Succession

Chris_B_SWFC

1 hour ago, Mr Mercury said:

Was coming that - he was taken for the fool and bang  ! 

Sensational, brilliant TV series. A shoe-in for the awards. 

I think the characters, and the way the actors / actresses inhabit them is the making of the series.

Tom, for my money, is the most interesting and complex character. Everything you hear suggests he's a competent businessman. As you say, he is highly shrewd; you could tell from the way he dismissed Kendall's overtures that he observes what's going on around him and sees the bigger picture. At the same time he's very conscious that he's not one of the family and that his career at Waystar is inextricably linked to his marriage, a marriage that he is not at all secure in. And then there's that weird co-dependency with Greg, who he alternately bullies and embraces as a fellow outsider.

And now he's taken a massive gamble. Does he really think that Logan owes him one and will look after him?

It shifts the dynamics. 

He was always dependant on Shiv. She was always going to be the one who rose to the top. 

Now, he's made his play, and he may have a seat at the top table with Logan whilst she is ostracized along with the other kids. She's going to stick with him for now, but I'm almost certain that he's going to get right royally shafted at some point. 

There is also Cousin Gregg who has is perhaps the ultimate snake in the show. 

Wasn't it Kendall who labelled him a parasite at the birthday bash? He's clocked him and knows what he's been up to the whole time. 

If you've also noticed, with each season we've had a heir apparent or Logan's new fav child. 

In Season 1, despite their fallings out, I think Logan still views Kendall as the next in line despite the betrayals, screws ups etc. 

By Season 2, he's decided that Kendall isn't up to it and tells Shiv that he sees her as the one to takeover. Unfortunately, Shiv is too impatient and ends up blotting her copybook. 

In Season 3, we see Roman get his shot and it's going pretty well until...let's not say why. 

If you go off the Season 4 finale, it appears that Tom is going to get his chance. 

Just binged this and agree with the general sentiment in here, it’s bloody brilliant. 

Reminds me very much of the Sopranos in that you have a mesmeric patriarch who dominates every scene he’s in but also a first rate wider cast. Even the likes of Ewan who only appears in a couple of episodes proper makes me laugh. Also proper love Gerri. 

I found Logan’s short monologue on American decline particularly ironic, seeing as it’s the scumbag moguls such as Murdoch who have done the most to destroy the nations social fabric and institutions. If nothing else this show really hits home the damage people like Logan Roy have done. 

Can’t wait for S4. 

I think this series must be too "grown up" for me.

I really really really wanted to like it because everyone raves about it,  but it's just people talking (I only lasted 3 episodes). I need action or drama or something.  

Does it get better? 

12 minutes ago, Kate said:

I think this series must be too "grown up" for me.

I really really really wanted to like it because everyone raves about it,  but it's just people talking (I only lasted 3 episodes). I need action or drama or something.  

Does it get better? 

no

if anything the third season is JUST talking, even more than before

i think because of covid, it had to be a lot of two people max in a room talking, i could be wrong but another show i know of had that problem.

i honestly view it primarily as show shot in the peep show universe MORE than a big HBO show... maybe that changes what you expect to see... it's far close to peep show than the wire, or GoT, or anything. probably closer to curb thinking about it.

3 hours ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

Jesus Christ how have I never heard of this show. Will check it out ASAP after the reviews in here. 

do you like peep show?

40 minutes ago, Kate said:

Does it get better? 

Lets say it takes a while to get into. It's a slow burner. It can seem bewildering at first, but as you get to know the characters, their back stories, their personalities, motivations and weaknesses it starts to make sense. Yes, it may be "people talking" (albeit punctuated by moments of high drama) but that's the point. It's all about the politics - the shifting alliances, plotting, betrayals, power struggles and humiliations. And much of it involving close family members who simply can't escape from each other. And the whole thing is riddled with abundant black humour; while it's self evidently not a comedy, there are moments which border on the laugh out loud, and the sheer awfulness of some of the characters is a constant source of amusement.

If that's not your cup of tea, then fair enough. But it definitely rewards persistence.

• Like 1