Squad strength - our Second Xl

Given that our first Xl have risen nicely into 5th place, a look at our current second Xl suggests we have tremendous strength in depth.

None of these are a comment on the relative merits of players. It’s purely the players who haven’t been regular starters recently due to availability or selection.

Dawson

Odubajo Lees Bates Thorniley 
Murphy Lee Pelupessy Forestieri

Nuhiu Winnall/Rhodes

Twelve players there who won’t let the team down if they cover for a short period.

In my opinion there are three of them absolutely banging on the door of the person currently playing their role in the first Xl - Lees, Odubajo and Forestieri. With Lee and Dawson tapping politely at the door.

Pretty good shape for the 12 games upto the transfer window I would argue.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Given that our first Xl have risen nicely into 5th place, a look at our current second Xl suggests we have tremendous strength in depth.

None of these are a comment on the relative merits of players. It’s purely the players who haven’t been regular starters recently due to availability or selection.

Dawson

Odubajo Lees Bates Thorniley 
Murphy Lee Pelupessy Forestieri

Nuhiu Winnall/Rhodes

Twelve players there who won’t let the team down if they cover for a short period.

In my opinion there are three of them absolutely banging on the door of the person currently playing their role in the first Xl - Lees, Odubajo and Forestieri. With Lee and Dawson tapping politely at the door.

Pretty good shape for the 12 games upto the transfer window I would argue.

You won’t find any argument from me, the squad is in good health

Sadly this reminds me of Carlos’ second season where I remember the pigs fans were saying our second team was better than their first team. Then a year later they’re in the same league beating us 4-2 at home and going on to be promoted in the following season. 

The moral seems to be that it’s great to have strength in depth but really it’s the first team that needs to be great. Hopefully in January we can sign those 3 players that take us to being serious top two candidates 

Guest LittleG
1 hour ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

If our squad is so strong

Why do we lack so much creativity when just one player gets injured

I agree. It's not so much that our squad is strong it's just big. 

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

If our squad is so strong

Why do we lack so much creativity when just one player gets injured

Because we don’t have many creative players. We used to have Wallace, Lee, Bannan, Reach, Hooper, Joao and FF. That’s why we used to be able to open teams up in tight games. Out of that lot we’ve got  Bannan left.. FF for some reason can’t get a start. Lee doesn’t look the same player, Reach is out of form and needs a rest from the team, and the rest have left. Nobody we’ve brought in since has any creativity. Harris is very direct and has pace but doesn’t create in the same way. We also used to have fullbacks who chipped in with the odd assist. We need some new players in attacking positions