Training tips for Monday

15 minutes ago, torres said:

Anyone can mess one corner up, 2 mess ups you’d have a word, 3 bad ones and you’d know something was a miss - we had 9 ..... NINE bad ones before we swapped the taker!!!

How can that even be allowed to happen 

it really was embarrassing. Pessy was nothing short of pathetic. Not sure who’s decision it was but how the hell was he allowed to take so many!?!

To be brutally honest we tend to always be useless at set peices. After the Sheridan, waddle days we were terrible. 

I think best we've been at converting chances from set peices was under megson and then Jones when we had llera, reda and gardener for a bit.

We were OK under Carlos, but still below the level of making the most of them. 

It does seem the managers we've had in since Jones haven't really used set peices to their potential, which can be match winning. 

Look at Stoke with Shottons long throw! 

Bolton under Sam were masters at them. 

• Like 1

Guest Bulgaria
10 hours ago, Andrew_Owl said:

Can't have as many corners as we did and not make them count.

Its the not even anywhere close to making them count thats annoying.

Dont think Bannans that good with set pieces either . It's the kind of thing that coaches should spend some time in coaching players the actual skill involved . Players should never stop learning and developing their skills .

[oh for the days of Big Ron and a little bit of spontaneity , creativity and inventiveness at such times .]

Jp - how to kick a ball generally, then specifically like kicking it in a straight line or getting it off the floor, theres amateurs on youtube to help too!

Reach - dribble with right slowly, quick right clockwise stepover, nudge on outside of left to make half a yard, whip it in with left waddle style

Harris - opposite to reach but he can also go byline

Palmer/less so fox - crossing on overlap

I've got a tip and it pains me to say it but I'm going to.  Watch United against Burnley.  Read Dyches comments afterwards about United wanting it more, pressing, on the front foot, attacking etc.  Last season I wouldn't have swapped any of our squad for theirs yet players like Lundstrom and Fleck who were in the third division 3 years ago are shining in the PL.  Their players are coached to do their job for 90 minutes and told they're better than they are and through sheer force of will and team spirit they're in the top half. 

Our players don't lack talent and I bet most are on more money than theirs but we lack the strength of mentality and will to get that bit extra out of games. Fitness has, for the most part been addressed, but we could easily be top now.

As for corners it's ludicrously simple, you cannot aim to hit a particular player, just beat the first man and put the ball just outside the six yard box for our players to attack it. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, stanningtonowl said:

Try practicing corners, free kicks and quick throw ins to a Wednesday player. 

I can’t believe that professional players, having played the game for years can’t beat the first man or even keep it on the pitch in Joey’s case. 

Shocking. 

Stop Joey PeluPotter taking corners & try t’get our players in the right mindset when seeing a game out when in front...:mad:

Spend an hour with Westwood taking goal kicks that stay on the pitch.

Spend another hour teaching him how to take a goal or free kick within 20 seconds,

rather than wandering around his area waving his arms in the air and screaming like a banshee.

Finally, spend another hour encouraging him to throw the ball quickly back in play

keeping the opposition defenders under pressure and the team playing a high pressure game.

20 hours ago, stanningtonowl said:

Try practicing corners, free kicks and quick throw ins to a Wednesday player. 

I can’t believe that professional players, having played the game for years can’t beat the first man or even keep it on the pitch in Joey’s case. 

Shocking. 

Never mind TRAINING TIPS FOR MONDAY - they should have been at it today ! You can't have that many opportunities to get the ball into the danger area and never create anything, and expect to win. 

Let Harris have a pop when free kicks are in shooting range, he looks half decent.

We give away daft free kicks in our own half..... stop it.

Use free kicks taken by opposition teams against us as examples of how to score from set pieces. They manage to score, we don't.

• Like 1