Monks way.

2 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

If he's world class, why is he managing a Championship club?

I think he thought he would get them straight up and become a prem manager. Because of how they fell apart probably also put other clubs off of approaching him! Newcastle for example.

• Like 1

Biesla is much like Carlos.

After that first season, we thought he was invincible. Played fun attacking football and scared teams, great interviews etc.

Carlos then saw failure in the playoff final, tried recruitment and failed at that. He
His tactics were found out, and then his interviews started to grate.

Leeds last year were found out near the end of the season, Biesla is starting to become annoying to listen to, and Leeds are scared of playing the attacking football they were good at last year.

They will get playoffs on quality alone (much like Carlos Season 2). But if they don't go up this year, that squad is tired and they may be back the manager merry go-round .

2 hours ago, SiJ said:

"World class" and yet this is his coaching CV

image.png.887fa36f8d4c92a55f67046ad5a8f4bf.png

Yes, there are some big names there, but the guy has never managed one of the truly elite clubs in world football. 

Appreciate he is highly influential and the likes of Pep etc have cited him as their greatest influence, but the fact is they have been able to take what he preached and apply it at a higher level and with much more success. 

His teams are notorious for playing great football but also suffering from fatigue in the latter stages of the season. That's a big part of why they bottled promotion last season. 

Name a single other coach in this division that could get a job managing any of the teams Bielsa has.

He is a fantastic coach.  It's no slight on us to complement him.

• Like 1

Just not bothered...

He is obviously a deep thinker about game plans and if players could sustain his ideas for 90 minutes let alone a full season

he might be vindicated. He is having to become more pragmatic in his approach this season because they burnt out last year.

This has created a more level playing field. His philosophy is flawed and last season proved it again and his approach this season

confirms it.

I don't know the answer, but what has he won at club level at Lille, Marseille, Lazio or Atletic Bilbao

16 minutes ago, bdmfournil said:

He is obviously a deep thinker about game plans and if players could sustain his ideas for 90 minutes let alone a full season

he might be vindicated. He is having to become more pragmatic in his approach this season because they burnt out last year.

This has created a more level playing field. His philosophy is flawed and last season proved it again and his approach this season

confirms it.

I don't know the answer, but what has he won at club level at Lille, Marseille, Lazio or Atletic Bilbao

Plus he's managed most big clubs for 1 season or 2 max. If you're having success you don't keep moving around.

Hes a style over substance coach imo. Great ideas but doesn't last over a full season.

It would get on my t*ts to have a manager who doesn’t speak English all the time. Anyway, he’s clearly a good manager. But with the financial situation in the championship and FFP I’m happy to have someone like Monk, who I think will get us promoted. I’m not sure having a manager wanting to score perfect goals would be so successful for us.  So good luck to those dirty Leeds b*stards 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mattitheowl said:

Name a single other coach in this division that could get a job managing any of the teams Bielsa has.

Exactly this. 

People say stuff like he hasn't won much.  The majority of the managers in the premier league letalone the championship have won absolutely nothing.

He's a very good manager. But world class? Alex Ferguson is world class. Bielsa is in that next tier down IMO. 

1 hour ago, swfc-dan said:

Interesting certainly for a talksport article. But doesnt talk enough about our attacking style seeing as we caused them more problems.  

Never heard of an underlap before either which Fox did, but I guess it makes sense.

Dont think the article was done to complement our attacking style. It was done to say, oh wow, someone has actually managed to stop Leeds playing. Here's how.

That doesn't make him world class though. 

28 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Exactly this. 

People say stuff like he hasn't won much.  The majority of the managers in the premier league letalone the championship have won absolutely nothing.

Yes, but that doesn't mean Biesla is world class.

Likewise, saying he isn't world class, isn't meant as a slight on him i.e. he's rubbish, because clearly he isn't.

Best coach in the Championship? Yeah, I could go with that, but I would question whether a man who has never really won anything, never managed one of Europe's absolute elite can be put in the world class category. 

Sorry.