on to parking now

Guest The Claw

No and Yes.

The whole question of parking cars on pavements is a much discussed problem.and I'm very much against it where normal size pavements exist. I walkj with two sticks, and like my compatriots who are disabled and/or blind find the idea of car owners taking up pavements and hindering our progress rather abhorrent.

However, there is a definite campaign afoot to prevent parking on pavements nationally (it is already illegal n Scotland) and it appears that Sheffield is part of this. BUT where do they pick to start the campaign? The obvious place is Hillsborough. They've already put various IMO silly bans in place. What better , in their opinion, to start at. Let's try Hillsborough. 

I honestly believe that a compromise could be reached, but it would have to be give and take.

The problem is not just one of SW's making, but is national. As an ex-car driver, who has travelled abroad, I honestly believe that we are a  nation of terrible parkers anyway

• Thanks 1

Councillor dismisses rumours about SWFC

A senior councillor has quashed rumours that Sheffield Wednesday FC will be forced from its Hillsborough home following new parking and traffic restrictions.

Tuesday, 5th November 2019, 2:43 pm
Updated28 minutes ago

Sheffield Wednesday FC

Sheffield Wednesday FC

Local residents and traders were angry after the council said it wanted to introduce no parking and road closures for match days. 

A confusing traffic regulation order was sent out just days after Supertram announced it would be postponing services during the Owls’ recent match against Leeds.

The traffic and parking changes, coupled with Supertram suspending services, led to fears the club would end up leaving Hillsborough.

But Coun Bob Johnson, cabinet member for transport, has categorically denied this and says the traffic order is not as drastic as residents and traders initially feared.

You have 4 free articles remaining this week

“There is no interest in moving Sheffield Wednesday and as a council, this would not be anything we would be promoting,” he said.

Coun Johnson, who is a Hillsborough councillor, said he understood why people were upset when the traffic order was first issued.

“There was a misunderstanding about the timings of the road closures and it was poorly worded. People could be forgiven for thinking the road closures were for a full 12 hours but what was actually proposed was a window of closures, for a short period, to cover either afternoon or evening matches.

“At no point did we ever intend for 12-hour closures. The traffic order will just formalise what is currently in place with a few exceptions.”

The order means the council can take over enforcement from police. Penistone Road will remain closed for an hour before and after the match, as will the top half of Leppings Lane by the ground. 

Residents living off Leppings Lane will be given stickers to show stewards so they can drive to their homes easily.

There will be no parking on the triangle of roads where Herries Road and Herries Road South meets Penistone Road, and Rawson Spring Road.

One of the biggest changes will be new restrictions on Catch Bar Lane and Parkside Road which will stop cars from parking on the pavement. These will be permanent, not just on match days.

Consultation on the traffic regulation order ends on Thursday, November 7

4 hours ago, The Claw said:

A quote from this article :-      "Such parking has prompted complaints, particularly from cyclists, for a long time.

From cyclists FFS. Souldn't these tw@s be on the road not the pavement.WTF:

• Like 2

Every body should screenshot this part.

"The traffic regulation order means the council can take over enforcement from police. Coun Bob Johnson, cabinet member for transport, said it was a common sense decision."

Let me tell you this Bob Johnson...

When i contact you about parking, it could be in any area around Sheffield, but especially around some places in the Beautiful Downtown City Centre, you had better act and act quickly.

If you or any of your cohorts try and fob me off, i will be taking this to another level, a level which you don't think exists.

I gather as a private sector landlord, your private letting is not in Hillsborough, In fact i believe there are 15 Councilors, that are Private Sector Landlords, let's see what happens when everything is highlighted around these properties.

And just to set the record straight (as far as i know, from a resident)...

It now seems a very silly thing, to agree to let your mates build on the bottom of Wadsley Park Village, when every householder objected and told you that one of the reasons was traffic and parking.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

No and Yes.

The whole question of parking cars on pavements is a much discussed problem.and I'm very much against it where normal size pavements exist. I walkj with two sticks, and like my compatriots who are disabled and/or blind find the idea of car owners taking up pavements and hindering our progress rather abhorrent.

However, there is a definite campaign afoot to prevent parking on pavements nationally (it is already illegal n Scotland) and it appears that Sheffield is part of this. BUT where do they pick to start the campaign? The obvious place is Hillsborough. They've already put various IMO silly bans in place. What better , in their opinion, to start at. Let's try Hillsborough. 

I honestly believe that a compromise could be reached, but it would have to be give and take.

The problem is not just one of SW's making, but is national. As an ex-car driver, who has travelled abroad, I honestly believe that we are a  nation of terrible parkers anyway

I like most people do not want to hinder people with disabilities.

But we all have to live together.

Surely common sense would say try to avoid travelling around Hillsborough or indeed any other football ground for around 4 hours on matchday unless of course your going to the  match.