Wednesday or Rugby?

Ooooh, I love threads like this where half the posters are competing to appear edgier and more disinterested than each other.

We've started quite well with references to 'egg chasers', 'well nourished public school boys', and suggestions of things we'd rather do than watch England win the World Cup, but the edgy crown is still very much up for grabs here.

Who's going to go all out and put the extra time and effort in to show us all just how little they care about rugby?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Ooooh, I love threads like this where half the posters are competing to appear edgier and more disinterested than each other.

We've started quite well with references to 'egg chasers', 'well nourished public school boys', and suggestions of things we'd rather do than watch England win the World Cup, but the edgy crown is still very much up for grabs here.

Who's going to go all out and put the extra time and effort in to show us all just how little they care about rugby?

"I bloody hate those posh boy egg chasing Eton rifles so much I'd rather south Africa win than Wednesday"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

"I bloody hate those posh boy egg chasing Eton rifles so much I'd rather south Africa win than Wednesday"

Not a bad start, but surely we can do better?

'Rugby? I'd rather stick my Nutella-covered todger in a hornet's nest whilst chewing crushed glass than watch 80 minutes of that.'

• Haha 2

Guest The Horse

There is a 'Other Sports' section where this thread should've gone and received the zero replies it deserves.

I really don't understand what people get out of Rugby.

To me, it's like something you have to force your brain to like despite initial revulsion and your body hating it. Like people who say they like Oysters. Or Kale. Or smoking. Or Barbara Streisand movies. Or my ex-wife.

I just can't believe that the first time someone watched Rugby that they found it exciting and entertaining.

But then again, I am persevering with Red Dead Redemption 2 despite it boring the teats off me so I'm also a massive hypocrite.

So don't listen to my ramblings on this web zone. 

Never understood rugby.

Is the MOTM the guy who can pass the ball sideways to the guy standing next to him or the guy who was born to become 6ft 6 and who’s mother over fed him so he’s the size of a brick wall and normal sized men can’t run past him? 
Maybe it’s the guy who can hoof the ball a long way like Peter Kay in the John Smith advert.  Great entertainment. 

The other men in my office love rugby and think football is silly. One of them said to me the other day that “Rugby is more unpredictable because there’s only really one way to score a goal in football but there’s loads of ways to get points in rugby”.  Never understood rugby followers either 

Obviously when it comes to sport Wednesday are always the priority but i am looking forward to hopefully winning both.

Always enjoy watching the rugby union internationals  (oh dear....does that make me less of a Wednesdayite? )   much better than rugby league IMHO ,  cant explain it really but league fans remind me of unitedites.

3 points at Blackburn and smash the boks in that order please.

I'm guessing most of the 'rugby is shybo' lot haven't watched a game for years.

Football fans can come across really ignorant dismissing all other sports like many tend to. I love football, but rugby can be amazing, as can boxing, cricket, and others. I get the same feelings from some of those as I do from football, even though probably slightly less intensely. I'd be missing out big time if I wasn't invested in them and get all those highs/lows that we get from football from them as well.

Not to be condescending but rugby union does take some getting to grips with, but it really can be outstanding. It's worth the effort. That said, a bad game of union is horrendous, but still, worth it for the good ones. If you really know what's happening it's the highest intensity sport going (maybe behind an on the edge boxing match). Not more nerve wracking than Wednesday on penalties in play-off final obviously...

I'd take the rugby this week. Cricket and Rugby world cup double in a year, that's pretty special.

As for the posh boy stuff, that's pretty outdated. Obviously still is a factor, but much much less so, and most of this England team are from working class backgrounds and 'normal' schools.

Edited by whatevertrevor

41 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Not a bad start, but surely we can do better?

'Rugby? I'd rather stick my Nutella-covered todger in a hornet's nest whilst chewing crushed glass than watch 80 minutes of that.'

We're going to need pictorial evidence with this one pal lol

• Haha 1

I like England to win at anything they're playing but nothing compares to football & the Owls for me,....for me it's not even a choice who wins this weekend.

When I first moved to Oz I was virtually forced into watching rugby league which I can just about stomach, union is way too messy spending too much time on the floor but don't even talk to me about Aussie rules, is it even a game?

Nothing gets into your blood like Wednesday....not even close.

6 minutes ago, whatevertrevor said:

I'm guessing most of the 'rugby is shybo' lot haven't watched a game for years.

Football fans can come across really ignorant dismissing all other sports like many tend to. I love football, but rugby can be amazing, as can boxing, cricket, and others. I get the same feelings from some of those as I do from football, even though probably slightly less intensely. I'd be missing out big time if I wasn't invested in them and get all those highs/lows that we get from football from them as well.

Not to be condescending but rugby union does take some getting to grips with, but it really can be outstanding. It's worth the effort. That said, a bad game of union is horrendous, but still, worth it for the good ones. If you really know what's happening it's the highest intensity sport going (maybe behind an on the edge boxing match). Not more nerve wracking than Wednesday on penalties in play-off final obviously...

I'd take the rugby this week. Cricket and Rugby world cup double in a year, that's pretty special.

As for the posh boy stuff, that's pretty outdated. Obviously still is a factor, but much much less so, and most of this England team or from working class backgrounds and 'normal' schools.

This, football and obviously Wednesday in particular will always be my first and overriding sporting love but i have loads of really special memories from watching other sports.

Winning the rugby world cup, Ali v Frazier fights from my youth , ashes victories and the world cup win this year, Coe v Ovett, the british cyclists and rowers from 2012, McEnroe v Borg , Nadal v Federer, and the Ryder cup every two years, particularly the miracle at Medinah.

Its really weird how some folk see it as a badge of honour to slag off other sports, even to slag you off for watching England,..................yeah there are sports i dont care for ( F1 , rugby league, show jumping etc) but each to their own and watching other sports doesn`t make you any less of a Wednesdayite.

• Like 2

Wow.  There are some stupid people on this site. If England was playing tiddly winks I would support them. The Rugby has been great and I'm just waiting for the Wales All Blacks match, the Blacks will stuff them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob said:

Wow.  There are some stupid people on this site. If England was playing tiddly winks I would support them. The Rugby has been great and I'm just waiting for the Wales All Blacks match, the Blacks will stuff them.

So putting you on the spot Wednesday to lose or rugby to win? One or the other. 

Thats you're only choice.

I opened this thread as a lighted hearted test, when it comes down to it we all have our own preferences.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

So putting you on the spot Wednesday to lose or rugby to win? One or the other. 

Thats you're only choice.

I opened this thread as a lighted hearted test, when it comes down to it we all have our own preferences.  

Rugby fans are getting really touchy in this thread. 

Edited by TheEnchanter
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Bob said:

So you are saying you’d rather the England tiddlywinks team win than Wednesday? My understanding is this thread is about how Sheffield Wednesday is more important than rugby. Not that people don’t support their country