Wigan H W 1-0

Cardiff A D 1-1

Stoke H W 1-0

Boro A W 4-1 (pinch me)

Hull A L 0-1

Leeds H D 0-0

433 P5. W3. D2. L0. GF6. GA2 = 2.2 points per game

442. P3. W1. D1. L1. GF4. GA2 = one point per game

Way too early to draw any big conclusions, but it’s interesting to see him split almost 50:50 about how we set up. Who among us would have seen us going 442 v Leeds!?!?

Boro apart, there’s no obvious sense that 442 will see us score more. Defensively in both systems we look good, though conceding only two goals from five games in 433 is Scrooge-like.

Tony Mowbray at Blackburn won’t have a clue what he will face. Will we have the Hutch- Bannan-Luongo midfield or will he face the Nuhiu-Fletcher attack? Basically he has two game-plans with one hour’s notice. Of course pro management can cope admirably with this but nonetheless it’s another arrow in our quiver that we can set up so very differently.

I suspect this thread will throw up more fans wanting to see 442 than 433? But at the very least I think there is no compelling case for it, and my view is that 433 suits our current squad better in most games. 

Edited by Holmowl
  • Agree 1

It’s actually 1.33 points per game at 442 and those are a little misleading 

Middlesbrough was a fantastic result only a fool would change that for its next away game

leeds we was unlucky not to get the points against a very very good automatic hopeful team 

across the board we have some fantastic results I think both formations work well for us depending on fixtures 

1 minute ago, fpowl said:

It’s actually 1.33 points per game at 442 and those are a little misleading 

Middlesbrough was a fantastic result only a fool would change that for its next away game

leeds we was unlucky not to get the points against a very very good automatic hopeful team 

across the board we have some fantastic results I think both formations work well for us depending on fixtures 

Sorry yes 1.33 points per game.

Wasn't the second against Huddersfield after we changed to 4-4-2?

What I like is having a manager and players that can change within game as much as from game to game. I think there's more to come in this regard.

Sorry to be that guy but 5 to 3 is nowhere near a 50/50 split 

I dislike 4-4-2, but Monk has employed it quite successfully in a couple of games, and once not so. Against Boro and Leeds, it was more about trying to expose a perceived weakness in the air in our opponents. On Saturday though, our wide players rarely delivered a telling cross, and probably the extra man in midfield would have produced a better result. Had Luongo been fit, I doubt we would have played that way.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

Haha.

I challenge you to get nearer to 50:50, other than 4 v 4. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Would like to see us try 343, similar to the way leeds lined up with Iofa, Hutch & Borner at the back and Reach/Palmer at wingback. Luongo & Bannan central with Fessi & KH floating round Fletch. Not saying it’s the answer but would be interesting to see

Monk also went 4-4-2 Rambo style for the last 17 mins against Cardiff. Nearly lost it.

11 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

Wasn't the second against Huddersfield after we changed to 4-4-2?

What I like is having a manager and players that can change within game as much as from game to game. I think there's more to come in this regard.

Yes it was. Winnall and Fletcher.

Monk also changed from 433 to 442 another time or two, even when leading and the more obvious choice would have been like for like. 

Just now, Holmowl said:

Haha.

I challenge you to get nearer to 50:50, other than 4 v 4. 

Extrapolated over 100 games 5-3 is more 65:35.

Im sorry, I’m really not usually this pedantic. Please ignore me, Half term with  screaming kids is turning me grumpy.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

Extrapolated over 100 games 5-3 is more 65:35.

Im sorry, I’m really not usually this pedantic. Please ignore me, Half term with  screaming kids is turning me grumpy.

Doing ratios homework with them using Owls line-ups?

Like your style. Modern parenting. 

• Haha 1

I just think it’s important to be adaptable.

Monks actually surprised me with the formation. Teams like Stoke and Wigan where I thought we would play 442 he’s gone 433, yet when we have gone away to Middlesbrough where I thought we would be more conservative and home to Leeds I thought we’d pack out midfield and play 433 and we played 442 and it worked brilliantly. 

Monk is doing very well with a squad of players he’s inherited. Interesting to see what he does in January.

• Agree 1

Just to throw a spanner into your works.

Do you think we truly set up as a 4-3-3 formation.

It always looks 4-1-4-1 to me with Hutchinson deep in midfield and Fletcher pretty isolated up front.

Hence a tight defence and small number of goals scored.

• Agree 2

31 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

Sorry to be that guy but the OP stated “almost 50:50” which is one game off...

Edited by slinger208b
  • Haha 1

If we are adept at playing both systems then that can't be a bad thing. 

11 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Doing ratios homework with them using Owls line-ups?

Like your style. Modern parenting. 

Coming to a GCSE Maths paper near you...

If Joey Pelupessy hits 20 passes and 75% of them go to Barry Bannan, how long will it be until somebody starts a thread on Owlstalk slagging him off?

Show your working out.

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Blatter said:

Just to throw a spanner into your works.

Do you think we truly set up as a 4-3-3 formation.

It always looks 4-1-4-1 to me with Hutchinson deep in midfield and Fletcher pretty isolated up front.

Hence a tight defence and small number of goals scored.

Yes that correct. The 4-1-4-1 becomes a bit more fluid with Hutch dropping deep and the full backs pushing on.

56 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I dislike 4-4-2, but Monk has employed it quite successfully in a couple of games, and once not so. Against Boro and Leeds, it was more about trying to expose a perceived weakness in the air in our opponents. On Saturday though, our wide players rarely delivered a telling cross, and probably the extra man in midfield would have produced a better result. Had Luongo been fit, I doubt we would have played that way.

Could have quite easily have played Lee in the Luongo role. I think that it was the plan all along to play that way and we did well. We stopped Leeds dominating the play. One of the only teams to ever do that under Bielsa's reign there. 

There was one stat I read cant remember exactly maybe attacking touches in the final third. And it was the worst under Bielsa in that game that he has ever had.

We really did a number on them like no other especially in that second half. 

And personally I believe that was all down to how Monk set us up.

I don't think it matters.

Its how we play, against Leeds Saturday I thought we were the better team. We created decent chances and should have won the game. But we still defended well. We didn't get overrun in midfield which usually happens without Hutch. Which you would expect to happen in a 442.

Monk is playing it well at the moment. If we can get Forestieri involved our creativity will increase and I can only see us improving.