in Jan. 

Guest Ferkorf

I think we need to stick with Monk, I genuinely believe teams dont give managers enough time and chansiri is guilty of giving too much time to certain managers hopefully if we hit a rough patch we give monk time to sort things out as I believe he is a quality manager and to be fair it was scary who else we got linked to when bruce the snake left

He may be ambitious and want time to build but the average term for a football manager across all 4 divisions is less than 18 months.

Statistically, if we aren't in the top 6 this year or by Christmas 2020 he'll be gone.

9 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

He may be ambitious and want time to build but the average term for a football manager across all 4 divisions is less than 18 months.

Statistically, if we aren't in the top 6 this year or by Christmas 2020 he'll be gone.

If we aren’t in the top six in his 16 months, then he probably isn’t the right man We are not starting from scratch, we have a good, but unbalanced squad. He can remedy that in a couple of windows

Guest The Horse

The telling part for me in that article was when he said 'there is a lot of work to do here'.

That statement means we are going to have to be patient as I think that also reveals that he knows our players are not good enough for a promotion push.

Key for me is - does he have the personality to manage this group through this period of transition and also - us.

Way I see it is that big clubs like ours with top half Prem ambitions and large and demanding fanbases seem to need 'big' personalities to deal with them and move them in the right direction.

The players need someone who will stand up to them and put them in their place or whom have reputations that demand respect.

Fans love to see a personality that has a hint of arrogance / a winning attitude to belive in and get behind.

Think Wilkinson, Ron Atkinson, Steve Bruce for us. Interestingly, the only managers in my lifetime who have delivered success of any real note. I count Bruce in there as I think he had the same effect on the club as the other two in terms of attitude if not the time to see the success.

Look at the Prem clubs who had / are successful - Fergie would take no crap from anyone. Wenger was an arrogant sod - an awful loser. Mourinho in his prime was just pure ego and self belief. Klopp has a personality that's bigger than the Mersey is wide. And *cough* Wilder is an absolute cheeky monkey but has that aggressive winning belief and mentality.
The only anomaly in amongst them is Guardiola who seems to be on a zen like other level to everybody else. In the world.

I get that Monk has a lot of work to do.

I like that he wants to be here for years.
I just hope his calm and assured manner means we have someone in the Pep mould because this big, old and quite rightly demanding club will eat him up if not.

I am very happy with Monk 

he has a great work ethic and Ideas 

up to now he is working with other managers players 

He plays his cards close to his chest though and I am sure he will know what he would change if the circumstances permit 

need to be patient with him 

I think he will do well for us but needs time 

It seemed to be roundly accepted  Bruce would need 3 windows to notch us up a level. 

Monk has had no window yet but the expectation is that he should have notched us up a level. 

Bizarre.

He's made strides with what he's got. Let's see what he can do when he puts his own stamp on the squad. 

Until then, I'm happy with us competing every week and being at the right end of the table. 

14 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Wednesday fans won't have someone "Who can build for years"..

Maybe we should, but f.ook me...

You take it from a managers point of view and its fair enough...

"I need time to build a team"

"Yep..you do..."

but then look at it from a Wednesday fans point of view ..

"Ive been waiting 2 f.ookin' decades ..for a team" 

"Yep..you have"

How do you square that circle...?

I thought Bruce was the answer, the way we finished last season,

The Villa game killed us...and even Villa fans thought we should have won that one..then...who knows?.

Obviously every new incumbent thinks that the fans are asking for miracles...and every Wednesday fan thinks we deserve a f.ookin' miracle...cos its been 2 decades of stuff that has been far from miraculous

How do you square that  circle?

To Wednesday fans...Its always "nearly"

If Atkinson had stayed and built after '91?...."Ohh NEARLY!"

If Richards hadn't set Atkinson back on..then sacked him outta spite?..."ohh NEARLY!"

I'm not one to say stuff is "Written in the stars"..but crikey..I thought it was,  when Jones took us on that run that ended with the Wycombe game...40'000 in Hillsborough, the place bouncing, an electric atmosphere that would rival any....anywhere in the country...

Then what happens?

You go out to start the f.ookin' car next season, the battery is dead, Jones has lost interest..and its more or less back to square one.

Wednesday fans now look at every new incumbent with a jaundiced eye...every new incumbent looks at Wednesday fans the same..cos we can be total c.oonts"

But we have reason to be..cos of everything I just bloody posted!

Delphjon looks on...he doesn't see the past, and why should he?..It was nowt to do with him....

He takes over, he ups the prices, some Wednesday fans fall out with it...he's aghast...like every other f.ookin' millionaire is, when someone can't ante up £40 FFS!

and he tries, fair play...cos he's only been here a few years and can't understand the impatience...Impatience?

2 F.OOKIN DECADES!!!..

Thats not impatience...its growin' up, gettin' married and growing a f.ookin' beard!!!!! 

I dunno

Anybody....?

garymegson

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

It seemed to be roundly accepted  Bruce would need 3 windows to notch us up a level. 

Monk has had no window yet but the expectation is that he should have notched us up a level. 

Bizarre.

He's made strides with what he's got. Let's see what he can do when he puts his own stamp on the squad. 

Until then, I'm happy with us competing every week and being at the right end of the table. 

Exactly. He'll have his own ideas about how he wants to shape the squad, but he's having to make do with what he's got for now.

It's another reason why I was calling for Chansiri to appoint a permanent manager as quickly as possible after Bruce walked out: being drafted in after half a dozen games to work with somebody else's squad and with no prospect of altering things for half a season is far from ideal, and was completely avoidable.

Needs time.

If he was to get the current team into the top 6, then he would have done an excellent job imo.

Has to have the opportunity to stamp his authority on the squad and bring his own players in.

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Needs time.

If he was to get the current team into the top 6, then he would have done an excellent job imo.

Has to have the opportunity to stamp his authority on the squad and bring his own players in.

Agreed

Tbh I’m growing abit tired of seeing the same old faces year after year

Thd squad needs a major freshen up next summer 

2 minutes ago, Stoop said:

Agreed

Tbh I’m growing abit tired of seeing the same old faces year after year

Thd squad needs a major freshen up next summer 

Christ yes.

Same old faces doing the same things.

Look, they have been a decent group of players for us, but it never quite happened for them and I'm still far from convinced they've really got it in them to go the extra yard this time.