Monks way.

40 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

He's a very good manager. But world class? Alex Ferguson is world class. Bielsa is in that next tier down IMO. 

Surely to manage a top level national team, that makes you world class?  We're talking semantics now really but if you talk to anyone in the game they think he's a genius.  Maybe he transcends the day to day hum drum coaching and managing a team.  Maybe he's the Dave Brailsford type who is a visionary and inspires others to work beyond their natural talent.  But to have people like Pep and Jose singing his praises it suggests to me he's pretty special.  Trophies or not.  George Best never played in a World Cup, but it doesn't detract from how good he was.

Just not bothered...

4 hours ago, SiJ said:

Good article that. 

In the past, this team (or the spine of it) has shown they are capable of being very hard to breakdown and grind out results. Can't remember if it was 2 or 3 seasons in a row where we broke the clean sheet record. 

We lost that under Carlos in his third season and then we had the sheer lunacy of Jos. 

Bruce got us more organised again and I think Monk has taken it up a level terms of the defensive organisation. Everyone seems to know their role within the team. 

As for Biesla...world class? His teams play great football and he clearly improves players, but does he a have a plan b? 

When it works, they are an excellent team to watch (annoyingly). But last season they completely lost the plot and burnt out when it really mattered. 

Bielsa has a history of burning out players. He works them so hard many never refind the form of the first season.Be interesting to see how Leeds fair in the avalanche of games in December and January. Or if the wheels come off in April like the last few seasons.

19 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Bielsa has a history of burning out players. He works them so hard many never refind the form of the first season.Be interesting to see how Leeds fair in the avalanche of games in December and January. Or if the wheels come off in April like the last few seasons.

Yep. 

It's a great brand of football, but I think it is pretty difficult to have a team playing in that manner for a 46 game season, particularly as Leed's dont have the biggest of squads. 

That was the key for me between them and Dem Blades last season. Wilder seemed to recognise that he had to move slightly away from the gung-ho approach and adopt a slightly more pragmatic style to see them over the line. As a result, they were in great form for pretty much the entirety of the second part of the season. On the other hand, Leeds started to lose their way. 

54 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Yes, but that doesn't mean Biesla is world class.

Likewise, saying he isn't world class, isn't meant as a slight on him i.e. he's rubbish, because clearly he isn't.

Best coach in the Championship? Yeah, I could go with that, but I would question whether a man who has never really won anything, never managed one of Europe's absolute elite can be put in the world class category. 

Sorry. 

He is world class for the championship yes. But he is a million miles away from the top Premier league managers. 

1 hour ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

One of things that struck me, and we learnt the hard way with injuries after Carlos' first season, is that in the game last year Leeds were very energetic and yet it was a draw. No doubt they have some players with good skill on the ball, but I wondered if they could keep it up as so often teams cannot - the answer is perhaps not.

1 minute ago, NYCOWL said:

It's the first time I've seen them this season.

Just me who thought they were markedly less intense in pressing? Or maybe we have got better? 

I wonder if he's slowed down the intensity.

Maybe so, and it wouldn't surprise me if it pays dividends in the final reckoning.

They may not look as impressive right now, but if they can remain in the hunt and then turn on the style in the home straight as opposed to blowing a gasket, they could be uncatchable in the spring.

It all depends on them grinding out enough points and being able to ramp things up when it matters, I suppose. They need to find a more consistent way of winning ugly though, otherwise it could backfire.

36 minutes ago, NYCOWL said:

Just me who thought they were markedly less intense in pressing? Or maybe we have got better? 

Agree, they didn't give us a second on the ball last year, and played some really decent stuff out from the back first half...yet couldn't keep it up...A sort of microcosm of the way their season panned out...Heres to 'em doing the same again...

1 hour ago, NYCOWL said:

Yes. He has. I made this point somewhere on here, but talking to a Leeds supporting colleagues earlier today he confirmed it. Definite strategy so there is fuel in the tank in the final games. My friend is a bit worried about it, though. Without the intense pressing, is there enough there? 

From an entertainment point of view, if coaches are starting to recognise that there are limits to a high tempo pressing game over a season, that's welcome. As with a lots of tactical developments, when it starts off it's good. But it has become something of an arms race

1 hour ago, thewookieisdown said:

Yes. He has. I made this point somewhere on here, but talking to a Leeds supporting colleagues earlier today he confirmed it. Definite strategy so there is fuel in the tank in the final games. My friend is a bit worried about it, though. Without the intense pressing, is there enough there? 

From an entertainment point of view, if coaches are starting to recognise that there are limits to a high tempo pressing game over a season, that's welcome. As with a lots of tactical developments, when it starts off it's good. But it has become something of an arms race

Well it will make it interesting. As the weeks go on and still no stand-out teams emerge, the more we could gain confidence that a well drilled team with a tight defence like ours can be in the mix.