Wednesday or Rugby?

Much as Id love to watch the final,sadly Il be sleeping off tonights beer.

I used to really enjoy RU back when it was on terrestrial tv,but Ive lost touch since sky came along,never used to miss a 5 nations game knew all the players,but I cant be arsed to catch up now,hope we win like but 3 points from blackburn is way more important to me tomorrow

On 31/10/2019 at 22:32, Mystic Neg said:

Things I like about rugby;

Proper refs that don't get abuse from players, take no prisoners and can control a game

Proper men not diving around like they've been shot even when some of the hits they take warrant it. 

Opposing fans who can sit together and have a beer without wanting to kill each other. 

Respect it teaches kids who play the game from a young age. 

Quite honestly, I think England winning a World Cup in one of the country's popular sports would bring a bit of positivity to the country as a whole, while all our politicians are forkin about. 

I'd take a world cup win and one of the games we're bound not to win at some stage of the season coming tomorrow. 

Doesn't mean I don't love Wednesday. As a big fan of both sports, I just think losing one game out of 46 in the season isn't the be all and end all. Losing the rugby World Cup final is at least another 4 year wait, most likely longer.

Accept not everyone will feel the same, evidently.

We'll put mystic, I agree 100% football could learn a hell of a lot from rugby union, the respect the players have for the ref and each other, we used to knock the living daylights out of each other during the game and after have a laugh and few beers no animosity no punch ups just a bunch of guys who love the game.

28 minutes ago, Castleford Owl said:

Fatlol absolutely clueless 

But there's truth at the heart of this. Unlike football which takes hundreds of hours playing in the street just to get the basic skills, rugby can be played by pretty much anyone. There are only a few positions in the team requiring a reasonable level of athleticism,. Fly half, winger. The rest of the team can be made of anyone who wants to get stuck in, the bigger the better. This is why it's so popular in public schools. It allows all the kids to join in and experience teamwork, bonding, camraderie etc. Obviously, at international level and in the modern era the players aren't just big lumps but it's a pretty poor basis for a sport would you agree. 

15 minutes ago, Jaybeeowl said:

But there's truth at the heart of this. Unlike football which takes hundreds of hours playing in the street just to get the basic skills, rugby can be played by pretty much anyone. There are only a few positions in the team requiring a reasonable level of athleticism,. Fly half, winger. The rest of the team can be made of anyone who wants to get stuck in, the bigger the better. This is why it's so popular in public schools. It allows all the kids to join in and experience teamwork, bonding, camraderie etc. Obviously, at international level and in the modern era the players aren't just big lumps but it's a pretty poor basis for a sport would you agree. 

So football requires more basic skills..... really?

Reasonable level of athleticism, have you seen football at lower levels.

I would say the basic concept of rugby far outweighs anything to do with football all day long.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Jaybeeowl said:

To be honest I think that's rubbish. Except for tag and sevens, rugby is quite a tricky game to pick up. Some of it is counterintuitive, and obviously it is very rule bound. Whereas football is the simplest of games to take part in. 

Which much as I like rugby is a clear plus for football. Anyone being able to play easily with minimal equipment and in pretty well any conditions is as good a criterion as any for a good sport 

Guest LittleG

Got to be football and Wednesday all the way. Because of all the hype I thought I'd give the rugby final a go and watch it, BORING!!

Being able to kick a ball over a bar totally unopposed while the opposition simply stand and stare seems to be a very important part of rugby. Watching someone do that wouldn't pass muster as half time entertainment at Hillsborough but each to their own I suppose.

1 minute ago, LittleG said:

Got to be football and Wednesday all the way. Because of all the hype I thought I'd give the rugby final a go and watch it, BORING!!

Wednesday better win now. 

Have to admit, found it quite interesting when they got close to the line. 

Its going off now, im going to watch my lad play football. 

1 minute ago, Jaybeeowl said:

Being able to kick a ball over a bar totally unopposed while the opposition simply stand and stare seems to be a very important part of rugby. Watching someone do that wouldn't pass muster as half time entertainment at Hillsborough but each to their own I suppose.

To be fair footballers do their fair share of kicking a ball over a bar without any issue. See plenty of that at hillsboro