The Rain

11 minutes ago, alanharper said:

2007 was 3 days of non stop heavy rain. This has been 1 day but it's forecast to ease overnight and stop in the morning, it's already less heavy than it was earlier.

We get these threads every time we have a big downpour now! And crap about Hillsborough being "prone" to flooding when its happened once in over 120 years. 

well when the Don breaks it’s banks at Meadowhall again (as in 2007) I think this time it might be pretty serious 

17 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

well when the Don breaks it’s banks at Meadowhall again (as in 2007) I think this time it might be pretty serious 

It does look pretty bad tbh.

Hopefully people at the club have had the sense to actually try precautions this time, sandbags etc.  Did they actually improve defences e.g. higher barriers next to the river, after last time? 

5 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Hopefully people at the club have had the sense to actually try precautions this time, sandbags etc.  Did they actually improve defences e.g. higher barriers next to the river, after last time? 

i don’t think there was much they could do. The council / environmental agency spent millions clearing the rivers so water could move better, I guess in the next 12 hours we’ll see how they did. 

unlike 2007 tho the large amount of leaves that have fallen in the past few weeks will be an issue with drains 

53 minutes ago, fatbloke said:

Squeaky bum time hitting bridge tops now just drove out to chesterfield through Sheffield,Don into Rotherham is very rapid,ulley Res overflowed all roads which have streams that feed Don are closed around wincobank etc I think it’s gonna be touch n go that we don’t get flooding at Hillsborough,hope im wrong 

Just send Borner there...he will stop it! 

• Thanks 1

Don’t want to be negative but it is now as bad here in Ecclesfield as in 2007 with flooding now quite widespread in spite of significant work since 2007 to prevent flooding. 2007 was in June but now it is happening on land already saturated by 4 weeks almost continual rain. 

it could be touch and go. 

9 minutes ago, alanharper said:

I think its been dredged a few times further down the river.

7 minutes ago, alanharper said:

From memory - wasn't there some sort of drainage system from the ground directly into the river but there was no way of preventing water from the river "backing up" and entering the ground.  But that once the floods had reduced they put some sort of valve system in to prevent this. Hope so