Wednesday or Rugby?

1 hour ago, East Yorks Owl said:

I don’t believe Ben Stokes went to public school, but I reckon most of the rest did. It’s not a criticism by the way, just a reflection that public schools coach cricket where as state schools hardly play it at all. I played village cricket for around 15 years and you could spot the lads who’d been to public school straight away as their techniques were so good.

It's true that.

My lad was in the Lancashire cricket set up from u11 through to U17 and the "main" county junior team was all made

up from lads at private schools. Bolton school, QEGS, Manchester Grammar, Kirkham, Merchant taylors etc.

The "development team" so the 2nd string were nearly all mainstream schools.

No coincidence.

14 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

It's true that.

My lad was in the Lancashire cricket set up from u11 through to U17 and the "main" county junior team was all made

up from lads at private schools. Bolton school, QEGS, Manchester Grammar, Kirkham, Merchant taylors etc.

The "development team" so the 2nd string were nearly all mainstream schools.

No coincidence.

some years ago I looked at the yorkshire set up (at the time only yorkshire born players we eligible), the bulk came from north yorkshire, whilst the better platers who'd forced themselves into the side over the years, were from the south of the county, no bias there then.

2 hours ago, East Yorks Owl said:

In fairness last weekend was so good for us English because your boys are usually kicking everyone elses backsides. I have to admit I felt a little sorry for your boys in the cricket as I felt we definitely got the rob of the green. Also Kane Williamson came across as a top bloke. If we’d beaten the Aussies under similar circumstances they’d have been whinging like hell.

they'd have cut off diplomatic relations, if we have any.

cut the top corner off the flag, and removed the queen from head of state.

• Like 1

Guest Manwithastick
13 hours ago, torryowl said:

Drivel . ...which of England's cricket world cup team went to public school......off the top of my head I doubt any of them even went to university   ..

Well, you're miles off.

Eoin Morgan - Catholic University School, Dublin . Private

Josh Buttler - Kings College. Private

Moeen Ali - state educated

Jofra Archer - Christ Church Foundation School, Barbados. Paid students benefit.

Jonny Bairstow - St Peters. Private

Tom Curran - Springvale House. Private

Liam Dawson - state educated

Liam Plunkett - state educated

Adil Rashid - state educated

Joe Root - Worksop College. Private

Jason Roy - Hawthorns & Whitgift. Both private. Whitgift is c40k per year.

Ben Stokes - state educated

James Vince - Warminster. Private

Chris Woakes - state educated

10 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

England all the same and you can’t deny there is a national interest, it’s a popular sport . 

In certain areas, there are also other sports that clash with football. Unfortunately you cant go round canceling one sport for another. 

Ill be brutally honest, i couldnt care less about a rugby final involving England, its not my sport. Same as England netball or Great Britain in ice hockey, I would expect the same reasoning from fans of that sport. 

What about the effect on those that have no interest? 

I wouldnt expect a cricket match to be cancelled for a football world cup final. Id do the sensible thing and pick one to watch. 

Edited by Maddogbob
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Mycroft said:

A win and three points tomorrow or beat South Africa? 

What would you choose? 

Three points for me. 

3 points all day long!

The Egg chasing game will never be the same as football for me. However, I will watch the final as it is World Cup final after all plus never too early for a pint...

14 hours ago, Mystic Neg said:

Things I like about rugby;

Proper refs that don't get abuse from players, take no prisoners and can control a game

Proper men not diving around like they've been shot even when some of the hits they take warrant it. 

Opposing fans who can sit together and have a beer without wanting to kill each other. 

Respect it teaches kids who play the game from a young age. 

Quite honestly, I think England winning a World Cup in one of the country's popular sports would bring a bit of positivity to the country as a whole, while all our politicians are forkin about. 

I'd take a world cup win and one of the games we're bound not to win at some stage of the season coming tomorrow. 

