Dawson - New Contract or Sell?

35 minutes ago, mogbad said:

Westwood makes as many mistakes as Dawson, some of which Dawson would get hammered for by some on here.

More this season, too many of our fans are sentimental 

14 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I'd keep Dawson

But I'd let all the other out of contract players go

Players like Fletcher must be on a very decent deal

We need to take this opportunity to get shut of all the dead wood on massive wages and bring some quality freebies and loans in

Huddersfield got up from this division with freebies and loans

The pigs had one of the lowest wage budgets in this division last year

For too long we've been a retirement home for aging has beens

We need young hungry players like Iorfa

Speaking of which we need to be tying him up on a longer deal

I do agree but arguable our best and most consistent performer over the last 18 months has been Fletcher, if he leaves in the summer together with the other free agents we will have no first team strikers left.

So Fletcher, Winnall, Foestieri, Rhodes and Nuihu - we don't have £20m+ wages to go out and replace them all so I would be looking to tie Fletcher and Forestieri down to longer deals. Both will add value to the squad but I would be looking to offer more realistic championship wages to both.

• Like 1

If I was him I'd just see out his present contract and then see what's on offer  ..... hes a very good keeper but with westwood being so popular it's a fair bet that every mistake he makes will be pounced on by some  if he was to oust westwood from the team  .   

4 hours ago, MarkS43Owl said:

If it's decent money i'd sell. Unfortunately with his contract up at the end of the season and the window coming up in January, I can't see the offers being of good value.

he can move on in January to any club he wishes on a Free Transfer,

so forget about selling him.

3 minutes ago, horny owl said:

Dawson is definitely a keeper

He’ll get plenty of starts if he stays here too because Westwood is made of crumbly cheese 

Would you want to stay knowing that you will always be back on the bench when Westwood is fit again though? Especially at his age now he needs to be starting regularly.

Westwood has another year on his deal.

Big question for Dawson is whether he wants to wait another year before possibly becoming number 1.

Tbf, Monk remarked that it was a very tough decision dropping him for the Leeds game.

Perhaps things will change sooner than we think. Westwood is 35 now, so father time might catch up with him before too long. 

15 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Westwood has another year on his deal.

Big question for Dawson is whether he wants to wait another year before possibly becoming number 1.

Tbf, Monk remarked that it was a very tough decision dropping him for the Leeds game.

Perhaps things will change sooner than we think. Westwood is 35 now, so father time might catch up with him before too long. 

The amount of glaring gaffs he’s made suggests it already has . We’d be mental to let Dawson go 

8 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

No doubt we will hit FFP again and end up under an embargo as early as January.

Would this stop the club from offering new contracts? 

No you can offer existing players contracts but i think the size of them has restrictions over and above what their previous deal was ( dont quote me on that bit tho lol )

6 hours ago, 83owl said:

Offer a New contract. If I were him however I would be off, gets stick before the games even started every time he plays. 

Does he though? Where? On here? Not heard anything at match

keep him for sure

12 minutes ago, james o connor said:

The amount of glaring gaffs he’s made suggests it already has . We’d be mental to let Dawson go 

I don't think there's too much difference shot stopping wise or with distribution.

Where Westwood gets the nod is his organisation skills. Think he bosses his box a bit better too.

2 hours ago, outlaw pete said:

he can move on in January to any club he wishes on a Free Transfer,

so forget about selling him.

No he can’t.....he can sign a pre contract for another club in Jan ready for when his existing one ends but if another club wanted him to play for them from Jan then they have to pay

I know some won't agree, but having watched both Westwood & Dawson this year, the gap has definitely closed right up for me. 

Weather it's just down to Westwoods form hasn't been great this season, making errors in judgment and mistakes or becouse of the high standards /bar he's set in the past. 

Either way for me Dawson has improved from last season and if he can work on a few problem areas such as his ariel ability and command of the area, so it makes sense keeping the lad, though I suppose it all depends on him really and his character?

Does he want to stay here and fight for the no 1 slot against a fans favourite that can do no wrong, whilst his every tiny little mishap is scrutinised?? 

Or head out elsewhere to be no 1 with a new club and just be allowed to improve, his choice. 

I think hes quite close to being our number 1.

As much as ive enjoyed Westwood over the years, Father time is calling. This season could be his last as our number 1.

Big question is can Dawson, shake off that reputation with some fans, he aquired during the jos stint. When he got chuck in, in a poor team, probably a year to early.

He may feel he wont be able to and want to move on. Thats the danger for us.