Playing a risky game

We are playing a risky game with all these cautious lineups and trying to knick a win.

Mistakes and unlucky breaks can always happen despite our solidity. We needed to put a poor side like Blackburn to bed, and not start with 2 holding mids.

Hopefully might lead to a slight change of approach from the start. FF needs to start a game.

1 minute ago, swfc-dan said:

We are playing a risky game with all these cautious lineups and trying to knick a win.

Mistakes and unlucky breaks can always happen despite our solidity. We needed to put a poor side like Blackburn to bed, and not start with 2 holding mids.

Hopefully might lead to a slight change of approach from the start. FF needs to start a game.

Odd games can be ignored; its when a pattern develops.

I think Monk is having to play what he's got - whether the available squad or dealing with injuries. The set up and style isn't attractive, but like CC's 2nd season it might prove effective.

The problem with boring football is it magnifies the odd defeat.

11 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

To be fair if fit Bannan and Luongo would have started which for me would have made a big difference and given us a win. 

I posted a couple of weeks ago that Monk was a very pragmatic, counter-attacking manager and here you see a perfect example of where that doesn’t work. 

When we have more than 50% possession you know we’re in trouble. We just don’t set up to dominate teams. We set up to contain them and have spells of pressing and pressure.

Thought Monk should have changed it at half time. 

Forestieri and Odubajo should have replaced Pelupessy and Palmer at HT IMO

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, debram said:

To be fair if fit Bannan and Luongo would have started which for me would have made a big difference and given us a win. 

True both are important misses. Thought Luongo was meant to be fit by now?

Lee should've come in for Pessy. And then either FF or Nuhiu behind Fletch. Its frustrating us never going for it to take the lead 1st half. Would be much happier if we did that then sat back after and you could bring Pessy on.

6 hours ago, swfc-dan said:

It's Monk's approach. Get used to it or set your alarm for when he leaves (with our without laptop garymegson)

6 hours ago, swfc-dan said:

FF needs to start the next 8 or so. Give him a run in the team in the number 10 role. If he performs then he’s brilliant if he doesn’t he’s had his chance.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, McRightSide said:

I posted a couple of weeks ago that Monk was a very pragmatic, counter-attacking manager and here you see a perfect example of where that doesn’t work. 

When we have more than 50% possession you know we’re in trouble. We just don’t set up to dominate teams. We set up to contain them and have spells of pressing and pressure.

Thought Monk should have changed it at half time. 

Forestieri and Odubajo should have replaced Pelupessy and Palmer at HT IMO

Palmer has had z4 bad games in a row Odubajo has to start next week 

Playing a defensive style is all well and good when you are picking up the points. 

It has to be said though that people's patience wears thin quickly when the results start going south, more so than when you are trying to play an attractive brand of football. 

5 hours ago, swfc-dan said:

True both are important misses. Thought Luongo was meant to be fit by now?

Lee should've come in for Pessy. And then either FF or Nuhiu behind Fletch. Its frustrating us never going for it to take the lead 1st half. Would be much happier if we did that then sat back after and you could bring Pessy on.

But Lee started, who do you want to see play in place of Pelupessy in a 433?  Are you suggesting we should have gone 442 with Forestieri up top in a position he can’t play?  As for Nuihu, a squad member at best for me and should not be starting.

1 hour ago, Steve Down South said:

But Lee started, who do you want to see play in place of Pelupessy in a 433?  Are you suggesting we should have gone 442 with Forestieri up top in a position he can’t play?  As for Nuihu, a squad member at best for me and should not be starting.

Yet he started last week and was arguably One of the best players in the pitch 

To be  fair we better second half and crap first half under Carlos. 

Under jos we'd be good first half and terrible second, Steve Bruce began to gain a little balance to be fair

.. We just don't seem to be able for some reason or other to compete, or sustain momentum for 90mins a game. Under monk were pretty solid defencivly, but struggle to find that killer second to give us breathing space. Need to start scoring more than one goal and killing teams off. Today's a good example as I don't think we'd have conceded those two late, late goals if we'd have been 0-2 up and cruising. 

14 hours ago, Plonk said:

That’s what monk does. Get used to it. Me? I’m bored shitless watching this. Really don’t know why I keep turning up. Even when we scored it didn’t feel right the way we played

Did you feel the same after the Borough game? Or last week against Leeds?