Jump to content

Recommended Posts

We are naive and give the opposition too many opportunities to go to ground where there is minimal if any contact.

 

In the modern game too many players and even teams will take advantage of this , go to ground and the referee will fall for it. 

In our league Preston are the worst at this. QPR not far behind, especially their left back, Manning who falls down if the wind blows if it suits him.

 

The first penalty at Preston was a classic example. Obubajo was the wrong side and there was contact.

Their player collapsed in a heap , when he could have easily stayed on his feet, and the referee couldn’t wait to blow.


If the position had been reversed any of our forwards would have stayed on their feet to try and score. 
 

Knowing when to fall down easily and buy a foul has become a key part of the game especially in this league where too many refs are not up to it. 
We are very poor at it.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

 

9 out of 10 fouls given against Fletcher should usually have gone the other way.

And the same goes for Nuhiu. He's constantly fouled yet gets absolutely nothing. Refs seem to think because he's big and appears clumsy it must be him fouling. Occasionally it is but most of the time it's not. I don't know how he stops himself having a go at the ref, I'm outraged for him. As for Fletcher, centrehalves climb all over him for 75 minutes and the second he does it he gets a booking. 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Owl 44 said:

Just seen on twitter that we have 2 of the top 5 players who commit the most fouls in the Championship - Fletcher with 33 and Hutch with 32. Expect it of Hutchinson although quite a few of his this season have been unjust and were actually good tackles. But Fletcher?

 

We are regularly the team with the highest foul counts in matches. I like us to be competitive and I know Monk has said he doesn't mind bookings etc if they are for competitiveness. We are currently next to bottom in the fair play league, with only Barnsley below us. 

 

I wouldn't say we're a particularly dirty team but we do seem to give away quite a lot of soft free kicks in dangerous areas, some of which have proved costly. The worst offenders for those soft ones seem to be Palmer and Nuhiu. This is in contrast to the full blooded tackles of Hutch. 

 

Not sure if it's something they need to be concerned about. Like I say it's good to be competitive but we need to cut out those soft ones. 

There's a new law in football that you may have overlooked. 

 

New Law

If whilst playing for a Sheffield Wednesday team, a player makes contact with the ball or an opponent, a free kick shall be awarded.

Edited by mark1948
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

 

9 out of 10 fouls given against Fletcher should usually have gone the other way.


Fletcher gives a lot of fouls away by allowing defenders to climb on his back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/10/2019 at 19:11, Owl 44 said:

Just seen on twitter that we have 2 of the top 5 players who commit the most fouls in the Championship - Fletcher with 33 and Hutch with 32. Expect it of Hutchinson although quite a few of his this season have been unjust and were actually good tackles. But Fletcher?

 

We are regularly the team with the highest foul counts in matches. I like us to be competitive and I know Monk has said he doesn't mind bookings etc if they are for competitiveness. We are currently next to bottom in the fair play league, with only Barnsley below us. 

 

I wouldn't say we're a particularly dirty team but we do seem to give away quite a lot of soft free kicks in dangerous areas, some of which have proved costly. The worst offenders for those soft ones seem to be Palmer and Nuhiu. This is in contrast to the full blooded tackles of Hutch. 

 

Not sure if it's something they need to be concerned about. Like I say it's good to be competitive but we need to cut out those soft ones. 

Hopefully we're learning good game management, take a card to stop play and allow us to regain formation and get our shape back when cought our. I'm not saying it's sportsmanly, but the successful sides do it and we've been too nieve for years. 

As for Fletch if he's playing lone target man he has to put himself about and battle with cb's so it's expected for him to be combative and get booked every now and then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t forget Borner & Pelupessy, both dirty players as well. Tackling Tomlin & Nketiahs elbows with their heads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/10/2019 at 19:41, Suzuki_San said:

Fletcher won't give away fouls in dangerous areas though, will he?  Generally, his defending from set pieces against us is faultless, it'll be over zealous referees penalising him for his strength against cute centre halves going down like a sack of potato's.  Christ, if Nuhiu was on the pitch more, it'd be even worse!  He never gets any free kicks and the ones he gives away are pretty ridiculous and mostly only given because of his height.  

 

I'm surprised Bannan isn't on the list, out of everyone recently, he's given away the most stinkers.  Poor areas, rash challenges, with little thought.  

Correct about Bannan. Fletcher's fouls tend to be in midfield where can lead to lofted balls into box so damaging as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Tom22709 said:


Fletcher gives a lot of fouls away by allowing defenders to climb on his back

It's the fouls in midfield I'd worry about

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...