Monks way.

So does that mean we have a manager who can explain a way to play and the players can execute? I remember Tom Lees saying more than a year ago that we had to find our own way of playing and maybe finally we have that! 
You would expect the consistency to continue with us being well drilled and combative. 

Thanks for sharing. Interesting positive piece about a very grwon up game of football.

This could do with being printed out and handed around the bit of the north where I sit, where the response to an oppo player having the ball anywhere in our half or even possibly their half is always "get 'im!"

We kept shape very well all through Saturday

• Like 1

On the surface Leeds United should be the dominant side in the division. They have excellent balance in their squad between proven first-team players and talented youngsters and in Marcelo Bielsa they have the only genuine world-class coach in the division.

Did well in Argentina in the 1990’s but hasn’t won a single trophy since then. Has inspired and mentored some world class coaches like Pep & Jose but hardly world-class himself. Born out by the fact he couldn’t coach the so called “ outstanding side in the division “ to promotion last season. I’d argue that Wilder, Farke, Lampard & Johnson got more out of their squads last year

Was out-thought by Monk on Saturday and couldn’t do anything to change the game. 

Good article that. 

In the past, this team (or the spine of it) has shown they are capable of being very hard to breakdown and grind out results. Can't remember if it was 2 or 3 seasons in a row where we broke the clean sheet record. 

We lost that under Carlos in his third season and then we had the sheer lunacy of Jos. 

Bruce got us more organised again and I think Monk has taken it up a level terms of the defensive organisation. Everyone seems to know their role within the team. 

As for Biesla...world class? His teams play great football and he clearly improves players, but does he a have a plan b? 

When it works, they are an excellent team to watch (annoyingly). But last season they completely lost the plot and burnt out when it really mattered. 

3 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

On the surface Leeds United should be the dominant side in the division. They have excellent balance in their squad between proven first-team players and talented youngsters and in Marcelo Bielsa they have the only genuine world-class coach in the division.

Did well in Argentina in the 1990’s but hasn’t won a single trophy since then. Has inspired and mentored some world class coaches like Pep & Jose but hardly world-class himself. Born out by the fact he couldn’t coach the so called “ outstanding side in the division “ to promotion last season. I’d argue that Wilder, Farke, Lampard & Johnson got more out of their squads last year

Was out-thought by Monk on Saturday and couldn’t do anything to change the game. 

I do agree that Bielsa gets over hyped because of his whole maverick image. Surely if he was that coveted he wouldn't be now plying his trade in England's second tier? He's clearly a manager who gets more out his players, but I think the way Leeds collapsed last season shows he is romanticised because of his style of play rather than coldly getting the job done.  

4 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

He still is the only genuine world class coach in the division though.

• Haha 1

"World class" and yet this is his coaching CV

image.png.887fa36f8d4c92a55f67046ad5a8f4bf.png

Yes, there are some big names there, but the guy has never managed one of the truly elite clubs in world football. 

Appreciate he is highly influential and the likes of Pep etc have cited him as their greatest influence, but the fact is they have been able to take what he preached and apply it at a higher level and with much more success. 

His teams are notorious for playing great football but also suffering from fatigue in the latter stages of the season. That's a big part of why they bottled promotion last season. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

excellent post. In fact if beilsa is world class then in Garry Monk we are clearly looking at the next Barcelona coach !! ;-):laugh:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, SiJ said:

"World class" and yet this is his coaching CV

image.png.887fa36f8d4c92a55f67046ad5a8f4bf.png

Yes, there are some big names there, but the guy has never managed one of the truly elite clubs in world football. 

Appreciate he is highly influential and the likes of Pep etc have cited him as their greatest influence, but the fact is they have been able to take what he preached and apply it at a higher level and with much more success. 

His teams are notorious for playing great football but also suffering from fatigue in the latter stages of the season. That's a big part of why they bottled promotion last season. 

Well. Unquestionably, he is a very good coach! If he'd left Leeds in May and we'd then appointed him post Bruce, few of us would be complaining. Which isn't to deny his flaws.

On a wider point, I thought Leeds quite looked different on Saturday to the equivalent game at more or less the same time last year. It was a more orthodox performance, with less of an emphasis on pressing and even swarming. I wondered if he has adjusted a bit in response to the evident fatigue at the end of last season. 

Forget about Bielsa - he isn't ours! It's one of the failings of Wednesdayites in not believing in their own. There are a lot of people on here, myself included, who like to think the grass is greener....  , and are of the opinion that a player/coach must be an instant success. We honestly believed that a) Palmer was useless, yet is proving to be not only a good Right Back, but also a fair Left Back, that b) Fox was a complete waste of time and money, yet his improvement over recent weeks is proving us wrong,c) we could not survive without FF, yet we are, and d) we are useless without Hutch and Lees, yet Lees can't get back in and Hutch is under threat.

I will be very pleased to see what Pelupessy turns out if people get off his back and allow him to adjust to Monk's way of playing .

1 hour ago, Owly Mowly said:

So does that mean we have a manager who can explain a way to play and the players can execute? I remember Tom Lees saying more than a year ago that we had to find our own way of playing and maybe finally we have that! 
You would expect the consistency to continue with us being well drilled and combative. 

Yeah I think so. I can't remember who said it but apparently Monks attention to detail is unbelievable. As he's Said himself its how intelligent the players are in understanding.

Edited by Bigblueowl
Spelling