A Minute of your Time

1 hour ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

I have to agree with this. 

Bannan is a good Championship player and one of our better players.  

There are better creative midfielders in the Championship such as Eze, Phillips, Pereira, Cairney, Daniel Johnson, Joe Allen. 

Bannan is weak defensively. Not his fault, not a criticism, he’s just not suited to defensive duties and therefore at times is a liability. 

Don’t think any are suggesting drop Bannan forever, rather that we have different / better options for certain games, opponents and situations. Like everyone else in the squad Bannan isn’t and shouldn’t be “ undroppable ” based on form, fitness, fatigue or tactics. 

Bannan is a firm favourite of the fans because of his love for the club and his passion and commitment. Also for some of his performances. However, like everyone else in the squad he’s good championship standard but not much more and if a better option became available we should upgrade 

If we left Bannan out of the team. We would notice the difference pretty quickly.

Bannan is a part of every move we do at some point. But that is not measured by stats. Count the number of times Bannan plays the ball that leads to the assist.

Most managers in this division would take Bannan for there team. 

And every manager we have had here has more or less said he is the best we got.( Or continued like the previous manager to run all our play through him)

Fantastic player. Fit as a fiddle, extremely skilful and creative and you can give him the football at any point and he rarely uses it.

i always find the reference to our past incredibly depressing. You would think that 90’s team were a mix of shanklys Liverpool , Guardiola’s Barcelona and the great Hungarian team of the early 60’s. Not a team who contrived to get us relegated from the top flight in 1990, finished the 1991 season in the exact same place in the same league that this current team were before the weekend , and won a total of one league cup in that glorious period. If course, they led us to that glorious European adventure where we vanquished the mighty spora Luxembourg only.

all this ridiculous rose tinted nostalgia leads to a bunch of sour , bitter, fat old fans in the stands who constantly moan and wonder why Adthe Nuhiu isn’t David Hirst. It’s tempting, after poking such fans in the eye , to remind them that David Hirst wasn’t a patch on Andrew Wilson nor would Phil king have seen off the Spanish as Francis drake did in 1588.

Edited by mcmigo
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mcmigo said:

Fantastic player. Fit as a fiddle, extremely skilful and creative and you can give him the football at any point and he rarely uses it.

i always find the reference to our past incredibly depressing. You would think that 90’s team were a mix of shanklys Liverpool , Guardiola’s Barcelona and the great Hungarian team of the early 60’s. Not a team who contrived to get us relegated from the top flight in 1990, finished the 1991 season in the exact same place in the same league that this current team were before the weekend , and won a total of one league cup in that glorious period. If course, they led us to that glorious European adventure where we vanquished the mighty spora Luxembourg only.

all this ridiculous rose tinted nostalgia leads to a bunch of sour , bitter, fat old fans in the stands who constantly moan and wonder why Adthe Nuhiu isn’t David Hirst. It’s tempting, after poking such fans in the eye , to remind them that David Hirst wasn’t a patch on Andrew Wilson nor would Phil king have seen off the Spanish as Francis drake did in 1588.

Re Rose coloured spectacles

”Fantastic player” - definition of fantastic is “extraordinarily good”,  So in your view Bannan’s talents are extraordinary, like say Messi or Ronaldo? 

Of course the team of the 90’s were not a mix of shanklys Liverpool , Guardiola’s Barcelona and the great Hungarian team of the early 60’s however, you conveniently chose to omit the fact that team contained 10 full internationals including Waddle, Nilsson and Sheridan, finished 3rd in the Premier League and reached 2 cup finals in the same season. Admittedly not the greatest of achievements but something the current generation of Wednesday supporters may not see again in their lifetime. 

By stating that team” finished the 1991 season in the exact same place in the same league that this current team were before the weekend”, are you suggesting that this current team with its fantastic and extremely skilful and creative players will go onto emulate the team of the early 90’s?

Another definition of fantastic is “imaginative or fanciful; remote from reality“ which best describes your post. There’s no need for me to be insulting because you’ve mugged yourself off

11 hours ago, OWL1969 said:

Many can't recall the goal you mentioned, but it may also have something to do with the speed it's at on the clip.

I remember it being a fantastic goal (even better than Dalians earlier cracker) but never recall him having the pace he has on that Vid!

Oh, I see, thanks mate

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

12 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

I have to agree with this. 

Bannan is a good Championship player and one of our better players.  

There are better creative midfielders in the Championship such as Eze, Phillips, Pereira, Cairney, Daniel Johnson, Joe Allen. 

