Giving fouls away

Just seen on twitter that we have 2 of the top 5 players who commit the most fouls in the Championship - Fletcher with 33 and Hutch with 32. Expect it of Hutchinson although quite a few of his this season have been unjust and were actually good tackles. But Fletcher?

We are regularly the team with the highest foul counts in matches. I like us to be competitive and I know Monk has said he doesn't mind bookings etc if they are for competitiveness. We are currently next to bottom in the fair play league, with only Barnsley below us. 

I wouldn't say we're a particularly dirty team but we do seem to give away quite a lot of soft free kicks in dangerous areas, some of which have proved costly. The worst offenders for those soft ones seem to be Palmer and Nuhiu. This is in contrast to the full blooded tackles of Hutch. 

Not sure if it's something they need to be concerned about. Like I say it's good to be competitive but we need to cut out those soft ones. 

Fletcher won't give away fouls in dangerous areas though, will he?  Generally, his defending from set pieces against us is faultless, it'll be over zealous referees penalising him for his strength against cute centre halves going down like a sack of potato's.  Christ, if Nuhiu was on the pitch more, it'd be even worse!  He never gets any free kicks and the ones he gives away are pretty ridiculous and mostly only given because of his height.  

I'm surprised Bannan isn't on the list, out of everyone recently, he's given away the most stinkers.  Poor areas, rash challenges, with little thought.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Suzuki_San said:

Fletcher won't give away fouls in dangerous areas though, will he?  Generally, his defending from set pieces against us is faultless, it'll be over zealous referees penalising him for his strength against cute centre halves going down like a sack of potato's.  Christ, if Nuhiu was on the pitch more, it'd be even worse!  He never gets any free kicks and the ones he gives away are pretty ridiculous and mostly only given because of his height.  

I'm surprised Bannan isn't on the list, out of everyone recently, he's given away the most stinkers.  Poor areas, rash challenges, with little thought.  

He probably is. Just not in the top 5.

Fletcher is up against centre halves who want to show who's boss, he has to resist that and occasionally  that leads to fouls against him. I don't think he can be classified as a dirty player in any way at all.

Nuhiu is ungainly and a handful. Defenders foul him all the time but the fouls are given against him. I think defenders fall over as if fouled at the slightest contact because they just can't handle the big guy. He must be a nightmare to defend against because you never know what he's going to do next. If Nuhiu doesn't know there's no way the defender can. I don't see Atdhe as a dirty player.

I don't actually hink we have a dirty player. Hutch is a bit reckless but not actually nasty, I don't think he goes in to foul but he's somethimes a bit 'over enthusiastic'.

What I don't like is teams that are always in the refs face or ones that go down like they are shot whenever a player goes near them. That to me is 'dirty' in the sense it's unsportsmanlike.

• Like 1

If you take a lead and only have a one goal margin like we do quite regularly it’s natural other teams will put more pressure on us and we will give more fouls away in defending the lead 

I’d prefer our league position over a lower foul conceded stat 

I get your point though the key for me is get the second goal or two goal margin and try and knock the duck out of the opposition 

Our strikers are in a no win situation to be honest.

Tell me, you have seen the amount of times the free kick has been given against them when in reality they were fouled, right?

I know i'm biased, but I don't even shout and ball now when I see it because it's all too familiar.   Our forwards get very little quarter given by refs when it comes to tussles, 50/50's and even down right fouls against them that are given the opponents direction, just because they are big, awkward, skillful or strong

I’ve never seen so many opponent’s players go to ground after the slightest contact, as I have witnessed this season. Frustratingly, the officials fail to realize this and we get penalized, and it raises the chances of them dishing out yellow cards to us.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Suzuki_San said:

100 percent Bannan is worse than Sam at the daft foul game !!

5 hours ago, Owl 44 said:

Just seen on twitter that we have 2 of the top 5 players who commit the most fouls in the Championship - Fletcher with 33 and Hutch with 32. Expect it of Hutchinson although quite a few of his this season have been unjust and were actually good tackles. But Fletcher?

We are regularly the team with the highest foul counts in matches. I like us to be competitive and I know Monk has said he doesn't mind bookings etc if they are for competitiveness. We are currently next to bottom in the fair play league, with only Barnsley below us. 

I wouldn't say we're a particularly dirty team but we do seem to give away quite a lot of soft free kicks in dangerous areas, some of which have proved costly. The worst offenders for those soft ones seem to be Palmer and Nuhiu. This is in contrast to the full blooded tackles of Hutch. 

Not sure if it's something they need to be concerned about. Like I say it's good to be competitive but we need to cut out those soft ones. 

maybe it’s because we are fitter - pressing from the front-  and therefore making more tackles - which increases the likelihood, that more fouls are taking place. 

without the tackle to fouls ratio it’s difficult to make any conclusions

Edited by AwokenGiant

11 hours ago, Owl 44 said:

but we need to cut out those soft ones. 

Why?

It could be the result of the way they have been applying themselves defensively. 

Not giving them away might have resulted in a good shooting chance or goal anyway. 

Changing it might ruin our approach to matches and progress...

It might be due to low possession and being very direct lately, the more opps have the ball the more likely we will commit fouls.

Given how we generally conceed possession it suggests even more credit should be given to our defence and workrate in keeping goals out.

Question is whether we will score enough by solely going long and relying on flick ons/defensive errors etc.

Its probably best used in certain games (like boros weak aerial defence) and at certain times, but wouldnt hurt to have more than 1 approach, including a switch to a proper 433 in the last 30mins (not 5) with ff on left, gives defences a whole new problem imo

A pacy striker would likely push defences back too

15 hours ago, Owl 44 said:

In todays football it is not difficult to get a booking, you only have to tread on some ones shadow and they fall down holding their head.

Don't get me onto penalties, last week one was given for the slightest of touches, accidently, it is only a matter of time before football becomes a non contact 'Sport'.

We are naive and give the opposition too many opportunities to go to ground where there is minimal if any contact.

In the modern game too many players and even teams will take advantage of this , go to ground and the referee will fall for it. 

In our league Preston are the worst at this. QPR not far behind, especially their left back, Manning who falls down if the wind blows if it suits him.

The first penalty at Preston was a classic example. Obubajo was the wrong side and there was contact.

Their player collapsed in a heap , when he could have easily stayed on his feet, and the referee couldn’t wait to blow.

If the position had been reversed any of our forwards would have stayed on their feet to try and score. 

Knowing when to fall down easily and buy a foul has become a key part of the game especially in this league where too many refs are not up to it. 
We are very poor at it.