Mindset, confidence & consistency

I've supported the Owls for more than 60 years and it seems to me that its now in our DNA to find ways of loosing from winning positions, it started in 1966 FA cup final and seems to have been the case ever since ( with exception of the league cup final). I can't remember when we last came from behind and won a game, but this season alone we have conceded goals in the last few minutes of games and dropped enough points to have put us much higher in the league. A two nil lead at half time never gives me certainty that we will win a game.

The only periods in my lifetime when we have had a team with real belief, have been when we have had managers who are able to transmit confidence, nouce and belief into the team i.e. Big Jack Charlton, Howard Wilkinson and Big Ron (may also be CC for a time).

I think that the current squad is good enough for the top six but  could do better than that if they had more confidence in themselves to play out games with more nouce and had a real will to win / not getting beat, were more ruthless and looked, for example, for easy fowls, throw ins etc to disrupt the flow of the game in order to close out games - like every other team in this league seems to do. 

41 minutes ago, robintrower said:

Don't think it's so much a lack of confidence. More like 80% of the squad not being good enough for the Premier League and having to give up their cushy and overpaid lifestyles

That's certainly a part of it Robin. If we did make the premiership, most of them wouldn't me good enough. So you have a point with that. But I do think that confidence is playing a massive part, as I think we look nervous and panickedon the ball a lot of the time.

42 minutes ago, s.kirkbyowl said:

I've supported the Owls for more than 60 years and it seems to me that its now in our DNA to find ways of loosing from winning positions, it started in 1966 FA cup final and seems to have been the case ever since ( with exception of the league cup final). I can't remember when we last came from behind and won a game, but this season alone we have conceded goals in the last few minutes of games and dropped enough points to have put us much higher in the league. A two nil lead at half time never gives me certainty that we will win a game.

The only periods in my lifetime when we have had a team with real belief, have been when we have had managers who are able to transmit confidence, nouce and belief into the team i.e. Big Jack Charlton, Howard Wilkinson and Big Ron (may also be CC for a time).

I think that the current squad is good enough for the top six but  could do better than that if they had more confidence in themselves to play out games with more nouce and had a real will to win / not getting beat, were more ruthless and looked, for example, for easy fowls, throw ins etc to disrupt the flow of the game in order to close out games - like every other team in this league seems to do. 

It's why I mentioned our mindset. Like you, the only period we have that steel and a strong mindset was in the Wilko and Big Ron days, plus the Francis era. This squad just doesn't have a tough mindset or confidence and we seem to just get over the line with regards to getting a win. To get promotion, you need good players, the right formation and tactics that suit those players and a tough mindset and confidence. Game management is also really important.