Dawson - New Contract or Sell?

Homegrown goalkeeper Cameron Dawson is attracting the interest of a number of Championship clubs, The Star understands.

By Dom Howson. Derby County, Blackburn Rovers and Preston North End are believed to be closely monitoring Dawson's situation ahead of the transfer window reopening in January.

The 24-year-old, who has come through the ranks at Hillsborough, is also thought to be on the radar of Scottish giants Rangers.

Dawson's present contract runs out at the end of the season and it remains to be seen whether he will be offered a new deal.

Unless he wants out, you have to renew i'd have thought.

Alternative is to buy someone of a similar ability which is just daft if you have a settled bloke in the place ready for the odd game Westwood won't be available when he doesn't fancy it  gets injured in the warm up.

• Haha 1

I'd renew it. 

He's a decent backup at the moment and, given time, may well develop into a very good goalkeeper. 

Has all the fundamentals to do that, if people are willing to give him a bit of patience. 

Only 24, so still quite young for a keeper. 

Lets hope we don't do the usual policy of waiting till the end of the season to renew out of contract players.

The other players also out of contract in June 2020 include Fox, Forestieri, Rhodes, Fletcher, Winnall, Nuihu, Pelupessy, Hutchinson, Lee, Dawson, Baker and the loan signings. So basically every senior striker we have at the club is out of contract this June, and 3 of the 5 central midfielders we have.

I would be talking with Dawson, Fox, Forestieri, Fletcher, Hutchinson about new deals now. When you think of their importance to the first team I am very surprise we have once again got to this point with key first team players having less than 9 months left on their contracts..

Winnall, Rhodes, Nuihu, Pelupessy, Baker I would be looking to move out on loan or full transfer in January. Atty though like by many simple does not score enough goals consistently to warrant us keeping him we need better options. Lee needs to prove his fitness after 2 years of injuries before offer him a longer deal.

16 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Lets hope we don't do the usual policy of waiting till the end of the season to renew out of contract players.

The other players also out of contract in June 2020 include Fox, Forestieri, Rhodes, Fletcher, Winnall, Nuihu, Pelupessy, Hutchinson, Lee, Dawson, Baker and the loan signings. So basically every senior striker we have at the club is out of contract this June, and 3 of the 5 central midfielders we have.

I would be talking with Dawson, Fox, Forestieri, Fletcher, Hutchinson about new deals now. When you think of their importance to the first team I am very surprise we have once again got to this point with key first team players having less than 9 months left on their contracts..

Winnall, Rhodes, Nuihu, Pelupessy, Baker I would be looking to move out on loan or full transfer in January. Atty though like by many simple does not score enough goals consistently to warrant us keeping him we need better options. Lee needs to prove his fitness after 2 years of injuries before offer him a longer deal.

Agree with this. Should be tying them down now. Myself id be looking at Dawson Forestieri and Hutchinson.

Like many others who's contracts expire in June and we want to keep, we need to have secured new deals with them by January to ensure we can sell in the January if they don't want to stay, or risk losing them for nowt at the end of the season.

I imagine their agents will be releasing 'interest' stories through the press over the next month or so - it's part of the negotiations.

Offer a renewed contract. Looked to be a better prospect than Wildsmith anyway prior to the latter's injury. Still has his weak points but at age 24 he ought to continue to improve and be an increased presence in his goal area. Given the length of MacGregor's new contract at Rangers, I suspect that being back-up to Kieran will bring him more game time. Interesting to know what fee others may be offering though, given our financial situation and inabilty to get rid of surplus forwards.