Jump to content
Rogerwyldesmullet

Big club? Crowds now crowds then

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, handworth52 said:

ive been to villa in 1985 and villa park for semi in 86 . villa have never had 10000 crowds ,either its a misprint or there was some mass protest going on regards doug ellis at the time ,also in them days there were a lot of trouble and I think it put a lot off going . why would villa park have 45000 capacity ground but only get 10000 in top flight? don't make sense. I think chansiri has made a huge mistake regards pricing , once your out of habit of going you may never go back .also if prices were much simpler ie 3 categories instead of 9. every casual fan now thinks its £40-£49 so they don't bother checking when it might be £30 

Their average in 84 85 was 18,300

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, the monk said:

Their average in 84 85 was 18,300

Already been done , ignore !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

 

You seem to be determined to downplay Wednesdays support but Im confident that if we charged average Premiership ticket prices then we sell out our ground if it was still the 39000 capacity before SAG got all grumpy.

 

If we could maintain a decent Premiership standing for five seasons or more and challenging seriously for Europe and the cup compertions then we could fill a 45-50000 stadium.  As could and I hate to say it United. 

 

 

 

 

Having followed this club for nearly 50 years, I'm hardly downplaying support. I'm stating facts and quoting figures from history which people don't appear to want to agree with. Any future predictions are based on a lot of supposition, the main one being that the very day we get promoted, the west side of the stadium will be revamped and SAG removes all restrictions so our attendance capacity immediately increases in time for a new season 3 months later.

As for your 45 to 50k predictions, we'll just have to pin this post and return to it in 2025.:biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

Having followed this club for nearly 50 years, I'm hardly downplaying support. I'm stating facts and quoting figures from history which people don't appear to want to agree with. Any future predictions are based on a lot of supposition, the main one being that the very day we get promoted, the west side of the stadium will be revamped and SAG removes all restrictions so our attendance capacity immediately increases in time for a new season 3 months later.

As for your 45 to 50k predictions, we'll just have to pin this post and return to it in 2025.:biggrin:

 

 

Your history didn't have the Premiership and all the hype and success with it.   Chelsea ,Newcastle, Man City, Villa have all benefited from the the Prem and there is no reason why we couldn't as well .

 

You're missing the point that if it was a level playing field in terms of stadia then we could compete with big boys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, handworth52 said:

ive been to villa in 1985 and villa park for semi in 86 . villa have never had 10000 crowds ,either its a misprint or there was some mass protest going on regards doug ellis at the time ,also in them days there were a lot of trouble and I think it put a lot off going . why would villa park have 45000 capacity ground but only get 10000 in top flight? don't make sense. I think chansiri has made a huge mistake regards pricing , once your out of habit of going you may never go back .also if prices were much simpler ie 3 categories instead of 9. every casual fan now thinks its £40-£49 so they don't bother checking when it might be £30 

 

We only have one or two games per season at them prices so I doubt it is every casual fan thinking that, it's not rocket science to find out how much ticket prices are for each individual game.

 

Majority of games range from £30 to £36 on kop, still far too expensive for anyone wanting or can only get to odd game might I add.

 

I agree with categories, should be A £30, B £27 & C £24 on kop obviously a bit more on North and South stands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mycroft said:

 

 

Your history didn't have the Premiership and all the hype and success with it.   Chelsea ,Newcastle, Man City, Villa have all benefited from the the Prem and there is no reason why we couldn't as well .

 

You're missing the point that if it was a level playing field in terms of stadia then we could compete with big boys. 

That's still supposition and not fact so we'll agree to disagree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

That's still supposition and not fact so we'll agree to disagree.silly 

 

If we are discussing the future then it has to be supposition silly sausage 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

 

If we are discussing the future then it has to be supposition silly sausage 

First of all, why edit my post to look like I'm being childish. Secondly, your statement regarding a future level playing field comes across as definitive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bulldog said:

First of all, why edit my post to look like I'm being childish. Secondly, your statement regarding a future level playing field comes across as definitive.

 

Edit? Did I? If I did, it was unintentional.  

 

Well it is definitive for the purposes of the debate but it doesn't make it a fact if that's what your implying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/10/2019 at 09:15, ohgoditsjames said:

That’s good to know! I work at Northern Powergrid on Aketon road so you might see me wandering around the station in the mornings or evenings with my Wednesday scarf on as I live around Leeds now!

Are you the lad with the Wednesday mug that I chat to in the kitchen at NPG...? Not seen you there for a while, but I do keep an eye out for you... I like the fact that there’s a lot of wednesdayites in NPG.... good company!!! UTO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bradowl said:

 

We only have one or two games per season at them prices so I doubt it is every casual fan thinking that, it's not rocket science to find out how much ticket prices are for each individual game.