Doesn't mean I don't love Wednesday. As a big fan of both sports, I just think losing one game out of 46 in the season isn't the be all and end all. Losing the rugby World Cup final is at least another 4 year wait, most likely longer.

Accept not everyone will feel the same, evidently. 

Couldn't have summed it up better mate. It's been a great tournament with tough rugby played in a good spirit. Football could learn a great deal from rugby at all levels. I've played both codes and loved it along with playing football and cricket. There are no rules telling you what you can and can't watch or play give it a try!

Watch it in a rugby club if you can tomorrow you will have a great time.

UTO

Not sure why anyone would rather Wednesday lost than England win, I'd never want us to lose.

Love rugby (both codes) cricket, F1 ..... I don't think it's a coincidence that at the top level of most sports there is a level of high education, probably down to facilities, rather than criticise maybe we should expect those same facilities in all schools.

I was back in Sheffield recently and saw that more of my old school (Chaucer) had disappeared, I remember playing rugby where there is now an Asda, we were a decent school side with a few of us playing and training with the eagles, what a shame that doesn't happen anymore.

last weekend was awesome this weekend could be even better Wednesday win, England and Lewis world champions. Also beat NZ this morning in the 20/20 great time to be a sports fan C'mon!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Manwithastick said:

Well, you're miles off.

Eoin Morgan - Catholic University School, Dublin . Private

Josh Buttler - Kings College. Private

Moeen Ali - state educated

Jofra Archer - Christ Church Foundation School, Barbados. Paid students benefit.

Jonny Bairstow - St Peters. Private

Tom Curran - Springvale House. Private

Liam Dawson - state educated

Liam Plunkett - state educated

Adil Rashid - state educated

Joe Root - Worksop College. Private

Jason Roy - Hawthorns & Whitgift. Both private. Whitgift is c40k per year.

Ben Stokes - state educated

James Vince - Warminster. Private

Chris Woakes - state educated

How can I be miles off when it wasn't me who said nearly all the England team were public school educated which clearly isnt the case  ...

Guest Manwithastick
52 minutes ago, torryowl said:

How can I be miles off when it wasn't me who said nearly all the England team were public school educated which clearly isnt the case  ...

17 hours ago, torryowl said:

Drivel . ...which of England's cricket world cup team went to public school......off the top of my head I doubt any of them even went to university   ..

You said the above. 8 of the 14 were educated at fee paying schools. That's more than half (57% actually). Id say that your statement of 'Drivel. ...which of England's

cricket World Cup team went to public school...' is miles off. I'd bet if you look at the test squad it's an even higher percentage. 

Guest Manwithastick

So let's add (test players):

Rory Burns - City of London Freemans and Whitgift. Private

Keaton Jennings - King Edward VII, Jo'berg S.A. Private

Sam Curran - Springvale House, Zimbabwe. Private

Stuart Broad - Oakham. Private

Jack Leach - Richard Huish College (mixed funded/scolarship. Renowned cricket college)

You can tap out any time you like... 

5 minutes ago, Manwithastick said:

So let's add (test players):

Rory Burns - City of London Freemans and Whitgift. Private

Keaton Jennings - King Edward VII, Jo'berg S.A. Private

Sam Curran - Springvale House, Zimbabwe. Private

Stuart Broad - Oakham. Private

Jack Leach - Richard Huish College (mixed funded/scolarship. Renowned cricket college)

You can tap out any time you like... 

I stand by what I posted .. the England cri ket team is not made up of ex public school players ......your research proves that  .

17 hours ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

It’s a World Cup Final that May well be the reason 

There's only one world cup. These chancers should be penalised for even using the phrase. Unless of course you think the world series baseball involves the whole world as well.

I wish England well and will watch the game.

I do find rugby fans and their we are better than football fans attitude irritating.

There will be a lot of people at the England game but it is the world cup ffs.

Look at the attendances for club rugby , compare their elite clubs to ours.

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/other-sport/12-premiership-rugby-clubs-ranked-2334314

That's the reality of how popular Rugby Union is.

Edited by Geedee