Dawson - New Contract or Sell?

2 hours ago, SiJ said:

I don't think there's too much difference shot stopping wise or with distribution.

Where Westwood gets the nod is his organisation skills. Think he bosses his box a bit better too.

Yeah agree, hes missing that command and vocal nature of his game.

Westwood seems to be continually, talking, organising and shouting at the back four. 

No one knows what his communication skills are like from watching from the stands - this is just one of those things people assume because westwood has a melt down at defenders now again.

45 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

Yeah agree, hes missing that command and vocal nature of his game.

Westwood seems to be continually, talking, organising and shouting at the back four. 

Thing is with such as commanding and marshaling a back four comes with age and experience. 

It was the biggest problem under jos, its hard enough for a young keeper who hasn't yet earned the status in the dressing room to have that authority over much more experienced players, let alone when theres wholesale changes in both personal and formation EVERY match. 

It was bound to erode his confidence, add to that the flack he was getting from some fans and social media. 

It could have broken the lad (maybe we' have with wildsmith), but like fox of late he seems to have pushed himself harder. 

10 hours ago, ka58 said:

No one knows what his communication skills are like from watching from the stands - this is just one of those things people assume because westwood has a melt down at defenders now again.

No they don’t,  but you can get a good idea watching from there He doesn’t take control of situations when defending a set play for example That was noticeable early season. He will learn this with games though. We will soon need someone to take over from Westwood, and Dawson with a few more games under his belt, would be the ideal candidate.

Personally, I would sign him to a new contract, and then if Wildsmith is fit, let Dawson go out on loan to get games. Wildsmith can then cover for Westwood. We are well blessed when it comes to keepers, when it comes to succession, so no point in creating a problem where there isn’t one

Edited by gurujuan

15 hours ago, outlaw pete said:

he can move on in January to any club he wishes on a Free Transfer,

so forget about selling him.

No he can't move to any club.

If say Derby came in for him, they can't just approach Dawson's agent, thrash out a deal and join there and then, there must be a fee involved.

If a club abroad or in Scotland came in for him he is allowed to sign a pre-contract to join in the summer but not before.

52 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

No they don’t,  but you can get a good idea watching from there He doesn’t take control of situations when defending a set play for example That was noticeable early season. He will learn this with games though. We will soon need someone to take over from Westwood, and Dawson with a few more games under his belt, would be the ideal candidate.

Personally, I would sign him to a new contract, and then if Wildsmith is fit, let Dawson go out on loan to get games. Wildsmith can then cover for Westwood. We are well blessed when it comes to keepers, when it comes to succession, so no point in creating a problem where there isn’t one

Why would you send our 2nd best keeper away, it's not a rarity for Westwood to get injured, our 2nd choice keeper plays more often than most 2nd choices do, therefore for us it's pretty important we have a decent 2nd choice keeper. We could do with one of Forest's keepers rather than Dawson and Wildsmith

14 hours ago, SiJ said:

I don't think there's too much difference shot stopping wise or with distribution.

Where Westwood gets the nod is his organisation skills. Think he bosses his box a bit better too.

Actually, I think Dawson is the slightly better shot stopper. Distribution on a par, Westwood more accurate but Dawson able to distribute quicker, when needed.

I agree regarding organisation,  this is where Westwood excels, he controls his area, the defence and instills confidence. I'd also assess his positioning as superior. 

That said, these attributes come with experience and can see the gap shortening as Dawson matures into the first team GK role. I genuinely see Dawson as our long term GK and would be very surprised if we don't sign him up to a longer contract.

Very little between the two of them ability wise but dawson will probably improve and could make us lot more money in the future  while westwood won't so for me I'd be investing in dawson and make him 1st choice.....though having given westwood a 2 year deal on what youd think decent  money the club will see it that way is debatable  and may well cash in now to help offset any FFP worries .

15 minutes ago, striker said:

Actually, I think Dawson is the slightly better shot stopper. Distribution on a par, Westwood more accurate but Dawson able to distribute quicker, when needed.

I agree regarding organisation,  this is where Westwood excels, he controls his area, the defence and instills confidence. I'd also assess his positioning as superior. 

That said, these attributes come with experience and can see the gap shortening as Dawson matures into the first team GK role. I genuinely see Dawson as our long term GK and would be very surprised if we don't sign him up to a longer contract.

Completely agree. 

I think that ability to organise and be vocal is something that will come with age and more experience. 

Dawson could be a very, very good keeper for us if he is given time, opportunities and most important afforded some patience. 

Yes, he has had some up and downs, but I've seen more than enough from him to suggest there is a future number 1 there. 

The guy has made three of four top class saves this season - Barnsley, Cardiff and Stoke all come to mind. 

Put it this way: 

If he does want to leave, then we have sell in January and get some money for him. Be really peed off if we let a good keeper like him walk out on a free in the summer, particularly to a potential rival. 

Edited by SiJ

40 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

So promote him and make Westwood the number 2.

He dropped him for the millwall game after keeping a clean sheet against Barnsley, dropped for the Leeds game after making a world class save against stoke so I can’t see him being made number 1 anytime soon.

For me its very simple he is a championship quality keepers currently, if we didn't keep him would we sign another keeper, if the answer is yes then why pay a fee and high wages and instead sign him up to a new longer 3-4 deal.

I just don't understand our club harping on about developing our own players then when we do we don't reward the players, Dawson, Penney teo good young players to come through the youth set up to the first team both into the last 9 months of their contracts why do we keep making the David Hirst mistake - why as a club do we not learn from our past mistakes with young players and letting players get to the last 12 months of their contract.

We should have no players in the last 12 months of their contract under 30.

Love the quaint utopian vision some seem to have of Westy somehow coaching Dawson directly. Poor lad would probably quit football in terror.

lol

"Alright Cam, first rule of being a goalkeeper: talk to God literally all the time. Yeah like just straight at him, like it's a regular conversation with a shopkeeper or something. There are boring spells in net - yes, even for Wednesday, haha! - and it's nice to have someone to chat to. Just keep that sky-banter up for about 70, 80% of the game and you'll be reyt. Don't forget some looking and pointing up every now and then, too.

Second: you need to be absolutely bone dry at all times, EXCEPT once every 14 minutes when you need to be soaking wet. I'm not going to get bogged down in why, just trust me. Every time you do anything at all - catch a ball, throw a ball, tip one over the bar, let one through your legs - your first action immediately afterwards MUST ALWAYS BE to march briskly into the back of your goal dry your whole face, hands and head on a small brown towel. Yes, even if it's a completely dry day. But then...now PAY ATTENTION, because this is the tricky part...every 6th or 7th time, do the exact same walk into the back of the net, but instead of drying yourself thoroughly, do the exact opposite and literally drench your entire head, neck and chest in water from this small bottle. Yup, even if it's minus two and sleeting. One day you'll understand, but for now, just know this: sometimes, as a goalkeeper, you need to be much drier than all the other players. And sometimes you need to be loads wetter. It's just the way it is.

Rule three: OTHER than towels and water, nothing ever touches your head. EVER. No hats, no hands, nothing. Doesn't matter if it's so sunny you can't see a thing - put a hat on and you're basically going to lose. If someone tries to tousle your hair...well, they won't, because you've spent literaly ten years cultivating a vague sort of barely-suppressed serial killer vibe, see? Yes that does seem like a lot of trouble to go to, but it's about structural integrity of the barnet - that's what gives you the goalie's balance. On that note, if your hair gel moves in the warm-up, go off. It's not safe to continue."

• Haha 1