Bannan is weak defensively. Not his fault, not a criticism, he’s just not suited to defensive duties and therefore at times is a liability. 

Don’t think any are suggesting drop Bannan forever, rather that we have different / better options for certain games, opponents and situations. Like everyone else in the squad Bannan isn’t and shouldn’t be “ undroppable ” based on form, fitness, fatigue or tactics. 

Bannan is a firm favourite of the fans because of his love for the club and his passion and commitment. Also for some of his performances. However, like everyone else in the squad he’s good championship standard but not much more and if a better option became available we should upgrade 

Very good sensible post. I agree entirely Bannan is decent but doesn't score or assist enough to be classed as anything more. His tackling leaves a lot to be desired as his yellow card record suggests. Though the championship refs do dish them out like confetti. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Re Rose coloured spectacles

”Fantastic player” - definition of fantastic is “extraordinarily good”,  So in your view Bannan’s talents are extraordinary, like say Messi or Ronaldo? 

Of course the team of the 90’s were not a mix of shanklys Liverpool , Guardiola’s Barcelona and the great Hungarian team of the early 60’s however, you conveniently chose to omit the fact that team contained 10 full internationals including Waddle, Nilsson and Sheridan, finished 3rd in the Premier League and reached 2 cup finals in the same season. Admittedly not the greatest of achievements but something the current generation of Wednesday supporters may not see again in their lifetime. 

By stating that team” finished the 1991 season in the exact same place in the same league that this current team were before the weekend”, are you suggesting that this current team with its fantastic and extremely skilful and creative players will go onto emulate the team of the early 90’s?

Another definition of fantastic is “imaginative or fanciful; remote from reality“ which best describes your post. There’s no need for me to be insulting because you’ve mugged yourself off

The constant banging on about this period is divisive ( deliberately) in our fan base and as tiresome as all other ‘back in our day ‘ nostalgia. It is aimed simply at proving to the unfortunate young not blessed to share in such a bounty of spirit affirming experiences that they will never be as happy as things can never be the same.
No son, don’t cheer like that for that Fletcher, after all has he won the league cup like Nigel Worthington did ?no dad but he has played for Marseille and is an international like Chris waddle was so button it .

17 hours ago, spike1867 said:

Fair do's. Seeing as I've been advocating leaving Bannan out in favour of a different midfield three, and, at the time when I posted I was the only one hinting at it again, I thought the comment was aimed at me. Whether it was or wasn't, "mugs" for me, is a bit much. Call us daft, tactically naive, had too much to drink or even a closet truffle hunter if you want, but I took offence to being called a mug.

You've said you stand by it, fair enough. It seems cos we're online the normal rules of society don't apply, because unless you like looking for trouble, I doubt very much you'd say it to someone you don't know if you were having a debate about it. In my opinion, they'd get p**sed of about it and call you out.

Let's get one thing clear, I'm not intimidating or threatening anyone. I ain't big enough and my days gobbing off at anyone ended when I was about 14.

What I said, if you read it back, is that if you go around calling people a mug, you'd better be prepared for the consequences of that, whatever that might be. Personally, I'm gonna call you out on it, because last time I checked it was post, not poster. How you take that up is your business.

Finally, I've never said "Bannan is poo", or anything remotely like it. To the contrary, I've commented that I like him as a player. I wish he was more productive, but that's more to do with what's ahead of him and around him. I'll be honest, I'm a little perplexed by the Bannan love in, but hey, each to their own. I certainly wouldn't call them mugs or any other insult.

Anyway, it appears I stirred a hornets nest. Like I said earlier, I apologise. If my back chat was a bit abrasive, I apologise for that too, but intimidating, threatening... Give over.

What are "the consequences of calling someone a mug"...it's a while since I've lived up north. Surely it's a contextual thing. It's not like he's walked up to you in the pub, tapped you on the shoulder and called you a c**t is it. 

1 hour ago, londonowl said:

What are "the consequences of calling someone a mug"...it's a while since I've lived up north. Surely it's a contextual thing. It's not like he's walked up to you in the pub, tapped you on the shoulder and called you a c**t is it. 

You're a cant..

6 hours ago, MARTY BOY said:

Very good sensible post. I agree entirely Bannan is decent but doesn't score or assist enough to be classed as anything more. His tackling leaves a lot to be desired as his yellow card record suggests. Though the championship refs do dish them out like confetti. 

4th most assists in the Championship last season