Wednesday or Rugby?

27 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

See my reply to Mycroft.

no ones getting fined for waving the St. George’s flag mate.

id hazard a guess that was written in the express or something 

3 hours ago, OWL1969 said:

I suppose your one of the clowns who say we shouldn't fly the St George's flag during the World Cup (or other sporting events) in case we offend anybody. 

Offensive? Flying your flag, in your own country. Only in England. Snowflakes.

Political correctness gone mad.

Flag flying...snowflake...political correctness gone mad...is it Daily Mail bingo?

17 minutes ago, ka58 said:

no ones getting fined for waving the St. George’s flag mate.

id hazard a guess that was written in the express or something 

Hence my respone highlighting the could. It was a direct response to a question.

I'm sure no one was ever fined for it,  but the fact it was something being mooted by some (Express or elsewhere) is what wee wees me off.

Edited by OWL1969

9 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

Look inwards Mini Farages? Your words.

Need I say more?

Well you probably will...health and safety gone mad...the EU banning conkers..they can’t be too far away in your list of imagined slights to the glory of England and St George.

9 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

Well you probably will...health and safety gone mad...the EU banning conkers..they can’t be too far away in your list of imagined slights to the glory of England and St George.

Yes mate. Spot on

I want England to win at sport. (Guess why I'm English!)

We then get replies from morons like you, calling us Mini Farages.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that sounds to me that your guessing (incorrectly) people's political opinions and maybe even slyly implying people maybe racist or xenophobic.

Just because we want Our Country to win at Sport.

Behave yourself fella.

UTO!

Edited by OWL1969

30 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

Hence my respone highlighting the could. It was a direct response to a question.

I'm sure no one was ever fined for it,  but the fact it was something being mooted by some (Express or elsewhere) is what wee wees me off.

But it’s not people or “snowflakes” stopping you.

its mooted by papers, usually the mail or express to make you angry about something that doesn’t really exist.

in the World Cup final today, the national anthem was sung and the camera constantly panned back to people dressed in st George logos and colours - no one was stopping them.

Edited by ka58

5 minutes ago, ka58 said:

But it’s not people or “snowflakes” stopping you.

its mooted by papers, usually the mail or express to make you angry about something that doesn’t really exist.

in the World Cup final today, the national anthem was sung and the camera constantly panned back to people dressed in st George logos and colours - no one was stopping them.

To be honest mate, you're right, my issue isn't with you or Mycroft.

Just comments like the ones from Kobayashi that rile me.

I should know better at my age, but people inferring stuff because you want your country to win at Sport wee wees me off.

I wouldn't go all full St Georges outfit.

But if someone else does, as you say they're free to, but they should be free to do so without being classed (by some) in a certain bracket.

Edited by OWL1969

On 02/11/2019 at 09:47, thewookieisdown said:

To be honest I think that's rubbish. Except for tag and sevens, rugby is quite a tricky game to pick up. Some of it is counterintuitive, and obviously it is very rule bound. Whereas football is the simplest of games to take part in. 

Which much as I like rugby is a clear plus for football. Anyone being able to play easily with minimal equipment and in pretty well any conditions is as good a criterion as any for a good sport 

So, apart from the fact that rugby is hard to understand as a lot of it is counter intuitive, you're in total agreement with me. Have you considered why a lot of rugby is counter intuitive? It's because without these rules the game wouldn't work!  Releasing the ball when on the ground. Passing backwards. Even the unfathomable offside rule has to be constantly changed as soon as teams learn to take advantage of the weakness in the logic. Show me a great sport where most of the play is counter intuitive and I'll show you a useless game with a false sense of its importance. What's the usual attendance at Sheffield RUFC? 200,  300? Those of us who caught some of the final before our eyes started bleeding will quite understand those attendance figures. Minor infraction. Penalty. Kick ball over bar in stadium that has gone strangely silent, suggesting this activity requires tremendous skill when they must surely realise that with half an hour's practice most able bodied adults would be able to do this. Repeat. Utter. Utter garbage.

2 hours ago, Jaybeeowl said:

So, apart from the fact that rugby is hard to understand as a lot of it is counter intuitive, you're in total agreement with me. Have you considered why a lot of rugby is counter intuitive? It's because without these rules the game wouldn't work!  Releasing the ball when on the ground. Passing backwards. Even the unfathomable offside rule has to be constantly changed as soon as teams learn to take advantage of the weakness in the logic. Show me a great sport where most of the play is counter intuitive and I'll show you a useless game with a false sense of its importance. What's the usual attendance at Sheffield RUFC? 200,  300? Those of us who caught some of the final before our eyes started bleeding will quite understand those attendance figures. Minor infraction. Penalty. Kick ball over bar in stadium that has gone strangely silent, suggesting this activity requires tremendous skill when they must surely realise that with half an hour's practice most able bodied adults would be able to do this. Repeat. Utter. Utter garbage.

I think you can describe pretty well any physical activity in reductive terms if you so choose. I'm not sure it adds much. I find watching golf the most tedious thing but that is a statement about my view of golf. Some people like golf very much and they are not deluded any more than I am. We have different preferences. 

By and large I do find that football is the better game to watch, for some of the reasons you give. One thing I would add is that below top level rugby really is a bit dull to watch. I used to watch Sheffield Tigers occasionally when I knew a couple of players. If you don't have the personal connections it's quite a long afternoon. Equally, I played at pretty well that level for a London club in my 20s and had a good time. At that level it's the playing and the social experience. 

6 hours ago, Jaybeeowl said:

What a daft post.

golf - just hitting a plastic ball with a metal stick.

cricket - throwing a leather ball for someone to hit with a wooden stick.

any sport in the world seems daft by your logic.

You don’t have to like rugby - that’s your personal choice - but don’t pretend it’s not a highly skilled, extremely tough sport.

ive always been a football fan first but, other than watching wednesday I enjoy watching England rugby much more than football these days.

football finished prob 20 years in terms of the sport I originally really loved - it’s a shadow of itself now.

On 01/11/2019 at 16:59, Lawrie Madden said:

I used to play this sport I apparently don’t understand and enjoyed PLAYING it 

However how anyone enjoys watching it is beyond me  

because it’s a fantastic display of skill, organisation, strength, power, athleticism, courage and respect.

more than football has these days unfortunately.

On 02/11/2019 at 15:38, ljhowl said:

South Africa basically out-Englanded England. England didn't have a plan B and South Africa's Plan A was the same but they just did it better. It's sport isn't it and let's face it Wednesday over the years have been the epitome of inconsistency. Match the top dogs one week; get convincingly beaten by someone in bottom 3 next. I'm sticking my neck out and saying we are a bit different this year with Monk. Don't  roll over and die and are as up for games against the "bottom" clubs as the top. So I'm going for 0-2 to the Wednesday today, Fletcher and finally........Palmer. 

This is why I don't make predictions. First and last time.