Wednesday 11 of big daft, mad , hard man nutters!

On 27/10/2019 at 17:20, asteener1867 said:

I go

Bywater

Sterland........Coughlan...Iorfa........Rushberry

Reda................  Jeff Johnson...Hutch.................Dave Clements 

Joicey ...Ritchie

VIC MOBLEY - the hard man's hard man....

Don't think Dave Rushbury fits this mold...

47 minutes ago, Jonboy27 said:

Tell us more....

Played 50 or so times for us under big Jack. Then signed for United. He was a bit eccentric apparently. Liked a pint and sometimes wore odd boots. One Puma one Adidas. The story about him sleeping in his car comes from an ex colleague. I remember him quite fondly tbh. He was always prepared for a scrap usually after he had gone through somebody with both feet.

This from.a United forum sums him up-

I remember when it was announced that we were to sign King. I already knew him from his time at Wednesday, and what I recalled was a hard working, no holds barred player with more than a modicum of skill. Although relatively slight of build, King was fearless, almost the archetypal Scottish nutter, and would go through brick walls if it was needed. He never gave less than 100%, and I suppose he was a creature of his time, but his displays were never less than worthy.

Seems he became a painter in Derby after football. 

Hard men has been done to death, so here is an XI of mavericks and characters, if not necessarily hard men:

GK: Bruce Grobbelaar - Okay, so only briefly passed through Hillsboro, but this spaghetti legged, bush war fighting, teammate thumping lunatic would be the ideal maverick keeper and has actually killed more men on his own than most 'Hard Men XI' combined

RB: Mel Sterland - tight shorts? check, 80s perm? check. Brazilian style marauding runs? check, autobiography entitled Boozing, Betting and Brawling, no other choice.

CB: Cyril Turton - a centre-back that runs faster backwards than he does going forwards? you're in

CB: Emerson Thome - of course I had to pick myself. Fond of waving to the crowd and responding to chants while the match is still going on. Thighs the size of tree trunks

LB: Reda Johnson - Full-back is the dullest position, so two maverick goal-scorers on either flank is a must.

LW: Terry Curran - Autobiography entitled Regrets of a Football Maverick, whether it was the perm, the tache or the move to the Blades he regretted, he scored one of the best all-time maverick goals at the Lane

CM: Carlton Palmer - We've got Carlton Palmer, he smokes marijuana.

CM: Tony Kay - Mad, bad and dangerous to know, the staid world of 60s football could only keep him in it for so long. Spent 12 years hiding in Spain avoiding arrest for selling counterfeit diamonds. And good enough midfielder to have made the 66 World Cup Team if he hadn't already been banned

RW: John Harkes - an American who is good at football? Voted one of 1994's 'Most Beautiful People' and dropped from a World Cup from having an affair in a sandpit. But it was not just his teammates who had to beware of Harkes, as Peter Shilton found out from 40 yards away

ST: Paul Warhurst - Centre back, centre forward, wherever he is he's charging forward with the ball. Maverick enough to almost walk-out of the time on the eve of an FA Cup final, played for 16 clubs in every position bar goalkeeper

ST: Paolo Di Canio - the mavericks maverick. Would score a brilliant solo goal one week, and get sent off arguing over a throw-in the next. And unbelievably turned into even more of a lunatic after he left Wednesday, going from nasty to nazi. Paul Alcock beware.

Manager: Vic Buckingham - trilby-wearing, Total Football inventing, Cruyff-discovering football purist, who's career after Wednesday saw him manage Ajax, Barcelona and the mighty Rodos FC.

The Bench:

Lloyd Owusu: Come on, run about a bit, drink some water, throw up. Repeat. An impact substitute in every way.

Chris Waddle: A pop star in multiple countries, the king of the stepover and of the mullet. But a bit too much of a square to make this starting XI.

Nigel Pearson: I think you are an ostrich. Your head must be in the sand. Is your head in the sand? Are you flexible enough to get your head in the sand? My suspicion would be no.

Micheli Di Piedi: No one does aimless running about better than this man. Bring him on and he'll chase anything. Including the ball as he fails to control it. Incredibly he's not retired and still running around now playing like a lunatic no doubt for Glacis United in Gibraltar, having playing in such god-foresaken football outposts as Norway, Cyprus, Lithuania, Myanmar, Venezuela, and worst of all, Doncaster, after leaving us.

Unavailable for selection due to a run-in with the law: Nile Ranger, Gary Madine

........................................Bruce Grobelaar...............................................

....Mel Sterland.......Cyril Turton......Emerson Thome......Reda Johnson..

.....................Carlton Palmer.......................Tony Kay...............................

..Terry Curran....................................................................John Harkes...

.......................Paul Warhurst................Paolo Di Canio.............................

Actually, this would be a very good team to boot. Predict a glorious failure in the league and cup due to too many late nights.

• Haha 1

Giles De Bilde worth a place on the bench. 
In a match between Anderlecht and Aalst in December 1996, he punched Krist Porte in the face, which broke his nose and injured his eye. Previously, De Bilde received a suspended two-year prison sentence in 1992 for head-butting two boy scout leaders and, four months before the Porte incident, he head-butted one nurse and punched another when he was denied access to a hospital room his father was in, having suffered a brain haemorrhage. Anderlecht's head coach, suggested that De Bilde should see a psychiatrist

Wow, never knew that about De Bilde. Could certainly have done with some of that aggression on the pitch.

Okay, De Bilde is in, and when he comes off the bench the fans can give a rousing rendition of his song:

Gilles De Bilde

Can he fix it?

Gilles De Bilde

Can he f**k

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Wow, never knew that about De Bilde. Could certainly have done with some of that aggression on the pitch.

Okay, De Bilde is in, and when he comes off the bench the fans can give a rousing rendition of his song:

Gilles De Bilde

Can he fix it?

Gilles De Bilde

Can he f**k

If my memory isn’t playing tricks then I think Giles was still serving his ban when he signed for us. 

On 29/10/2019 at 22:26, Peacenocchio said:

Played 50 or so times for us under big Jack. Then signed for United. He was a bit eccentric apparently. Liked a pint and sometimes wore odd boots. One Puma one Adidas. The story about him sleeping in his car comes from an ex colleague. I remember him quite fondly tbh. He was always prepared for a scrap usually after he had gone through somebody with both feet.

This from.a United forum sums him up-

I remember when it was announced that we were to sign King. I already knew him from his time at Wednesday, and what I recalled was a hard working, no holds barred player with more than a modicum of skill. Although relatively slight of build, King was fearless, almost the archetypal Scottish nutter, and would go through brick walls if it was needed. He never gave less than 100%, and I suppose he was a creature of his time, but his displays were never less than worthy.

Seems he became a painter in Derby after football. 

Once remember him being laid on the ground after a sliding tackle and when another opposition player went to take away the free ball he actually tried to tackle him with his HEAD !!!

Guest Jack the Hat
On 27/10/2019 at 18:36, Bulgaria said:

Lee Chapman.?????

WTF:

Saw him headbutt the gravel at white Hart Lane but hardman?

Geeeorrrw

Lee chapman wasn’t hard at all.