Dawson - New Contract or Sell?

We should be offering him a new deal without any hesitation.  Although Westwood is the superior keeper of the two, I really don't think there's that much in it when you consider the gap of 11 years experience between the two.  I think in some people's eyes his reputation is tarnished by his spell in goal under Jos (I think unfairly so), and the subsequent return of Westwood and a return to regular clean sheets.  The big issue in my view during this time was the constant chopping and changing of the defence in front of Dawson during this time.  When Westwood was re-introduced he also benefited from a stable back 4 which was a huge contributing factor to our more assured defence.  I don't think Dawson played poorly during this time and handled any criticism very well.  His shot stopping is rarely, if ever questioned but there are some question marks over his organising of the defence.  I think in large part that's because he had an unsettled back four to work with last season, but I'm sure he can also learn more in this respect from Westwood.

The only real question mark I have over Dawson is his positioning of the wall / his own positioning on free kicks, but this is hardly insurmountable. I think it's great to have a keeper of his calibre coming through the ranks and we should do all we can to keep him.

Football is a very short life, at 24 years of age he needs to be playing First team football not sat on the subs bench for the next two years, this will not help his personal development so if I were him I would be looking for a move and regular first team football.

If it's decent money i'd sell. Unfortunately with his contract up at the end of the season and the window coming up in January, I can't see the offers being of good value.

Have to wonder why at this stage of his career he will be wanting to sign again as a No 2 

Suspect he will be gone if Westwood stays, and personally think Westwood will be here until he calls it a day 

Dawson is very much the next Palmer.

Youth player, deemed not quite up to standard very early on.

Palmer is now very much earning his stripes and cost us 0. 
Absolutely renew, with a good long contract to give him plenty of time to build confidence, even if he's not playing. 
Coming in to play a few games in Jan, Feb with the contract up at the end of the season must be horrible pressure, and every single goal is scrutinised with the first question being was it the keepers fault.

Guest LondonOwl313
16 minutes ago, BowOwl said:

Dawson is very much the next Palmer.

Youth player, deemed not quite up to standard very early on.

Palmer is now very much earning his stripes and cost us 0. 
Absolutely renew, with a good long contract to give him plenty of time to build confidence, even if he's not playing. 
Coming in to play a few games in Jan, Feb with the contract up at the end of the season must be horrible pressure, and every single goal is scrutinised with the first question being was it the keepers fault.

Think that's probably a decent comparison.. if he progresses he could be a decent championship no.1 in the long run. The problem is, our goal should be to be a mid table premier league team, so neither Dawson or Palmer will be good enough for that. I'd give him a new contract but don't see him being number 1 if the club gets promoted as we hope they will 

He’s always been the better of the 2 of him and Wildsmith for me and argued that consistently 

Based on performances this season he’d be the current number 1 for me

The most important of all out of contract players to renew imo 

It would be a foolish decision not to give Dawson a new contract unless he doesn't want to stay.  The only reason Westwood is first choice is because of his experience & constantly organising his defence. Westwood makes as many mistakes as Dawson, some of which Dawson would get hammered for by some on here.

1 hour ago, outlaw pete said:

Football is a very short life, at 24 years of age he needs to be playing First team football not sat on the subs bench for the next two years, this will not help his personal development so if I were him I would be looking for a move and regular first team football.

I agree with you. A lot will depend on why other clubs want him. If decent Championship clubs want him as a starter I can't see why he would want to stay here, if they want him as a No 2, I can't see why he'd go.

I'd keep Dawson

But I'd let all the other out of contract players go

Players like Fletcher must be on a very decent deal

We need to take this opportunity to get shut of all the dead wood on massive wages and bring some quality freebies and loans in

Huddersfield got up from this division with freebies and loans

The pigs had one of the lowest wage budgets in this division last year

For too long we've been a retirement home for aging has beens

We need young hungry players like Iorfa

Speaking of which we need to be tying him up on a longer deal

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.