 

Majority of games range from £30 to £36 on kop, still far too expensive for anyone wanting or can only get to odd game might I add.

 

I agree with categories, should be A £30, B £27 & C £24 on kop obviously a bit more on North and South stands.

I think other clubs have a much simpler system id have the a b c . c for night games, b for sky games and less fashionable opposition , a for leeds derby etc 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SimonJ said:

Are you the lad with the Wednesday mug that I chat to in the kitchen at NPG...? Not seen you there for a while, but I do keep an eye out for you... I like the fact that there’s a lot of wednesdayites in NPG.... good company!!! UTO

 

Blimey! Getting like a dating site or  “meet your mate” or summat on here! 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎30‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 21:32, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

Growing up in my day you always had the impression that we were a big club because we could match or even exceed the kind of crowds that most of the successful teams attracted. Man U and Liverpool were maybe 88801137-8169-4E2F-B8BF-7AF5B69CF7D5.thumb.jpeg.fbb6d5663a9d6dcbf951862dd994919f.jpegout on their own but Arsenal Spurs Chelsea etc were nothing special as the picture attached attests. Things have changed massively now with clubs like West Ham attracting 50k/week but it wasn’t always like that in an era when a fine club like Ipswich were attracting 11k. Makes me wonder what kind of crowds we’d get if we had a successful period now and got our pricing sorted out! 

Just looking at that article brings back so many good memories of when football was football before the days of sky tv.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

88801137-8169-4E2F-B8BF-7AF5B69CF7D5.jpeg.b7729ac0304f04f7e0aa8b72b72da5c0.jpeg

 

Two ex owls amongst goalscorers at other clubs, Wilf Rostron and Ian Cranson, didn't we sign Cranson after missing out on Mark Wright who choose Derby over us?

 

Wright a far better player, maybe this was start of the end for Wilkinson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bradowl said:

88801137-8169-4E2F-B8BF-7AF5B69CF7D5.jpeg.b7729ac0304f04f7e0aa8b72b72da5c0.jpeg

 

Two ex owls amongst goalscorers at other clubs, Wilf Rostron and Ian Cranson, didn't we sign Cranson after missing out on Mark Wright who choose Derby over us?

 

Wright a far better player, maybe this was start of the end for Wilkinson.

Mark Wright turned us down because his wife didn’t want to move north from Southampton. 

 

Chris Fairclough also turned us down in similar circumstances. 

 

Wright signed for Derby...

 

At the time we were known to be poor payers. 

 

Seem to think we also signed Armstrong from Southampton but the deal got cancelled the following day for some reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, vulva said:

Mark Wright turned us down because his wife didn’t want to move north from Southampton. 

 

Chris Fairclough also turned us down in similar circumstances. 

 

Wright signed for Derby...

 

At the time we were known to be poor payers. 

 

Seem to think we also signed Armstrong from Southampton but the deal got cancelled the following day for some reason. 

Think you’re right on Armstrong one of many deals that fell through because we paid low wages. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
# Team sum Matches average
1 Manchester United Manchester United 972.757 21 46.322
2 Liverpool FC Liverpool FC 741.699 21 35.319
3 Everton FC Everton FC 680.143 21 32.388
4 Manchester City Manchester City 508.809 21 24.229
5 Arsenal FC Arsenal FC 500.076 21 23.813
6 Newcastle United Newcastle United 486.862 21 23.184
7 Sheffield Wednesday Sheffield Wednesday 485.131 21 23.101
8 Chelsea FC Chelsea FC 461.698 21 21.986
9 West Ham United West Ham United 447.071 21 21.289
10 Tottenham Hotspur Tottenham Hotspur 438.096 21 20.862
11 Nottingham Forest Nottingham Forest 353.982 21 16.856
12 Watford FC Watford FC 322.805 21 15.372
13 Queens Park Rangers Queens Park Rangers 320.052 21 15.241
14 Aston Villa Aston Villa 319.581 21 15.218
15 Southampton FC Southampton FC 315.636 21 15.030
16 Ipswich Town Ipswich Town 303.275 21 14.442
17 Leicester City Leicester City 277.509 21 13.215
18 West Bromwich Albion West Bromwich Albion 254.878 21 12.137
19 Coventry City Coventry City 244.615 21 11.648
20 Luton Town Luton Town 232.081 21 11.051
21 Oxford United Oxford United 231.607 21 11.029
22 Birmingham City Birmingham City 229.270 21 10.918
  overall 9.127.633 462 19.757
Premier League
Premier League

 

Edited by matt68owls

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...