A12owl

Garry Monk and Pep Clotet

The pair have been an item at Swansea, L**DS and Birmingham. Clotet also worked in Sweden for two years, starting as an assistant to Roland Nilsson at Malmö FF, who won the 2010 Allsvenskan championship. It's usual that a management team stick together when taking up new appointments. Could it be that the financial restrictions prevented Pep2 from joining us with Monk. It's unusual for a manager to take on a new challenge without his right hand man. If Birmingham begin to slip up then I can see him joining Monk. It would lighten the load on Monk who I guess would not normally take the full training sessions. I know he's got Bullen but perhaps Pep2 input would raise the quality just enough to make the difference between top 6 and top 2.

There has to be a lot of different aspects to training which another pair of experienced hands would help. 

3 minutes ago, A12owl said:

The pair have been an item at Swansea, L**DS and Birmingham. Clotet also worked in Sweden for two years, starting as an assistant to Roland Nilsson at Malmö FF, who won the 2010 Allsvenskan championship. It's usual that a management team stick together when taking up new appointments. Could it be that the financial restrictions prevented Pep2 from joining us with Monk. It's unusual for a manager to take on a new challenge without his right hand man. If Birmingham begin to slip up then I can see him joining Monk. It would lighten the load on Monk who I guess would not normally take the full training sessions. I know he's got Bullen but perhaps Pep2 input would raise the quality just enough to make the difference between top 6 and top 2.

There has to be a lot of different aspects to training which another pair of experienced hands would help. 

If Clotet wants tob come here I'm sure we would give him a contract. I can't see that DC would refuse to back Monk in that way particularly as things are going well.

I always think that a manager always needs a trusted number 2 to give him some backing throughout the job. A bit of a go between, between the manager and players. Bullen bless him is probably too close to the players and might not have the fear factor with the players. 

Monk has done a brilliant job so far but might just need a trusted aide long term.

Screenshot_20191029-165321.jpg

Clotet is still the caretaker manager/coach at Birmingham  , Why would he give up the main gig to go back to being a number 2?

• Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, s29wfc said:

Clotet is still the caretaker manager/coach at Birmingham  , Why would he give up the main gig to go back to being a number 2?

Because he is only caretaker. He also turned down an offer to manage Brentford due to his loyalty to Monk. He might be happier working for somebody than being the main man. Some people are happier being a no2 than  a no1.

20 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Because he is only caretaker. He also turned down an offer to manage Brentford due to his loyalty to Monk. He might be happier working for somebody than being the main man. Some people are happier being a no2 than  a no1.

He turned down an offer to manager Brentford to continue to be Monks number two. Really? 

I think Bullen’s going to continue to be a part of things until at least the end of the season but long term you would expect Monk to have his own choice of coaches alongside him long term?

When we get promoted in May I’d expect Clotet would like to be Monk’s assistant again 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, A12owl said:

He'd already be here now if what you suggest is true. I think he wants the main job at Birmingham on a permanent basis, & knows that he can link up with Monk again if that doesn't come off. What other reason is there for him still to be there?

It will be down to contracts and compensation. Clotet will  probably be due a pay off if Birmingham decide they don't want him to be permanent.

9 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

He turned down an offer to manager Brentford to continue to be Monks number two. Really? 

According to Wikipedia.

Screenshot_20191030-091622.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, marble said:

He'd already be here now if what you suggest is true. I think he wants the main job at Birmingham on a permanent basis, & knows that he can link up with Monk again if that doesn't come off. What other reason is there for him still to be there?

We didn't have the finances available. FFP restrictions or whatever umbargo we were under at the time.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, s29wfc said:

because we are Sheffield flippingWednesday 

:Chansiri:

57 minutes ago, Hougoumont said:

It will be down to contracts and compensation. Clotet will  probably be due a pay off if Birmingham decide they don't want him to be permanent.

Perhaps that's what we are waiting for. Him to be given the boot.

• Agree 1

Doubt he’ll walk away from possibly being Birmingham manager. Clotet also didn’t follow Monk to Middlesbrough because he took the Oxford job. I’m sure however in the future if Clotet leaves Birmingham there is a huge possibility he comes here. 

He's currently the caretaker manager of a championship side that is 11th in the League 

Hes been caretaker since July and is a situation he and the club are reportedly happy with 

thats probably why and nothing to do with Finances, especially seeing as Beatie is allegedly coming in next week to join the coaching staff 

Sorry i stopped reading at Roland. Get him in as assistant manager!lol

Didn’t Beattie and Clotet have a fall out? I can’t see both of them coming here if that’s the case. 

20 hours ago, s29wfc said:

Continued caretaker designation with clueless ownership would be two big reasons

37 minutes ago, Shezza said:

Didn’t Beattie and Clotet have a fall out? I can’t see both of them coming here if that’s the case. 

Where did that come from?