Time to go back to 4-4-2

Guest LondonOwl313

1 hour ago, Westfield Owl said:

What has Rhodes goal-scoring pedigree been like for the last 4 years?

I agree that the likes of Nuhiu will never be prolific.  But since Rhodes signed for SWFC, who has the better minutes-to-goal ratio - Nuhiu or Rhodes?  I’ll give you a clue, it’s not Rhodes.  Rhodes should be a last-resort back-up option IMO.  He’s had so many chances here and failed.

I agree that FF is better playing wide.  But I’d still rather have Forestieri playing up front than Rhodes.  Likewise Murphy or Harris could also bring some much-needed pace and trickery to the forward-line if they linked up with Fletcher.  Like in previous years where we have played Antonio or JJ in the false 9 role.

My point is that we do have plenty of decent options actually.  To say otherwise is a bit of a cop-out really.  It’s up to the manager to get the best out of our squad by picking the best blend of player’s skills; which like you’ve said, isn’t by playing the ultra negative tactics like Monk did yesterday.

Why do you want FF playing in a front two?

I assume you want 442 because we would score more than in a 433?

I get that of course, but FF is absolutely not the answer. With him playing in a front two over the last four seasons the team has scored at less than a goal per game. Think about that...it weakens our midfield/defensive strength AND ACTUALLY MAKES US LESS POTENT. No sense at all in that.

He is a superb wide forward. Would you play Knockaert or Bowen as a CF? Would be lunacy. But you’d have them wide week in week out. Same with FF. Monk needs to get thru to him that if he wants to play regularly he needs to get it into his head that he’s a wide attacker. He could be player of the season out there, or a bit-part player as a CF.

I really enjoyed reading the posts on her with some great arguments made.

I think that with Hutchinson sitting so deep and with Bannan also at times far back we so need to have Luongo in a midfield three.

However Reach, Fletcher and Harris will not produce enough goals.

It is tough but at the moment I think we need to get Fernando firing and play him with Fletcher and Harris.

1 hour ago, Owls Loyal said:

I really enjoyed reading the posts on her with some great arguments made.

I think that with Hutchinson sitting so deep and with Bannan also at times far back we so need to have Luongo in a midfield three.

However Reach, Fletcher and Harris will not produce enough goals.

It is tough but at the moment I think we need to get Fernando firing and play him with Fletcher and Harris.

The key to us taking that next step, is introducing more goals into the side. 

As it stands, with a front three of Reach, Harris and Fletcher...that isn't going to be achieved. And that's why Monk's selection on Saturday was so disappointing, with that front three and such a defensive minded midfield trio. 

The harsh reality is, up until January, our hopes of correcting that, is down to one man. Fernando Forestieri. He's the only current member of the squad, who could provide those goals, whilst still maintaining a 4-3-3. 

Either that, or adopting the 4-4-2 more often.

A goal threat from wide has to be the priority in January. 

Edited by frastheowl

20 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

This isn’t going to be popular on here because lots of people don’t like 4-4-2 but it’s clear to me we aren’t going to get enough goals playing 1 up. Teams that play with one up like Liverpool or Man City have 3-4 other players in the wide positions and midfield who are a constant goal threat.. we just don’t have those players.

Just think that our luck will run out playing for 1-0s all the time, so it’s clear we aren’t going up this year playing like that. We need to play in a much more aggressive way going forward.

That means we probably need Fletcher, FF, Harris, Bannan, Luongo and one of Rhodes/Winnall on the pitch. It’s the only way we’re going to score goals.

I’d give this team a go:

Westwood

Odubajo Iorfa Borner Fox

Harris Luongo Bannan FF

Rhodes Fletcher

Pretty sure that team would get more goals than the current one. I know Rhodes has been cr*p, he’s obviously lacking confidence after being poor for 2-3 years but you never know if he could put a goal scoring run together if he got off to a good start with service. I can’t remember him getting much game time alongside Fletcher in a team that gets the ball into the box. Let’s be honest, nobody else is going to get us 15-20 a season

Just think that we need to try something different. We won’t go down either way and if it doesn’t work then it’s clear out time at the end of the season anyway

442 YES

Your team no Hutchinson has to play in CM and no way should Rhodes play again.

Time to mix it up and give a couple a well needed rest or kick up the back side to rediscover form

westy 

iorfa/Palmer  Hutch/iorfa    Borner    Fox

Murphy      Luongo/hutch    Bannan    FF

Winnall           Rhodes 

On 03/11/2019 at 15:07, LondonOwl313 said:

This isn’t going to be popular on here because lots of people don’t like 4-4-2 but it’s clear to me we aren’t going to get enough goals playing 1 up. Teams that play with one up like Liverpool or Man City have 3-4 other players in the wide positions and midfield who are a constant goal threat.. we just don’t have those players.

Just think that our luck will run out playing for 1-0s all the time, so it’s clear we aren’t going up this year playing like that. We need to play in a much more aggressive way going forward.

That means we probably need Fletcher, FF, Harris, Bannan, Luongo and one of Rhodes/Winnall on the pitch. It’s the only way we’re going to score goals.

I’d give this team a go:

Westwood

Odubajo Iorfa Borner Fox

Harris Luongo Bannan FF

Rhodes Fletcher

Pretty sure that team would get more goals than the current one. I know Rhodes has been cr*p, he’s obviously lacking confidence after being poor for 2-3 years but you never know if he could put a goal scoring run together if he got off to a good start with service. I can’t remember him getting much game time alongside Fletcher in a team that gets the ball into the box. Let’s be honest, nobody else is going to get us 15-20 a season

Just think that we need to try something different. We won’t go down either way and if it doesn’t work then it’s clear out time at the end of the season anyway

We'd score more, but concede more too. Defensively, that midfield looks weak.