How do we fit Luongo in...should we fit Luongo in..and if we did...

12 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

It’s a bit like Nixon saying Monks got the green light to go for 3 players in Jan.

Obviously a goal scorer is priority ( like every other club in every league )  but who’s going to be axed ?

Easy to say drop Nuhiu but do you think Monk sees it that way ?

For the very first time yesterday I saw a TEAM  that could challenge. Tough decisions to be made 

Will that team score enough to challenge though? I agree it’s nearly there but needs slight tweaking to accommodate another striker 

Fletch  

Harris               NEW 

Bannan    Luongo

Hutch

Fox      Borner     Iorfa        Palmer 

Westwood 

That’s what I’d do, but I don’t think GM has any plans on dropping Reach, especially given his recent performances where he’s clearly been told to get on the ball more and make things happen. 

You can’t drop Hutch as he’s our defensive spine, you can’t drop Bannan because...well can you? 

Not an easy decision by any stretch. 

Edited by FreshOwl

as good as we played yesterday i'd be reverting to the 5 in midfield asap , if we are to contend then our goals against column as to be  low coz our goals scored aint going to be high no matter who or how many are up front  …..luongo for nuhiu is the obvious choice . 

43 minutes ago, A12owl said:

A single striker is fine if midfielders get into the box to assist the striker like Lee used to do. Luongo good at this. The 2 wide men need to get inside the box as well so we have plenty of players to outnumber the defenders. 

Depending on whose fit the choice of wide men as shown.

Westwood

Palmer Iorfa Börner Fox

Hutch

Luongo    Bannan

Harris/Reach      Reach/FF

Fletcher

This as a starting point. 

FF was brought in to play left side of a front three and, as I remember it, Reach as a left sided wingback?

Harris has looked less dangerous on his last 2 or 3 games. Thoughts?

9 minutes ago, Rev Owl said:

This as a starting point. 

FF was brought in to play left side of a front three and, as I remember it, Reach as a left sided wingback?

Harris has looked less dangerous on his last 2 or 3 games. Thoughts?

Need to look at the detail behind the formation. 
Example Liverpool and Man City are the two best teams in Britain. Both play 4-3-3 but in different ways. 

Liverpool play with a target and 2 inside forwards. Their width comes from attacking full-backs. Their midfield is high energy press. For:

Arnold vanDijk Matip Robertson

Henderson Fabinho Wijnaldum

Salah Firmino Mane 

We have

Odubajo Iorfa Borner Reach

Lee Hutch Luongo

Harris Fletcher Fessi

City play with A target and 2 outside forwards who provide the width. Their midfield is more attacking and creative in front of a more stay at home back four. For:

Walker Laporte Stones Mendy

Silva Rodri De Bruyne

Silva Agüero Sterling

We have 

Palmer Iorfa Borner Fox

Bannan Hutch Luongo

Reach Fletcher Harris

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Maybe we should just leave that to Gary Monk to deal with.

Absolutely we should let Monk sort it out.  But the very fact that the question has arisen, is because Wednesday is acquiring depth, nice 'problem' to have, that of choosing from competent options.  It's all about horses for courses, and Wednesday ain't all that lacking in horses.  

Almost a third of a Season is past, and Wednesday, in spite of all the negatives, including Referee's, is looking good.  

In sum I don't see it as a Luongo or ??????, at all, I see it as "horses for courses,"  Nice to have such an option.

• Like 1

On 27/10/2019 at 18:23, LittleG said:

Easy, 4-3-3 replace Nuihu with Luongo. 

Yup. I'm loving that Monk has two distinct formations and ways of playing. Against a team he thinks we'll struggle to outplay he goes with the two big men to keep more possession in their half, something we've really struggled with in recent seasons. Against teams he thinks we can play through Luongo or Lee get a start.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

Can I be controversial and suggest we play him instead of Hutchinson?  Not be long before we will be withoit his services anyway, due to collection of cards, and not a bad player to have on he bench.

Would have to disagree Hutchinson is our only truely defensive midfielder. His reading of the game and the bite he adds to the midfield no other player in our squad can match. Luongo reminds me more of a Kieran Lee up and down the pitch player. To swap them could leave us open in the middle of the park and take away Luongos attacking threat.

I loves a line up thread I do

Westwood

Iorfa.  Hutch.  Borner. 

Palmer.   Luongo. Bannan.  Reach. 

Forestieri        Harris

Fletcher

35 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

I loves a line up thread I do

Westwood

Iorfa.  Hutch.  Borner. 

Palmer.   Luongo. Bannan.  Reach. 

Forestieri        Harris

Fletcher

You got Reach doing  defending there tho' mate....