Wednesday or Rugby?

32 minutes ago, Jaybeeowl said:

There's only one world cup. These chancers should be penalised for even using the phrase. Unless of course you think the world series baseball involves the whole world as well.

Well what should it be called then ? I agree with your take on USA based sport being called a world series that’s a joke . I enjoy watching lots of sports , so if you can only watch Football well that’s a shame then. Today’s version of football can be very trying at the least  with all the cheating going on , money and greed has totally ruined our great game for me .

Edited by dewsburyowl58

18 minutes ago, Geedee said:

I wish England well and will watch the game.

I do find rugby fans and their we are better than football fans attitude irritating.

There will be a lot of people at the England game but it is the world cup ffs.

Look at the attendances for club rugby , compare their elite clubs to ours.

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/other-sport/12-premiership-rugby-clubs-ranked-2334314

That's the reality of how popular Rugby Union is.

Exactly! Rugby union away from the national sides isn't popular. Even in Wales, which sells itself as a passionate rugby country, the three main football clubs attendance dwarfs that of the rugby clubs. Most people watching don't know half the rules and neither do they care! It's just an excuse to get drunk and be patriotic for a few hours. Nothing particularly wrong with that but its appeal to a football fan is a bit bewildering.

3 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Well what should it be called then ? I agree with your take on USA based sport being called a world series that’s a joke . I enjoy watching lots of sports , so if you can only watch Football well that’s a shame then. Today’s version of football can be very trying at the least  with all the cheating going on , money and greed has totally ruined our great game for me .

Baseball was called after a New York newspaper called the "New York world", they sponsored it...Originally it was called "The Worlds' series...

happy to help

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, asteener1867 said:

Baseball was called after a New York newspaper called the "New York world", they sponsored it...Originally it was called "The Worlds' series...

happy to help

It’s still ridiculous to state it as a World Series isn’t it , who are they trying to kid !!!

1 minute ago, asteener1867 said:

happy to help

Everydays a school day. Fair play USA. My apologies

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

It’s still ridiculous to state it as a World Series isn’t it , who are they trying to kid !!!

1 minute ago, Jaybeeowl said:

Everydays a school day. Fair play USA. My apologies

I only found out after takin' the p *ss outta a Doctor on our ward who was from Philadelphia..The argument or rather discussion started when he found me in the staff room watching cricket...

He said summat like 

"jeez what on earth are the rules to this game" after watchin' for 10 minutes

I said summat like .."Settle down...theres 4 days to go..plenty of time to learn"

and it sorta escalated from there...nice bloke...ended up playing a  couple games of cricket for us...couldn't bat (but nor could most of us)...reight fielder tho'

• Haha 2

Just now, asteener1867 said:

Nah..So we moved onto Baseball

As far as that goes...

I like American Sports. I like English Sports.

Having lived and worked in both countries I can confirm Americans who complain about "Soccer" and English people who drone on about the Baseball World Series being called... The World Series are equally as boring.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, NYCOWL said:

As far as that goes...

I like American Sports. I like English Sports.

Having lived and worked in both countries I can confirm Americans who complain about "Soccer" and English people who drone on about the Baseball World Series being called... The World Series are equally as boring.

I quite like Baseball..Hate American football and Ice Hockey

20 hours ago, roaminowl said:

lol

You've no fecking clue about the sport. That's patently obvious.

You have an opinion, and you've repeatedly told us what it is, but that doesn't make you correct.

I used to play this sport I apparently don’t understand and enjoyed PLAYING it 

However how anyone enjoys watching it is beyond me  

2 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

I used to play this sport I apparently don’t understand and enjoyed PLAYING it 

However how anyone enjoys watching it is beyond me  

Played Rugby once..Herringthorpe playing fields Rotherham..When a mates team was short....I dunno whether I had a good game or not...Just more or less wrestled about in f.ookin' mud

Guest Manwithastick
2 hours ago, torryowl said:

I stand by what I posted .. the England cri ket team is not made up of ex public school players ......your research proves that  .

Are you hard of thinking or just being deliberately obtuse?

8 of 11 who started the 5th test v Australia were public (paid private) schooled.

7 of 11 who started the World Cup final v New Zealand were public (paid private) schooled.

By DEFINITION, either England team IS MOSTLY made up of ex public school players.